Search similar:

uniqs
student5
join:2012-12-24
Los Angeles, CA

student5 to swigen

to swigen

Re: FYI ...Millenicom

Swigen ~ there are never overage fees with Millenicom. If a customer goes over consistently or egregiously they have you create another account (which you can later close without penalty if you no longer require as much data).
swigen
join:2012-12-22
Mercer, PA

swigen

thank you, student, that's interesting. does the 2nd account require the setup fee all over again, and extra hardware, etc?
student5
join:2012-12-24
Los Angeles, CA

student5

The set-up fee is always $19.99 for existing or returning customers (except for returning BYOD accounts). Otherwise the other charges are the same (device purchase, shipping and monthly fee).
mogamer
join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI

mogamer to Jim_in_VA

to Jim_in_VA
said by Jim_in_VA:

stick USB modems are dinosaurs. A Jetpack Mifi is far superior to make a connection. Has a external antenna port, easy to configure.

The Jetpack is better in a home enviroment or if your using a tablet. But when you're on the road and your using a laptop, it would be a pain to set-up, turn on and boot-up two different devices. A usb stick is a lot better in that situation. Very disappointing that they're not even going to be an option.
kevnich24
join:2006-04-19
Mulberry, FL

kevnich24

Actually after having tried both, the hotspot is actually quicker. My laptop actually connects to the hotspot quicker than it finds and connects to the usb card. Only downside is the hotspot needs it's own battery but my laptop charger has a separate charger for this anyway so, no big deal for me. Plus I can use more than one device with the hotspot.
swigen
Mercer, PA

swigen to mogamer

to mogamer
in my experience, a USB modem with a cradlepoint router is more stable with extended use than a hotspot. it stays cooler and doesn't drop the connection like a hotspot does when it's too warm.

does millenicom usb stick need software to connect? (the equivalent of VZaccess manager)
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

Yes, the USB modem sticks need either the Millenicom software or something designed to work with that particular modem like VZAccess. Once you get it initialized the first time with the software using a computer, I have found you can just swap it among various Cradlepoint models with no problem. With the proper settings on the Cradlepoints, you just plug it in and it makes the connection all by itself.
swigen
Mercer, PA

swigen to Jim_in_VA

to Jim_in_VA
thanks davidhoffman.

Theoretically, one could get the Millenicom hotspot plan and pull out the sim card and put it into their own 4g usb stick, if they still wanted to use a USB stick. (it works this way without a hitch on Verizon)
YellowHammer
join:2004-12-09
United State

YellowHammer to Jim_in_VA

to Jim_in_VA
I have two novatel 760 and two MBR routers. I love them sooooo much. It's a shame this is going away.
Jim_in_VA (banned)
join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

Its not going away for you, its just not available for new subs
YellowHammer
join:2004-12-09
United State

YellowHammer

Cool.