spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Bonka
join:2002-12-05
Tamaqua, PA

Bonka

Service Electric 'new' hookup charge

I'm going to get the 12/1 internet installed at my house since I'm tired of Frontier DSL, possibly moving up to a triple play package at a later date, and taking advantage of the free 2 months they're offering (free install, free 2 months modem rental and internet service, pay for 2 months after). The thing is, they're charging me $70 to run a new cable through our underground conduit. We used to have cable tv service from them probably 10+ years ago and there seems to be 2 cables out there that are cut on at least 1 end, most likely by the cable company.

I've been told by a few people that cable companies generally are responsible for the line up to your house, once you're inside, that's up to you, so why am I being charged to pull a new cable through (which I could probably do myself if they allowed me)? The service rep told me they charge everyone for it, but to me it seems bogus, especially when their FAQ on the website says if you need a new line run to your home for an internet install, there's no charge. Plus if I cancel service I bet they come out and cut the cable and charge me to pull a new one if I renew service at a later date. What a racket.

This plus the fact I called them on 12/17 and I'll probably be lucky to get the new cable pulled by 1/4 then have to schedule another install for the internet makes me question whether I really want to deal with them.

edit: I'm closest to the Mahanoy City system and talked to Hazelton reps, I think they cover for both areas.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

2 edits

rody_44

Premium Member

Its free for them to maintain the initial charge can be free or not. In other words once its in its on them if it goes bad as long as you have the account. You cancel it may or may not start all over. Its up to them. probably would be free if you just went ahead and ordered he triple play now instead of waiting.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

1 recommendation

beachintech to Bonka

Premium Member

to Bonka
Cable companies don't cut the drop to turn off service. They disconnect it and install a locking terminator (If the system is still doing physical disconnects).
nrobot80
join:2012-12-05
Union City, GA

nrobot80 to Bonka

to Bonka
That makes no sense to charge you for a drop. You can't have service without a drop. If they charge you I'd contact the local franchise authority. Only authorized workers are allowed in the pedestal boxes or up on pole anyway.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech

Premium Member

The loophole is they charge your for the install, which covers what's needed, rather than just for installing a drop.
Bonka
Tamaqua, PA

Bonka

The special they're running includes free internet install, supposedly. I'm going to need extra cable run inside my house to reach where the modem needs to be. I thought about buying a 50 ft cable to have on hand in case they try telling me the install isn't free if they have to run that new cable inside, as long as I can return it to the store if I don't need it. I'll ask the 'construction' guy who will be pulling the new cable outside if he thinks I'll have any trouble with the free install inside.

I do still think it's ridiculous to be charged for them to be able to provide service to me. I can see if we needed line run up to my pole outside, but that's not the case. That said, don't really think there's a way to avoid it, oh well.
nrobot80
join:2012-12-05
Union City, GA

nrobot80

If they quoted you a price and gave you something in writing that noted a free install I'd hold on to it. If you currently don't have service at your house then a tech does need to come out and connect you at the pole, even if that involves running a new drop. As far as the inside wiring goes I'd let the tech do what he has to do to get your internet up an running. You are able to run your own cable inside your house, be advised if a tech comes to your house because you have trouble getting online then you will be charged for a failed self install. Being a former cable tech, 99% of the failed self installs I went to were because the customer ran their own wiring, the data signal runs at higher frequency's so the wiring and fittings need to be in great condition in order to have good connectivity. Personally I think the self install is a way for companies to make more money, they know most people can't install the service right, so when they can't get online and call for support then send a tech out to get the customer connected, then charge $99 or more for the truck roll. But that makes too much sense to send a tech in the first place.
Bonka
Tamaqua, PA

Bonka

I'm just looking at picking up a cable for less than $20 to have on hand in case I'm told the free internet install is voided by not having it completely pre-wired. I'll just throw it on the floor until I can run it through our drop ceiling myself. Trying to avoid any more surprise fees.
Bonka

Bonka

Apparently the $70 I'm paying for the underground install covers all install, so I'm not even saving any money on an install with their special. I'm also scheduled for install on Jan 16th, over 4 weeks after calling them on Dec 17th. Pretty pathetic IMO.