camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to RR Conductor

Re: [Bill] Is anybody else's HSI going up?

I just got a new bill. My HSI is going up over 6%.

What amazes me is that the cost of data communications has dropped over the past years, yet Comcast seems to find justification for a price increase multiple times the rate of increase of inflation.

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:2

HSI Part Only Increase

Total Bill Increase
said by camper:

I think you may want to check your math, or figure things out again.

For me, my HSI part went up 3.34%. If you look at the pictures above, my HSI part was $149.95. An increase of $5.00 is only 3.34%, per the math.

My total bill went from $198.56 to $206.33, which is an increase of $7.77. 3.91% of 198.56 is what is shown in the 2nd picture.

So, if yours went up more then 6%, then your total bill went up twice as much as mine did. That, from a quick calculation, is at least an increase of $15.54 ($7.77 * 2 = $15.54).

By the way, the pictures come from going to google, and putting in the following into the search box

"what is 3.91% of 198.56"

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

RR Conductor
NWP RR Inc.,serving NW CA
Premium
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
reply to camper

said by camper:

What amazes me is that the cost of data communications has dropped over the past years, yet Comcast seems to find justification for a price increase multiple times the rate of increase of inflation.

I was thinking the same thing, and if you look at the cost of similar speeds in other countries, it looks even worse.
--

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

»adsl-cable.net/guide/costs.html Actually by country not near that bad granted its old but its the newest data i could find and puts the US in fourth place price wise.
I dont consider a two dollar or even three dollar increase excessive in todays market. Hell doesnt come near the price hikes of other utilities.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to camper

However their business is particularly sensitive to the things that did see high price increases (not necessarily inflation) examples are gasoline, copper, insurance (both for the business and employee benefits) plus acquiring and training qualified employees (something much complained about which they have been improving on for a few years, an expensive and unending task)

I hear people often say that data transport cost are dropping, which is true in the per bitover the backbone metric, but the average demand / usage per customer is multiplying faster than the normal buildout/upgrade cycle allows for meaning costly equipment upgrades on a shorter cycle for the last mile.

GTFan

join:2004-12-03

The bottom line is that Comcast can raise rates whenever they feel like it, because in most markets they have no effective competition for wired HSI. It's the sad reality of a non-competitive 'market' that the FCC and Congress have ignored.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:9

1 recommendation

Unlike Gasoline prices that are allowed to fluctuate by 15%+ and no one can do squat about it unless you want to walk, bike or use public transportation. If you want to take up a cause, fight the oil companies.

mb

join:2000-07-23
Washington, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to GTFan

said by GTFan:

...FCC and Congress have ignored.

They were bought and paid for long ago... Utilities that are monopolys and for profit that use the public infrastructure shouldn't exist, especially with lax regulation.

Internet access is no longer a luxury, it is a necessity.

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to plencnerb

said by plencnerb:

said by camper:

I think you may want to check your math, or figure things out again.

New price: $51.95
Old price: 48.95

Percent increase: 6.13%

My math is fine.

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:2

Yup, you are correct. I apologize for saying your math was wrong.

Did not think that a 3 dollar increase would equate to 6.13%, but it does!

--Brian