spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jaberi

join:2010-08-13

How does this work

a USA based merchant is shipping the pants via what is called economy and charging $11.95 shipping charge in addition to the cost of the pant....
they say they are not responsible for any other cross border costs
what should we expect to be billed on this package, does one really save anything as opposed to buying it here?

BigSensFan
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Whitby, ON

said by jaberi:

a USA based merchant is shipping the pants via what is called economy and charging $11.95 shipping charge in addition to the cost of the pant....
they say they are not responsible for any other cross border costs
what should we expect to be billed on this package, does one really save anything as opposed to buying it here?

anything less than $20 there will be no additional charge ... if the declared value is over $20 then you will be charged customs fees
--
"The hardest thing about any political campaign is how to win without proving that you are unworthy of winning." ~ Adlai E. Stevenson

jaberi

ok, how much is the customs fee...% or otherwise?

Thingamajig
Premium
join:2004-11-03
B.C.
reply to jaberi

Lets hope they didn't ship UPS. They'll ding you big time!
If anyone wants to ship UPS to you in Canada cancel the transaction or you'll pay dearly for that mistake.
--
Some hero's wear capes, mine wear combat boots.

jaberi

item is $40....shipping via economy is $11.00 i gather it is post as it takes 10-12 days.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2

Always insist that stuff from the us is sent via USPS , CP will only charge you 5 bucks to "clear it" for you.

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

said by elwoodblues:

Always insist that stuff from the us is sent via USPS , CP will only charge you 5 bucks to "clear it" for you.

if they charge you at all...i have had numerous shipments from USPS (which get passed to CP) and have never been charged a dime.

i believe UPS charges about $40 for brokerage.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

BigSensFan
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Whitby, ON
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

I thought it was $8 plus GST on the item

edit: UPS brokerage fess are high....so if it was shipped that way, expect a small fortune to payout
--
"The hardest thing about any political campaign is how to win without proving that you are unworthy of winning." ~ Adlai E. Stevenson

agtle

@teksavvy.com
reply to dirtyjeffer

said by dirtyjeffer:

I think that during the last Canada Post strike, UPS upped this to $50 + a % of declared value (in addition to duty & taxes). FedEx used to be reasonable at $10 but they too upped it during the last CPC strike (not sure what it is now).

When buying from the US, insist upon USPS, or order elsewhere. Or, if you are close to the border, and intend to shop US regularly, get a US address (there are a number of services in border towns).

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to BigSensFan

said by BigSensFan:

said by elwoodblues:

I thought it was $8 plus GST on the item

edit: UPS brokerage fess are high....so if it was shipped that way, expect a small fortune to payout

It went up? it used to be 5 bucks,8 dollars is still cheaper then the couriers.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to agtle

They tried to screw me over a number of years ago, my sister was expecting with her first child and was paranoid about plastic baby bottles.

I searched and couldn't find glass ones in Canada, so I found a place in the US and had them shipped. The goods were worth like 50 bucks, and UPS wanted $50 to "clear it for me".

There is no duty, just GST and being a low value shipment, its a one line entry on a B3, and they collect the cash all month, and don't have to pay the government till the 24th of the following month.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to BigSensFan

said by BigSensFan:

UPS brokerage fees seem arbitrarily high without explanation.

I once ordered a $51 pair of shoes which received the usual brokerage fees + UPS brokerage handling fees + UPS brokerage release fees and the overall cost was $121, more than twice as much the cost of the shoes.

MichelR

join:2011-07-03
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·voip.ms
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to dirtyjeffer

said by dirtyjeffer:

said by elwoodblues:

if they charge you at all...i have had numerous shipments from USPS (which get passed to CP) and have never been charged a dime.

Same experience here. And with CP, I don't have to drive all the way across town to get my parcel if I wasn't here when they tried to deliver. UPS sucks.

jaberi

reply to elwoodblues

here is the shipping options...

Standard : $40 5-7 business days.
Economy: $10 10-12 business days.
Express : $60 3-5 business days.

so if i choose economy is that automatically USPS seeing that it would take the longest?

Hydraglass
Premium
join:2002-05-08
Kingston, ON

said by jaberi:

here is the shipping options...

Standard : $40 5-7 business days.
Economy: $10 10-12 business days.
Express : $60 3-5 business days.

so if i choose economy is that automatically USPS seeing that it would take the longest?

No way to know without seeing the shipping details from the seller - their "Economy" could very well be UPS ground - that teds to be the "default American company cheapo shipping" carrier. The Express generally never gets dinged with a clearing fee for customs - the $60 includes the shipping and the international clearing handling fees - you may still have to pay the 13% GST on delivery (or by mail) but - rarely do you get the "$40 add on".

The one company I buy from that ships stuff to me from the US and Canada interchangeably (depending where stuff is in stock) is DigiKey - and their shipping prices and the speed of shipping is frankly mindblowing. Any order up to $200 is something like $8 shipping, and over $200 is free shipping... and 99% of the time if I order before lunch time, the stuff is at my door the next day by 3pm - no matter if it ships out of their US distribution centre or their Canadian one... I do NOT know how they can afford to ship stuff overnight from both the US and Canada to my place here for $8 or less... All I can say is WOW (oh and I never have to pay any additional fees).

jaberi

yes, that would be a double wow comparing it to the prices i put up above..... $60.00 for shipping a pair of pants, let's get serious..will call them and get the details who they use to ship.

Phorkster
Premium
join:2004-06-27
Windsor, ON
kudos:1
reply to jaberi

I have never been charged by CP from inbound USPS packages. Anything ranging from a few bucks to a few hundred.

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to MichelR

said by MichelR:

said by dirtyjeffer:

said by elwoodblues:

Same experience here. And with CP, I don't have to drive all the way across town to get my parcel if I wasn't here when they tried to deliver. UPS sucks.

I have to do that even if I am home. The UPS driver on my route is a lazy liar. NEVER tries to deliver.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to BigSensFan

said by BigSensFan:

anything less than $20 there will be no additional charge ... if the declared value is over $20 then you will be charged customs fees

While that may be the letter of the regulations, the reality of the situation is that you're very unlikely to pay anything unless it's something that peaks a CBSA officer's curiosity at the sorting centre.

jaberi

finally an answer:

"All International orders are shipped using USPS International."

might be time to take the plunge and order...

thanks to all of you for helping ....happy 2013!