vitesse

join:2002-12-17
Saint-Jean-Sur-Richelieu, QC
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
·voip.ms
·Bell Sympatico
·Videotron

[Voip.ms] BEST ATA Adapter, OBI 202 or SPA112?

I want to buy an ATA adapter as a gift to someone.

What is the best adapter to buy for voip.ms service?

SPA112 from cisco seem the least expensive, but I don't know how good they are.

Someone has experience with modern hardware?

I had a PAP2T-NA in the past with great success and now use a Gigaset C610a IP phone system witch work like a charm. So have no idea what is good now for ATA adapter
--
Connection: ElectronicBox 60mbps / 3mbps
Bilingual DSLR ElectronicBox Forum: »ELECTRONICBOX

jimk
Premium
join:2006-04-15
Raleigh, NC
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
The SPA112 has horrible firmware issues. I think the hardware could be OK... but the latest official firmware is still buggy a year after the product was released. Cisco makes you open a support case just to get the latest beta firmware. The initial firmware release didn't even have working Caller ID support which shows just how little testing this product received before it was launched. Some issues have been resolved, but stable is not a word I would use to describe this device.

The OBi202 is much more stable, and Obihai is very responsive when there are firmware issues found with their products. They are also very easy to configure.

vitesse

I know they had firmware issue in the past but was not aware they still have it currently.

Ken1943

join:2001-12-30
Denver, CO
reply to vitesse
Just had Cisco junk. Bad out of the box.

hwittenb

join:2003-12-20
Reviews:
·Future Nine Corp..

1 edit
reply to vitesse
The OBi202 is much more flexible than the Cisco product and is better supported. In addition the OBi will support GoogleVoice which, as you know, offers free calling to the U.S. and Canada for at least 2013.

You can attach two telephones to the OBi202, supports T.38 fax and it has an internal router. If you only need a single telephone, already have a router, and don't need the T.38 fax the OBi100 is a little less expensive.

vitesse

reply to vitesse
Seem obi is the way to go. Thanks for all your answer.

Don't know about google voice, but will try to find out more about it.

suppafly
Premium
join:2009-11-27
I wouldnt say the SPA112 is a bad device, however it would definitely NOT be my first option...
--
Peter Sahui - VoIP.ms

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105
reply to jimk
This is also not to mention OBi have a separate trial release for their products, no extra fuss. You just have to follow the preview release forum thread instead of the production release thread.

I'm not so sure certain users would call them "very responsive" though. I've seen posts in their forums from time to time from users who post kinda detailed, here's what your documentation says, this is what I put in, this is what happened which does not match your documentation, and it's still broken even in the latest firmware release. dunno what to make of those.

I'm also not fond of their documentation. Sorry, but it needs proofreading and copyediting by someone who knows what the heck they are doing. For example, like so many authors these days, they randomly capitalize things without consideration as to what that actually signifies. Sorry, a pet peeve of mine I guess. It's distracting to me.

They're also sometimes not particularly good about documenting their releases. For example, two days or so ago new firmware was released (1.3.0 (Build: 2765)) with no mention on their forum post (yet) what was fixed or enhanced. You'd hope, wish, and think they'd have a good amount of coordination about that sort of thing, but not so much.

My OBi110 has operated fairly well. There were some days where Google may have changed some things, and my 110 couldn't even log in. But within a couple of days, new firmware was available, and it was fixed. And then there were about a dozen times where it rebooted without rhyme or reason while on a call...but that's over the course of over a year. All in all, it has been a very reasonable performer.
--
English is a difficult enough language to interpret correctly when its rules are followed, let alone when a writer chooses not to follow those rules.

Jeopardy! replies and randomcaps REALLY suck!

ogdensburg

join:2006-12-12
Ogdensburg, NY
reply to vitesse
PAP2T-NA (the REAL ONE, not those form China) is the best IMHO.

vitesse

Yes, but they do not sold them anymore

jduffy
Premium
join:2006-08-20
Cincinnati, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Vonage
·net2phone
·Cincinnati Bell
·ooma
reply to vitesse
The Obi202 is one of the best TAs I have ever used. Can be easily configured from the Obi on-line interface or directly on the 202 itself. I love these things. Bought two extra when they were on-sale.
--
Atheists swear there is no Heaven, but pray there isn't a Hell.

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

1 edit
reply to vitesse
said by vitesse:

Still available here and there.

Amazon US (new)
»www.amazon.com/Cisco-Business-PA···00HCX7UG

Amazon Canada (used)
»www.amazon.ca/gp/offer-listing/B···ion=used

EDIT: See comments below on the possible Hong Kong issues.

crazyk4952
Premium
join:2002-02-04
united state
kudos:1
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Vitelity VOIP
·Charter
·Callcentric
reply to ogdensburg
said by ogdensburg:

I thought so too until mine crapped out a year and a half after a bought it!

daley

@verizon.net
reply to vitesse
grandstream ht701 or ht702

Mango
What router are you using?
Premium
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net
For those of us who have never used a Grandstream device, why would you recommend one of those over an OBi?

jimk
Premium
Raleigh, NC
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

Cost is the one advantage I can think of... a 2 port HT702 is only $40. There's also a 4 port model available for less than $100. Meanwhile, an OBi 202 is $70. All prices are from Newegg.

Not sure how the firmware is on current Grandstream devices.

I still prefer OBi 100/110/202 devices overall.

wcweaver
Premium
join:2002-02-22
Fort Myers, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to PX Eliezer70
said by PX Eliezer70:

said by vitesse:

Still available here and there.

Amazon US (new)
»www.amazon.com/Cisco-Business-PA···00HCX7UG

Hi PX

I would bet that these are counterfeit units as they are coming from Hong Kong. All of the counterfeits seemed to come from Hong Kong.
Maybe genuine, but I don't think I would chance it.

Bill

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
Good point, maybe so!

jimk
Premium
Raleigh, NC
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to wcweaver
said by wcweaver:

Hi PX

I would bet that these are counterfeit units as they are coming from Hong Kong. All of the counterfeits seemed to come from Hong Kong.
Maybe genuine, but I don't think I would chance it.

Bill

Agreed... It is either fake or possibly leftover stock. The PAP2T is no longer being shipped by Cisco, and will soon no longer be supported for firmware updates. »www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collate···465.html

It is time to move on from this model, which is unfortunate since it worked very well for so many people.

ogdensburg

join:2006-12-12
Ogdensburg, NY
reply to crazyk4952
said by crazyk4952:

said by ogdensburg:

I thought so too until mine crapped out a year and a half after a bought it!

My PAP2T-NA works 7x24 hrs since 2007. It's REAL pap2t . I did change the power supply in 2011 because the plug is broken when I move my equipment around. Have OBI device (obi100 and obi202) too but this PAP2T-NA is more reliable than these OBI devices. It's still my primary phone adapter now. I bet it can run other 5 years

I use OBI devices with google voice but it needs reboot occasionally (OBI202) which is no good for me as primary phone. I use obi100 (tiny device) when I travel, which replaced my old Linksys SPA1001. obi100 is more reliable than 202.

crazyk4952
Premium
join:2002-02-04
united state
kudos:1
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Vitelity VOIP
·Charter
·Callcentric
said by ogdensburg:

My PAP2T-NA works 7x24 hrs since 2007. It's REAL pap2t .

Yeah, mine was a real one too bought from a reputable source.