join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Vonage
reply to Max_War

Re: Fuck Dell

said by Max_War:

They are just following Apple's exterior case designs. Unlike Apple, at least you can open a PC laptop to do repairs.

I take it you have never actually opened a mac. Don't knock it until you actually have. I have, and they are quite easy to access everything (HDD, RAM, Disc Drive, ETC.) Easier than many PC laptops.

BronsCon

join:2003-10-24
Walnut Creek, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

said by ilikeme:

said by Max_War:

They are just following Apple's exterior case designs. Unlike Apple, at least you can open a PC laptop to do repairs.

I take it you have never actually opened a mac. Don't knock it until you actually have. I have, and they are quite easy to access everything (HDD, RAM, Disc Drive, ETC.) Easier than many PC laptops.

Replace the RAM in a Retina MBP, then come talk to me. Before those hit the market, I used to agree with you; if you actually still feel that way, you're a bit behind the times.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

said by BronsCon:

said by ilikeme:

said by Max_War:

Replace the RAM in a Retina MBP, then come talk to me. Before those hit the market, I used to agree with you; if you actually still feel that way, you're a bit behind the times.

The pre 2012 MacBooks were pretty easy. The pre 2010 MacBooks you could do blindfolded. Though it's true the new ones are not easy, and in many cases, not possible.

My last Windows machine, the hard drive was located underneath the keyboard, although the keyboard was pretty easy to remove. (about 5 minutes worth of work)
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

BronsCon

Walnut Creek, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

Pretty much what I meant by "I used to agree with you".

For the record, I work in a mixed environment and have cracked open just about anything you can imagine at one point or another. I'm considering dropping a couple grand an a retina MPB and trying to upgrade the RAM just for kicks -- the hard part is convincing my wife...

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

LOL..think you can change the ram in these new units? IIRC, only the SDD is serviceable, though I could be wrong.

Lots of discussion on whether Apple is making the right move by making it hard/impossible to make hardware changes.

Although Apple isn't the only company doing this, I believe some of the Dell's and Acers have laptops with no serviceable parts.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

BronsCon

Walnut Creek, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

1 recommendation

Actually, while the SSD isn't soldered in like the RAM, it's a nonstandard form factor, so while you can replace it, you'll have trouble sourcing the part.

I wasn't joking when I said the hard part of getting my hands on an RMBP to try and upgrade the RAM in it would be convincing my wife; she's not too fond of me buying multi-thousand-dollar gadgets just to break them.

UPDATE: She just said if I buy one, it's hers; I told her that's fine as long as she lets me upgrade the RAM first. Looks like I'll be enjoying some laptop surgery this weekend and she'll be enjoying her really expensive paperweight.

rugby
I think I know it all.
VIP
join:2000-09-26
Plainfield, IN

Considering the ram is soldered onto the logicboard on the retina macbook pro why would you consider upgrading it? How will you accomplish this?

BronsCon

Walnut Creek, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

said by rugby:

Considering the ram is soldered onto the logicboard on the retina macbook pro why would you consider upgrading it? How will you accomplish this?

Considering that I mention the soldered RAM at the beginning of my post and refer to the laptop as a paperweight at the end, what do you think? It's one of those "try it for the hell of it" things.