uniqs

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to davidg

Premium Member

to davidg

Re: Why is neutral conncted to ground in the fuse box/panel?

+1 again

I guess that those of us wasted our time studying and getting our license? All we need to do is to come to a Home Improvement forum and ask about anything we need to know.

To think I could have avoided 2 years of M - F, 8 hour classes and 5 years of 3 and 4 nights per week of classes.

There are people on here that have no business opening up a panel yet are encouraged by some to perform functions that these folks should not be attempting. What's even worse is some of the posters giving this advice clearly don't know themselves.

Hagar
join:2004-10-31
Sunnyvale, CA

Hagar

I personally do think the ‘You are in over your head’ posts are useful. Electricity is dangerous and it is important to follow code so the next electrician does not get a nasty surprise. I have been lurking in this forum and one of the reasons I read it is just because there are professional that take their time to explain things. Jack_in_VA you are on my list of pros that I read extra carefully.

I am a curious person and have lived in many places in the world. Some of them did not have a neutral to ground connection in the main panel. Maybe they had a connection upstream at the pole. The last place I saw no neutral ground connection had a whole house GFI. One lab I visited had two grounds, regular ground that was connected to neutral and reference ground that was not.

Sorry if not providing any context in the first post.

/edit typos
Expand your moderator at work

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to Hagar

Mod

to Hagar

said by Hagar:

I am a curious person and have lived in many places in the world. Some of them did not have a neutral to ground connection in the main panel. Maybe they had a connection upstream at the pole. The last place I saw no neutral ground connection had a whole house GFI. One lab I visited had two grounds, regular ground that was connected to neutral and reference ground that was not.

It would be a mistake to think that all power distribution systems around the world are the same as the system used in the United States. As you list your location as Sunnyvale, CA; I based my response to your question on the system used in the US. That by no means should imply that all electrical systems have the neutral and ground bonded as is required with our system.
Expand your moderator at work

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to robbin

Premium Member

to robbin

said by robbin:

said by Hagar:

It would be a mistake to think that all power distribution systems around the world are the same as the system used in the United States. As you list your location as Sunnyvale, CA; I based my response to your question on the system used in the US. That by no means should imply that all electrical systems have the neutral and ground bonded as is required with our system.

Don't think it is correct everywhere in the US.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

1 recommendation

John Galt6

Premium Member

said by AVD:

Don't think it is correct everywhere in the US.

Citation...?