All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
Cyborg994
join:2005-04-18
Montreal, QC

Cyborg994 to Guspaz

to Guspaz

Re: OVH pricing at Montreal datacenter is... insane?

First comments on server:
- ONly paypal payment (no direct credit card, strange), not sure if it will auto-renew or not
- Very quick turnaround time (30 mins!)
- I ordered with VMWare Hypervisor 5.0, licence is not included in install (not an issue for the server I have, as it has only 16 GB RAM), but would be if I ordered any server with 64 GB, would have to pay for a licence as free does not support 64 GB RAM
- VMware Hypervisor is 5.0.0, not the latest, needs to be updated manually

To update: esxcli software profile update -d »hostupdate.vmware.com/so ··· ndex.xml -p ESXi-5.1.0-20121204001-standard
Ree
join:2007-04-29
h0h0h0

Ree

said by Cyborg994:

To update: esxcli software profile update -d »hostupdate.vmware.com/so ··· ndex.xml -p ESXi-5.1.0-20121204001-standard

Thanks for this...never looked into it and just assumed they had the latest release available.

Is there a mailing list or some other method for keeping track of new updates?
Cyborg994
join:2005-04-18
Montreal, QC

Cyborg994

Your welcome! I am a security analyst in my dayjob, so it is a reflex for me to check versions/vulnerabilities.

»isc.sans.edu usually posts notifications for major vendors, including VMWare.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26 to Cyborg994

Premium Member

to Cyborg994
said by Cyborg994:

First comments on server:
- ONly paypal payment (no direct credit card, strange), not sure if it will auto-renew or not
- I ordered with VMWare Hypervisor 5.0, licence is not included in install (not an issue for the server I have, as it has only 16 GB RAM), but would be if I ordered any server with 64 GB, would have to pay for a licence as free does not support 64 GB RAM

Been pre-occupied the last few days but wanted to reply if you haven't already figured it out. It will NOT auto renew as there is no PayPal subscription attached to the payments. In the manager, there is a renewal link so I guess you just have to give yourself a reminder.

You're right about the license.. though vSphere essential kits are relatively cheap for a large deployment. They also appear to be working on vSphere based cloud services.

Also, thanks for the update command. Thinking like a typical IT sys admin I was thinking I would need vCenter to manage all that