they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin to TheRayBan

MVM

to TheRayBan

Re: [Connection Sharing] Possible to use DECA BROADBAND ADAPTER

You can use two DECA adapters to carry internet over coax. How well it works depends on what else is being carried over the cable. I use my OTA coax to connect two rooms, but I lose channel 33. Since I have separate runs for DTV with local channels, it's not a big loss.

TheRayBan
join:2003-10-09
Bakersfield, CA

TheRayBan

Wow... Thank you Mr. Bill!! They are so cheap I think I will give it a try and see what happens. I guess with Uverse the only thing going through the house's existing coax cable right now is the TV signal. Looks like the existing phone lines are connected to the Uverse router/modem and the internet is wireless from the Uverse router/modem. So, I am hoping running the internet through the coax cable will not mess up the TV.

Thank you again!!! Ray

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

John97

Premium Member

I use the DECA adapters to carry my network/internet connection to two other locations in my house. I have a network switch connected to each adapter, and a wireless AP connected to each network switch.

I do have DirecTV, however. But, just wanted to add that in my case they work great and the price is right. I got the idea to use them by reading stuff I found online when trying to figure out the easiest way to get a connection at the other end of my L-shaped single story house.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to billaustin

MVM

to billaustin
That is interesting - sure looks like a low cost version of MOCA. I'll have to keep that in mind if I ever need LAN access in our master bedroom, have coax but no Ethernet.

I found a little more in the way of technical detail:
»www.satpro.tv/deca-bb1mr0.aspx

BTW Amazon has new ones cheaper then eBay, I always double check eBay prices.
»www.amazon.com/DIRECTV-D ··· 04HAOWLW

There is a filter but I could not find any technical info, but from billaustin See Profile experience it sounds like system uses at least channel 33 perhaps one or two channels on each side.

Not sure what if any encryption is being used. If you use OTA and do not use a preamp this thing may broadcast Ethernet traffic back out the antenna. Someone nearby will probably not be able to use another unit to connect to your LAN but may be able to set up an antenna and snoop traffic.

Hard to beat the price.

/tom

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

These devices are a basic ethernet to coax bridge. Their intended use is to connect the router to the DirecTV SWM system so the DVR's have internet access over the coax. They just happen to work well for using coax to carry ethernet to places where pulling cat5e cable may be difficult.

The filter is to go on the back of standard DTV receivers to prevent them from interfering with the internet signal (like a DSL filter). If I was worried about snooping, I could put one in the line up to the OTA antenna to contain the signal.

John97
Premium Member
Spring Hill, FL

John97

Premium Member

said by billaustin:

These devices are a basic ethernet to coax bridge. Their intended use is to connect the router to the DirecTV SWM system so the DVR's have internet access over the coax. They just happen to work well for using coax to carry ethernet to places where pulling cat5e cable may be difficult.

Exactly. That's why I used them. My house is block construction, on a slab, in Florida. Pulling cable through the attic is a nightmare because there is about 18" of insulation on the attic floor and even the interior walls of the house have insulation behind the sheetrock.

They work good. My son's computer, XBox, and whatever else he has is all connected through the DECA adapters. He plays WoW, CoD, and that kind of stuff and has no complaints about lag or anything else because the speed is 100MB full-duplex.

TheRayBan
join:2003-10-09
Bakersfield, CA

TheRayBan to John97

to John97
Hey John, My house is L-Shaped too and the signal is just not strong enough to get back there. Immediately after reading Mr. Bill's note I ordered three of these from Amazon at 15 bucks each with Prime I got free shipping and no tax. Tom, I too checked eBay, but bought the same ones you listed the link for on Amazon which seemed to be a better deal. They have already shipped and are supposed to arrive Wednesday. I will report back after I get them installed and let you guys know how it all turned out. Nervous Grin!! HA!

Thank you so much for everyone's help!!

Happy New Year! Ray
TheRayBan

TheRayBan

Hey Guys, I received them today and wow, they are amazing! Hooked them up and they just work. Nothing to do and the speeds are awesome. I think I am going to buy one more. Thank you again for all everyone's help!

John97
Premium Member
Spring Hill, FL

John97

Premium Member

said by TheRayBan:

Hey Guys, I received them today and wow, they are amazing! Hooked them up and they just work. Nothing to do and the speeds are awesome. I think I am going to buy one more. Thank you again for all everyone's help!

Nice. Glad it worked out. I got two of them so far.

I have 7 locations in the house where there is a coax connection. If I ever need ethernet at any of them, I can just get another one.