how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Zverina

join:2004-07-12
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit

[Speed] Coopersburg, PA (latency issues)

Been with RCN for 1+ years, no issues. Recently, speeds crashed. Provisioned for 50/6, getting 2/6 or 3/6... Inconsistent download speeds.

Encoded Mac: 5ab0afa15b3347b1a7c974eeda07e03c923f6c4b

Transmit Power: 48.5 dBmV
Forward Power: -4 dBmV
Forward SNR: 38.7 dB

Downstream Limit: 53000000
Return Frequency: 30700000
Upstream Limit: 6300000
Forward Frequency: 681000000
Forward Modulation: qam256(4)
Ret Channel Width: 6.4Mhz

Note quite sure what the issue is, never had a problem before, now I can't watch Netflix or youtube, constant buffering.

Upload speed remains consistent.

Expand your moderator at work

Zverina

Brooklyn, NY
reply to Zverina

Re: Slow speeds Coopersburg, PA (latency issues)

Speeds seem to have picked up, albeit still below 50mbps. I recently switched to DOCSIS 3.0 from 25/2 tier; I believe that's when the problems started. Never had issue with my old DOCSIS 2.0 modem, was getting consistent speeds. Now it seems like peek times are the worst. I might just switch back to lower tier, don't know though, if that'll resolve the problem or I'll need to get DOCSIS 2.0 scientific atlanta modem.

Zverina

Brooklyn, NY

Currently on Cisco DPC3010 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem.

negativeduck
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-14
Centreville, VA
kudos:1

1 edit

Zv,

So I just checked and yea your modem moved at 47mbps. Now believe me I fully understand it's 8am That said Peak usage in your area is barley hitting 50% capacity. I'm putting a tracker on your connection to watch it throughput the day.

--
Bryan Laird
RCN Engineering

negativeduck
Premium,VIP
Centreville, VA

Just following up... your stuff might be related to something else I'm working on with somebody else. I've got some good info on yours thanks for the patience.
--
Bryan Laird
RCN Engineering

negativeduck
Premium,VIP
Centreville, VA

Step one this morning was done... Step 2 will happen Tuesday morning (I gotta drive a card from VA to PA)
--
Bryan Laird
RCN Engineering

negativeduck
Premium,VIP
Centreville, VA
reply to Zverina

See I'm getting my threads crossed.

Happens when I start trying to funnel through "meto" posts. Because like we've mentioned before generally there is no such thing for us as a "Allentown" network. Or a Coopersburge network, everything breaks down and until you get into the massive scale they don't really aggregate.

That said let me see if I can clear this up.

Zv and Lanis (from the mac he posted this morning) are possibly related. There is plenty of capacity in the network but I we can see the problem. Trying to find where it's coming from.

Stere, your problem is related but not entirely the problem that Mul Posted. We did one part of that maintenance this morning but the second bigger part won't happen till Tuesday morning I'm driving a card upto PA from VA on Monday.

Jackal is in a different location but possibly is seeing a symptom of the same problem that Zv and Lanis reported but I'm not sure yet.
--
Bryan Laird
RCN Engineering

Zverina

Brooklyn, NY
reply to negativeduck

Keep us updated, Bryan. Hopefully this problem can be resolved, as I just recently noticed the speeds crash during peak times. Especially at around 6 or 7 o'clock, where it slows down to a crawl. I just ran a test and the download speed is not consistent (jittery), albeit better than usual...

»www.speedtest.net/result/2414266500.png

The speeds usually crash at around 7 o'clock.

Zverina

Brooklyn, NY
reply to negativeduck

It's been 3 weeks. Any findings to report? Is this issue being worked on. Skimming the forums, I can see this is a widespread issue; everyone having peek time speed degradation.