Drunk57
Premium Member
join:2010-11-16
Elizabethtown, PA

1 recommendation

Drunk57

Premium Member

Should my modem be upgraded?

I'm a bit confused about leased modems, Docsis 3.0, and IPv6. I have a DHG 535-2 which is not Docsis 3.0 compatible, however I am only on the Performance tier. Everybody got a speed bump, but did I get the speed bump too with this old modem? I'm going to guess that you only need to upgrade the modem if you get the 50 or 105 service, is that correct?

And does anybody know when Comcast will make everyone switch to IPv6 modems? I guess a couple years away yet, but what if you want to try IPv6? I know I'd need to buy an IPv6 router first, but I'm just curious as to how you would get your hands on an IPv6 modem when you're just leasing modems.

The reason I lease is because I need an EMTA for internet and phone, and I think you guys said in a previous thread that a Comcast tech needs to do the install on those which would kill any potential savings.

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

2 recommendations

plencnerb

Premium Member

For me, I have always rented my modem, regardless if it was an eMTA or not. It just made more sense to me if things did not work (easy to return to Comcast and get a new one, without paying a lot of up front costs to purchase, or hassles with exchanges).

I had an Arris TM402P eMTA modem. It was Docsis 2.0, and did not support IPv6.

All I had to do was ask the representative at my local Comcast office if I could switch it out for a Docsis 3.0 eMTA. Once they made sure they had one in stock, they gave it to me. Told me to take it home, activate it, and return my existing modem.

What I left with was an Arris TM722G. When I got home, I disconnected my existing modem, hooked up my new one, activated it on line, and was up and running in less then 10 minutes. Once I knew everything was working, I returned my TM402P to the local Comcast office the same day.

It was quick, simple, and hassle free.

So, I would check with your local office and see about making the switch.

Sure, from a speed package, I really did not need to upgrade (I'm on Performance), but I am now ready for the future, with a D3 modem, and IPv6 support. Which, by the way, is working for me as my router (home built firewall running pfsense) supports IPv6.

--Brian

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

1 edit

1 recommendation

Chris 313 to Drunk57

Premium Member

to Drunk57
said by Drunk57:

I'm a bit confused about leased modems, Docsis 3.0, and IPv6. I have a DHG 535-2 which is not Docsis 3.0 compatible, however I am only on the Performance tier. Everybody got a speed bump, but did I get the speed bump too with this old modem? I'm going to guess that you only need to upgrade the modem if you get the 50 or 105 service, is that correct?

And does anybody know when Comcast will make everyone switch to IPv6 modems? I guess a couple years away yet, but what if you want to try IPv6? I know I'd need to buy an IPv6 router first, but I'm just curious as to how you would get your hands on an IPv6 modem when you're just leasing modems.

The reason I lease is because I need an EMTA for internet and phone, and I think you guys said in a previous thread that a Comcast tech needs to do the install on those which would kill any potential savings.

With me not knowing what make that modem is, but with you saying it's D2, I'd say you're good until they roll out IPv6 to all in March 2013. Or until you get into the early 20s of speed upgrades.

My speed was recently upgraded to 25/4 (27.5/4400) and with my old D2 modem, I topped out around 22.3. After the modem upgrade, I get 27.5/4400+

Comcast themselves recommend you upgrade your modem to a D3 model if you're on Blast or higher speed tier (Blast is either 25/4 or 50/10 depending on your area) and Extreme 50 became Extreme 105.

I would recommend you make the upgrade to one of these, if you wanna buy: »www.amazon.com/Zoom-DOCS ··· le+modem

or

»www.amazon.com/Motorola- ··· _cp_pc_1

Both are 8/4 Docsis 3 modems and will support IPv6/Docsis 3 when you're upgraded.

As for getting an EMTA as you said you need (I'm in the same boat, man) You will have to get yours from Comcast until they get their deal with Amazon up and running and you can legally buy an EMTA of your own (FORGET eBay, Craigslist, etc. They will not activate them)

During my upgrade, and what a fiasco it was, I was given an ARRIS 722G EMTA for my phone/net service that works pretty good.

You'll probably get an ARRIS 862G Gateway device (which is a modem/router all in one unit. Though you can have them bridge it so you can use your own router equipment if you want. That's what I'd do.)

See here: »www.arrisi.com/product_c ··· PR12.pdf

I would go here too: »Comcast Direct Talk to ComcastSteve and explain your situation. He will get your square with a new EMTA if you need one. Especially if your speeds are 20 or higher.

Also see here: »Comcast High Speed Internet FAQ »What are the actual Provisioned Speeds?

Drunk57
Premium Member
Elizabethtown, PA

Drunk57

Premium Member

Oh okay, the office is only 5 minutes away so I guess I could just go in and ask her. I wasn't sure if you could do that.

The DHG 535-2 says RCA on the box, although on Comcast's list of approved modems it is called a Thomson. When I do a speed test I get around 25 Mbps, so you're saying since I'm up above 20 already a new modem might increase my speed even more?

I've been reading some other threads here so I already know not to buy a modem from anywhere except a legitimate retailer like amazon or best buy. Sounds like every single modem on ebay is stolen. Guess I won't have to think about that though until Comcast lets us buy an emta. When will that happen? I was under the impression that you already could but you just had to pay a tech to come out and install it.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

said by Drunk57:

Oh okay, the office is only 5 minutes away so I guess I could just go in and ask her. I wasn't sure if you could do that.

The DHG 535-2 says RCA on the box, although on Comcast's list of approved modems it is called a Thomson. When I do a speed test I get around 25 Mbps, so you're saying since I'm up above 20 already a new modem might increase my speed even more?

I've been reading some other threads here so I already know not to buy a modem from anywhere except a legitimate retailer like amazon or best buy. Sounds like every single modem on ebay is stolen. Guess I won't have to think about that though until Comcast lets us buy an emta. When will that happen? I was under the impression that you already could but you just had to pay a tech to come out and install it.

Cool. Mine's on the other side of town, so it's a bit of a trip. And RCA is Thomson if memory serves.

I would not rely on speed tests to tell you what you really have as most speed test sites do not take into account Powerboost and serves up false speeds cause they don't run long enough to let powerboost fizzle out and your true speed to show.

So, what I would do is do a file download (or better let, more then 1 big file. 1GB or more) from a known fast site and let it run for like 2 minutes, if your speed after that time is 22-25 or better, a new modem would be a good idea.

While it might not increase your speed if you're already getting close to 25, you will get 25 or better consistantly vs just getting close to 25 (They cap the 25/4 speed at 27.5/4400 so that's all you'd get once powerboost runs out if you got more then 25. While boosting I got near 35/6)

And it's good you read the threads, there have been many horror stories about buyers from ebay, etc. Glad you know to stick to legit retailers. And from what I read, they're working on the Amazon buy program right now, as you're able to buy modems off of it, but not EMTAs yet)

See here for some info: »[Speed] Heads-Up: Time to Replace Your DOCSIS 1.1 Modem

As for your last question, that was an earlier EMTA buy program that select best buy's were running, that has since ended, where you could actually buy your own EMTA. I'm fuzzy on the details, but I believe you were right. You could buy one, but then a tech had to come and set it up.

Doesn't really matter now though, does it?

Drunk57
Premium Member
Elizabethtown, PA

Drunk57

Premium Member

Well it turns out the woman at the office said we should have received a letter because we actually had to upgrade. I live at home yet so this is my parent's account, so apparently they either threw the letter out or we never got one. Anyways I had to go back home and bring in the old modem before she gave me a new one.

I used this speed test here: »testmy.net/download

Using the 200MB file size last night, I got 9Mbps. Tonight I'm getting 16 Mbps, so I think the new modem did increase my speeds. This modem doesn't have a router built in, but my old router is working for now. When would I have to get a new router? Is there any advantage to getting an IPv6 router right now, or does it not matter since all the websites are still dual stack?