uniqs
share rss forum feed

Drunk
Premium
join:2010-11-16
Elizabethtown, PA
reply to Drunk

Re: Should my modem be upgraded?

Oh okay, the office is only 5 minutes away so I guess I could just go in and ask her. I wasn't sure if you could do that.

The DHG 535-2 says RCA on the box, although on Comcast's list of approved modems it is called a Thomson. When I do a speed test I get around 25 Mbps, so you're saying since I'm up above 20 already a new modem might increase my speed even more?

I've been reading some other threads here so I already know not to buy a modem from anywhere except a legitimate retailer like amazon or best buy. Sounds like every single modem on ebay is stolen. Guess I won't have to think about that though until Comcast lets us buy an emta. When will that happen? I was under the impression that you already could but you just had to pay a tech to come out and install it.

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..
said by Drunk:

Oh okay, the office is only 5 minutes away so I guess I could just go in and ask her. I wasn't sure if you could do that.

The DHG 535-2 says RCA on the box, although on Comcast's list of approved modems it is called a Thomson. When I do a speed test I get around 25 Mbps, so you're saying since I'm up above 20 already a new modem might increase my speed even more?

I've been reading some other threads here so I already know not to buy a modem from anywhere except a legitimate retailer like amazon or best buy. Sounds like every single modem on ebay is stolen. Guess I won't have to think about that though until Comcast lets us buy an emta. When will that happen? I was under the impression that you already could but you just had to pay a tech to come out and install it.

Cool. Mine's on the other side of town, so it's a bit of a trip. And RCA is Thomson if memory serves.

I would not rely on speed tests to tell you what you really have as most speed test sites do not take into account Powerboost and serves up false speeds cause they don't run long enough to let powerboost fizzle out and your true speed to show.

So, what I would do is do a file download (or better let, more then 1 big file. 1GB or more) from a known fast site and let it run for like 2 minutes, if your speed after that time is 22-25 or better, a new modem would be a good idea.

While it might not increase your speed if you're already getting close to 25, you will get 25 or better consistantly vs just getting close to 25 (They cap the 25/4 speed at 27.5/4400 so that's all you'd get once powerboost runs out if you got more then 25. While boosting I got near 35/6)

And it's good you read the threads, there have been many horror stories about buyers from ebay, etc. Glad you know to stick to legit retailers. And from what I read, they're working on the Amazon buy program right now, as you're able to buy modems off of it, but not EMTAs yet)

See here for some info: »[Speed] Heads-Up: Time to Replace Your DOCSIS 1.1 Modem

As for your last question, that was an earlier EMTA buy program that select best buy's were running, that has since ended, where you could actually buy your own EMTA. I'm fuzzy on the details, but I believe you were right. You could buy one, but then a tech had to come and set it up.

Doesn't really matter now though, does it?

Drunk
Premium
join:2010-11-16
Elizabethtown, PA
Well it turns out the woman at the office said we should have received a letter because we actually had to upgrade. I live at home yet so this is my parent's account, so apparently they either threw the letter out or we never got one. Anyways I had to go back home and bring in the old modem before she gave me a new one.

I used this speed test here: »testmy.net/download

Using the 200MB file size last night, I got 9Mbps. Tonight I'm getting 16 Mbps, so I think the new modem did increase my speeds. This modem doesn't have a router built in, but my old router is working for now. When would I have to get a new router? Is there any advantage to getting an IPv6 router right now, or does it not matter since all the websites are still dual stack?