Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4

FYI ...Millenicom

As of January 1, 2013 the Millenicom Advanced plan will no longer be offered. Existing customers on that plan will continue to be supported.
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

m12345s

join:2010-10-13
Bolivar, MO

Do you know if this is temporary, like they are waiting for more devices? Or is it more permanent?

mad monk

join:2007-11-02
usa east coa
reply to Jim_in_VA

Are they warming up for an LTE package?

Jim_in_VA

Cobbs Creek, VA
reply to m12345s

It is permanent

Jim_in_VA

Cobbs Creek, VA
reply to Jim_in_VA

The only connection Millenicom will offer on the Verizon network will be the Novatel 4620LE Jetpack ... nothing else.
--

Jim_in_VA

Cobbs Creek, VA
reply to Jim_in_VA

stick USB modems are dinosaurs. A Jetpack Mifi is far superior to make a connection. Has a external antenna port, easy to configure.
--

student

join:2012-12-24
Los Angeles, CA

The 4620LE (the device Millenicom uses for their Hotspot Plan) is LTE and backwards compatible to 3G. It can interface with routers that can pick up a WiFi signal so does everything a USB device does plus can act as its own router (simultaneous connection to 10 wireless devices projecting its signal 50' in all directions). Millenicom has a desktop WiFi adapter for $19.99 for people whose computers don't have WiFi capability.

eng645

@myvzw.com

I currently have the 20GB Advanced plan and use a MBR1000 router, So when LTE is available at my location will I be able to use the 4620LE and do away with the MBR1000?

decifal

join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN
kudos:1
reply to Jim_in_VA

If they could lower the price to 59.95 that would ease the pain a little... :-/ I know they are at the mercy of the upstream providers though...

Jim_in_VA

Cobbs Creek, VA
reply to eng645

yes, The 4620LE is a modem/router combination. If you need wired connectivity you can pair it with a newer Cradlepoint.
--

eng645

@myvzw.com

Is there any chance they will up the 20GB limit on the Advanced plan?

Jim_in_VA

Cobbs Creek, VA
Reviews:
·Metrocast Commun..

doubtful. If you went direct with Verizon (using the Jetpack) it would cost $120 per month for 10GB of data. Obviously Millenicom's offer of 20GB of data for $70.00 is far superior ... and no contract/taxes.
--

armed

join:2000-10-20
Reviews:
·Charter

said by Jim_in_VA:

doubtful. If you went direct with Verizon (using the Jetpack) it would cost $120 per month for 10GB of data. Obviously Millenicom's offer of 20GB of data for $70.00 is far superior ... and no contract/taxes.

+1
I'm a happy camper with mine!

swigen

join:2012-12-22
Mercer, PA

2 edits
reply to Jim_in_VA

Actually it's $80 and some change for 10GB on Verizon, on an account that has no phones. I recently upgraded from the 5GB to the 10GB plan in the middle of the month. I chose the option to "avoid overages!" but lo and behold they prorated it on their own terms: Even though I used _under_ 10GB total for the billing period, they charged me "overage" for the first half of the month (I used more than 2.5GB in two weeks) and overage for the remainder of the month that I was on the 10GB plan...(I used just a hair more than 5GB for the last two weeks). They are very adept at milking you for every penny they can.

The only things keeping me from switching to Millenicom are the startup costs and the ridiculous hardware charge. I already have the modem/mifi.

Cap2010

join:2010-02-19
Foley, AL

1 edit

^ I'll take Millenicom's 20GB with the JetPack for 69mo every month over all that hassle. December was a the first month I really needed that 20GB as I used about 17, no worries though. I'm a happy camper too!

kevnich24

join:2006-04-19
Mulberry, FL
reply to swigen

Actually the hardware costs for what you get are superior to any other provider. Buy the millenicom and then simply sell the hardware you have to recoup your costs. The only other charge is the activation fee which to me, is nominal. You're paying more to verizon on your current plan with taxes and everything else than you would to millenicom which is a fixed fee as long as you don't go over 20gb/month. But hey, your choice.

Verizon is too much in it for it's share holders and have turned on it's customers too much for my liking. I know a company needs to make profit but...come on now, when is enough enough.

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
reply to Jim_in_VA

i'm not surprised. The 760 series of modems is getting dated, although they seem to work ok.

SPRINT was selling them for $9.99 recently. Not sure how Millenicom sold them for $99 for so long.

said by Jim_in_VA:

As of January 1, 2013 the Millenicom Advanced plan will no longer be offered. Existing customers on that plan will continue to be supported.

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
reply to Jim_in_VA

When Millenicom (an IF) gets the Sprint Tri-Fi Hotspot, that will be something to brag about and pay a little extra for.....

swigen

Mercer, PA
reply to kevnich24

Thanks for the reply. I do agree with you, and I could ebay the hardware we have and switch to Millenicom before the big red monopoly gets another dime from me (been on a month to month plan since day 1) ... but inertia wins sometimes. Sort of waiting to see what's coming from Page Plus in the near future -- I read some rumors.

What are the overage fees at Millenicom on the Verizon hotspot plan? Not that I'd need more than 20GB, but just curious.

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3
reply to compuguybna

Sprint probably subsidized the cost of the modem from other revenue. I like the 760, as I carry it with me in my shirt pocket. If I am without my laptop computer, I can use another without using some of their monthly data cap. It would be more difficult to do that with the larger MiFi devices.

student

Los Angeles, CA
reply to swigen

Swigen ~ there are never overage fees with Millenicom. If a customer goes over consistently or egregiously they have you create another account (which you can later close without penalty if you no longer require as much data).

swigen

Mercer, PA

thank you, student, that's interesting. does the 2nd account require the setup fee all over again, and extra hardware, etc?

student

Los Angeles, CA

The set-up fee is always $19.99 for existing or returning customers (except for returning BYOD accounts). Otherwise the other charges are the same (device purchase, shipping and monthly fee).

mogamer

join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI
reply to Jim_in_VA

said by Jim_in_VA:

stick USB modems are dinosaurs. A Jetpack Mifi is far superior to make a connection. Has a external antenna port, easy to configure.

The Jetpack is better in a home enviroment or if your using a tablet. But when you're on the road and your using a laptop, it would be a pain to set-up, turn on and boot-up two different devices. A usb stick is a lot better in that situation. Very disappointing that they're not even going to be an option.

kevnich24

join:2006-04-19
Mulberry, FL

Actually after having tried both, the hotspot is actually quicker. My laptop actually connects to the hotspot quicker than it finds and connects to the usb card. Only downside is the hotspot needs it's own battery but my laptop charger has a separate charger for this anyway so, no big deal for me. Plus I can use more than one device with the hotspot.

swigen

Mercer, PA
reply to mogamer

in my experience, a USB modem with a cradlepoint router is more stable with extended use than a hotspot. it stays cooler and doesn't drop the connection like a hotspot does when it's too warm.

does millenicom usb stick need software to connect? (the equivalent of VZaccess manager)

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3

Yes, the USB modem sticks need either the Millenicom software or something designed to work with that particular modem like VZAccess. Once you get it initialized the first time with the software using a computer, I have found you can just swap it among various Cradlepoint models with no problem. With the proper settings on the Cradlepoints, you just plug it in and it makes the connection all by itself.

swigen

Mercer, PA
reply to Jim_in_VA

thanks davidhoffman.

Theoretically, one could get the Millenicom hotspot plan and pull out the sim card and put it into their own 4g usb stick, if they still wanted to use a USB stick. (it works this way without a hitch on Verizon)

YellowHammer

join:2004-12-09
United State
reply to Jim_in_VA

I have two novatel 760 and two MBR routers. I love them sooooo much. It's a shame this is going away.

Jim_in_VA

Cobbs Creek, VA

Its not going away for you, its just not available for new subs
--