Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal

1 recommendation

DocDrew to kilrathi

Premium Member

to kilrathi

Re: TW Usage Meter Accuracy

Speed of downloads and data consumption are 2 different things. I want fast speeds so ive got 30 down and 4 up on Charter but average about 120 GB a month. Kids Netflix and gaming might add another 20 GB.
Wilsdom
join:2009-08-06

Wilsdom

I used to be baffled by people who say that B/s is totally different from B--obviously you aren't saving much time if you're hardly downloading--but now I'm thinking that speed might matter more at lower consumption levels when it comes to media. If you constantly pull data you will end up with a huge backlog which more speed would actually make worse; but if you only download a little even minutes can matter since you are waiting.
Moral of the story: download more!

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

1 recommendation

hobgoblin to DocDrew

Premium Member

to DocDrew
said by DocDrew:

Speed of downloads and data consumption are 2 different things. I want fast speeds so ive got 30 down and 4 up on Charter but average about 120 GB a month. Kids Netflix and gaming might add another 20 GB.

Agreed, I have a Camaro...its pretty fast as cars go. In the 10 months I have had it I have driven 7,000 miles. I bought it for its speed, not because I drive long distances.

Hob

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

1 edit

1 recommendation

DocDrew to Wilsdom

Premium Member

to Wilsdom
said by Wilsdom:

Moral of the story: download more!

Why? I download what I want.

It's fast enough to the point I often don't store or save a file if I don't think I'm going to need again in a month. Especially since some of the bigger software packages often update versions in that time. If I need it again I download it again. Back when I had less than 10 mbps, especially 33k through 4-5 mbps, I stored EVERYTHING.

Now I can download 1 GB in under 5 minutes. At 10 mbps that took 15 minutes full speed. I can grab a 4.7 GB DVD image in under 30 minutes. At 10 mbps it took 1 hour 30 minutes. Same amount of data, 1/3 the time.