Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts to takeahike

to takeahike

Re: Fuck Dell

said by takeahike:

said by H_T_R_N:

I make my living off of people not being able to get to the hard drive.
Price your repair acordlingly and infor the client that you might have to destroy the keyboard to get to the drive and that if you do there will be an additional charge. Simple!

Haven't you heard the line: For that, I'll just buy a new computer!

If that's the case, it sounds like you're overcharging.

takeahike
You sure ask a lot of dumb questions
Premium Member
join:2005-01-07
Catacombs

1 edit

takeahike

Premium Member

said by Moffetts:

said by takeahike:

said by H_T_R_N:

Haven't you heard the line: For that, I'll just buy a new computer!

If that's the case, it sounds like you're overcharging.

Haven't you heard: laptops start at $200-$300 dollars. I charge $130 to recover anything less than an extreme amount of data, format the drive and re-load the OS, with of course all drivers, updates and plug-ins, like adobe flash, java, winrar, a burning program, an anti-virus and usually iTunes. Sounds reasonable to me. If I added more on top of that the client would be thinking new system (on which I'd make virtually nothing if I tried to compete with the likes of Dell, etc.) The way I'm often able to convince them that the repair makes more sense is by educating them to the fact that the new system will not come with all their docs, pics and other data and that they'd have to pay up-wards of $100 to get that data transferred, which I of course "include" in the repair service. To be honest, if you're fixing systems and you haven't heard that famous line I'd like to move to your neighborhood.

By the way, on the deal that prompted me to start this thread it turned out that the hard drive was bad so I had to get it out somehow. Just got more aggressive with the keyboard and then the palm-rest came off easily after removing the ten (yes, ten) screws on the backside. I was lucky that the client didn't stop the deal when I told them it was going to cost the original $120 I quoted them plus $100 for a new drive, especially since they really had no data that they were concerned about recovering. Well, now that I've done one of these, maybe it won't be as intimidating the next time.

BK3
join:2001-04-10
Geneva, IL

BK3

said by takeahike:

Haven't you heard: laptops start at $200-$300 dollars. I charge $130 to recover anything less than an extreme amount of data, format the drive and re-load the OS, with of course all drivers, updates and plug-ins, like adobe flash, java, winrar, a burning program, an anti-virus and usually iTunes. Sounds reasonable to me.

Wow, you charge twice the amount I do for the same work.
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts

said by BK3:

said by takeahike:

Haven't you heard: laptops start at $200-$300 dollars. I charge $130 to recover anything less than an extreme amount of data, format the drive and re-load the OS, with of course all drivers, updates and plug-ins, like adobe flash, java, winrar, a burning program, an anti-virus and usually iTunes. Sounds reasonable to me.

Yes, case in point.

OP, even if you charged $150 for the "more difficult" models, you'll still make out like a bandit.

OmenQ
Spazz
Premium Member
join:2003-03-21
Continuum

OmenQ to BK3

Premium Member

to BK3
He's still charging less than Geek Squad.
Since PC repairs aren't my primary line of work, when people want me to fix their computers I quote them "Half of what Geek Squad would charge for similar work."
Works out to about $75 for a virus removal job, or $125 for saving their files, wiping and reloading. That doesn't include any hardware they might need, of course.

BK3
Geneva, IL

1 recommendation

BK3

I don't mind geek squad. I make good "beer and pizza" money cleaning up the messes they make.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to takeahike

to takeahike
said by takeahike:

By the way, on the deal that prompted me to start this thread it turned out that the hard drive was bad so I had to get it out somehow. Just got more aggressive with the keyboard and then the palm-rest came off easily after removing the ten (yes, ten) screws on the backside. I was lucky that the client didn't stop the deal when I told them it was going to cost the original $120 I quoted them plus $100 for a new drive, especially since they really had no data that they were concerned about recovering. Well, now that I've done one of these, maybe it won't be as intimidating the next time.

I bought one of those cheap Dells then found out about the hard drive. There are a few youtube videos that make it look relatively easy though if I ever have to replace the drive even with the keyboard. Just step by step and reverse to put back together.

takeahike
Premium Member
Catacombs

takeahike to BK3

Premium Member

to BK3
said by BK3:

said by takeahike:

Well, if I was doing this just for beer and pizza half the amount would be fine. Do you have a "day" job that pays the mortgage? Do you just work out of your house? If your answers are affirmative and this is just your sideline it is a totally different matter. This is my full-time "job." I also have a retail shop to pay rent on plus of course I have my house and everything that goes along with that. My prices are very competitive, way lower than Geek Squad or Staples, and are commonplace for this part of the country.

Wily_One
Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

1 recommendation

Wily_One

Premium Member

said by takeahike:

This is my full-time "job."

And thus not Enterprise IT related. Your post is about the hassles of fixing people's #@$!! computers, when the very NAME of this forum is "No, I Will Not Fix Your #@$!! Computer!"

I used to do side work along these lines, and for me it was more trouble than it was worth. (and I charged $90-100/hr) I only work for family now.

Bottom line is if you choose to do jobs like this, then you choose to work on all the craptastic low-end Dells, HPs, etc. no matter how cheaply made or hard to work on they are. As others have said, most companies have a standard model or set of models, which I guarantee their tech support staff have learned how to work on with their eyes closed.

BK3
Geneva, IL

BK3 to takeahike

to takeahike
said by takeahike:

said by BK3:

said by takeahike:

Well, if I was doing this just for beer and pizza half the amount would be fine. Do you have a "day" job that pays the mortgage? Do you just work out of your house?

Yes, Global corp IT support.
Yes
If anyone tried to charge the prices you do here in my neck of the woods, my side work would jump to such an amount that I would not be able to keep up, nor would I try. I try to limit myself to 1 or 2 a week, that's all I want. I don't sell systems, software or add-ons, and only the occasional repair part (not marked up).

95% of the computers people bring to me to work on are Dell, (mostly software issues) plus where I work is a Dell shop. So all day and into the night it is Dell, Dell, Dell. So, I have gotten quite proficient at working with Dells of all models.

takeahike
Premium Member
Catacombs

4 edits

takeahike to Wily_One

Premium Member

to Wily_One
said by Wily_One:

said by takeahike:

This is my full-time "job."

And thus not Enterprise IT related. Your post is about the hassles of fixing people's #@$!! computers, when the very NAME of this forum is "No, I Will Not Fix Your #@$!! Computer!"

Well, where's the right forum? I haven't seen anything close except this one for this type of discussion. "Choosing" a line of work is not quite as simple as deciding what to eat for dinner. I have to avoid starving to death during any career changes to a cushy corporate job.
takeahike

takeahike to BK3

Premium Member

to BK3
I guess different parts of the country have different rates. What are major retailers--for example, Geek Squad or Staples--or small independent shops in your area charging?

Wily_One
Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

Wily_One to takeahike

Premium Member

to takeahike
I'd say the »Computer Hardware Help forum.

takeahike
Premium Member
Catacombs

takeahike

Premium Member

I wanted opinions from those who work on systems, not from potential customers trying to do it themselves. Looks like there really is no forum for my line of work.

BK3
Geneva, IL

1 edit

BK3 to takeahike

to takeahike
said by takeahike:

I guess different parts of the country have different rates. What are major retailers--for example, Geek Squad or Staples--or small independent shops in your area charging?

The only big box near me is Best Buy - The rates are set by the BB corp. I don't track them. They don't have a sign out displaying the rates. Several people have come to me after GS really messed up their computer. The GS reputation around here is very low. People seem to like me when I do the service work.

OOOps - forgot - There is a Staples near me, but I have never seen or heard of anyone getting a computer serviced there. I don't remember a sign or advertisement telling the rates.

There used to be a CompUSA near here. They were charging $100.00 up front to look at a machine, then applying that to the labor if you accepted the estimate. They are now out of business - need I say more?

Edit - spelling

takeahike
Premium Member
Catacombs

takeahike

Premium Member

Thanks! The big box stores are out-of-business more because of on-line pricing of components. Probably their service kept them in business as long as it could, similar to car dealerships who often have to sell their inventory at cut-rate prices. I'm sure you've noticed in the business news that Best Buy is in deep trouble and is making it into articles discussing brands that may no longer be here at the end of 2013.

dfrandin
Premium Member
join:2002-06-14
Las Vegas, NV

dfrandin to nonymous

Premium Member

to nonymous
said by nonymous:

I bought one of those cheap Dells then found out about the hard drive...

There's your mistake..Buying one of those "cheap Dells".. A retired 20+ year laptop tech/10+ years on Dells.. Dell laptops are fabulous IF you stay with the corporate models, namely Latitude and Precision, and Optiplex/Precision on desktops.. These laptop models are the "two screws to remove harddrive" types.. The "home user" Inspirons? not so much... And pricewise? Since I'm retired, I do a fair amount of consulting on computer issues, and I swear by the Dell Outlet.. I've lost track of how many people I've steered to purchasing a corporate model laptop (or desktop) from the Outlet.. The systems are current model, come with 3 year warantees, US-based support, are factory-refurbished, and come with a serious discount, from 10% to 25%, depending on which of the three condition tiers you buy from. Never had a client come back and say "Hey.. that Dell I bought was $@#%#$%43"... Not once..
Just my .02..

LVDave

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

1 recommendation

dennismurphy to takeahike

Premium Member

to takeahike
$130 to copy data off, reformat, reload Wintendo, update all the drivers etc, patches, etc and all that frustration? That's a bargain if I've ever heard one!

No way would I do it for that little ... I'd have to charge at least 4x that just for my frustration factor!

Glad there are honest folks like you out there - no way could I deal with all that stress for $130.

People ask me all the time about working on their PC - my usual response is 'you can't afford me' and I usually mean it

takeahike
Premium Member
Catacombs

takeahike

Premium Member

Thanks! There are opinions on the other side.

Poorfellow
join:2008-03-16
Taco Town

Poorfellow to takeahike

to takeahike
Your MO is to convince "customers" that their documents are immobile, and therefore a repair is necessary to allow them to retain them? You actually tell them that?

takeahike
Premium Member
Catacombs

4 edits

takeahike

Premium Member

No, I never said that nor would it make any sense since if you can put them back on the hard drive you could put them anywhere else. I just include data recovery along with the fix of the OS and advise them that if they bought a new system it would cost them additional for someone--not necessarily me--to recover their data from the old one. Does every new topic have to include a "no trolling" warning?
Expand your moderator at work
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to dfrandin

to dfrandin

Re: Fuck Dell

said by dfrandin:

said by nonymous:

I bought one of those cheap Dells then found out about the hard drive...

There's your mistake..Buying one of those "cheap Dells".. A retired 20+ year laptop tech/10+ years on Dells.. Dell laptops are fabulous IF you stay with the corporate models, namely Latitude and Precision, and Optiplex/Precision on desktops.. These laptop models are the "two screws to remove harddrive" types.. The "home user" Inspirons? not so much... And pricewise? Since I'm retired, I do a fair amount of consulting on computer issues, and I swear by the Dell Outlet.. I've lost track of how many people I've steered to purchasing a corporate model laptop (or desktop) from the Outlet.. The systems are current model, come with 3 year warantees, US-based support, are factory-refurbished, and come with a serious discount, from 10% to 25%, depending on which of the three condition tiers you buy from. Never had a client come back and say "Hey.. that Dell I bought was $@#%#$%43"... Not once..
Just my .02..

LVDave

I watched a couple youtube videos that make it look easy. Famous last words. Just hope I do not have to do anything for at least few years or more. Plus it was cheap. If I get a few years i am fine. If I have to figure out a hard drive then it will not matter if I fail.