elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink
reply to DataRiker

Re: NOT True Usage-based pricing

Any company willing to undertake the risk for FTTH is going to be "popular" with the locals. But that doesn't mean they're profitable.

To date, you can't show evidence that Google, Sonic, Surewest, or anyone else has found a way to lower the real cost of FTTH deployment, and their $70/month price-points for fiber speeds reflects it.

When you can show me data suggesting that the aforementioned ISPs achieve greater penetration levels for their $70+ product than Verizon has, while wiring more than a zip code or two, I'll be the first to congratulate them.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by elray:

To date, you can't show evidence that Google, Sonic, Surewest, or anyone else has found a way to lower the real cost of FTTH deployment, and their $70/month price-points for fiber speeds reflects it.

That would be $70 for 1Gb Internet. Seems most in Sebastopol, California are choosing the $39.95 100Mb service:

»arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012···onicnet/

In any case, I doubt that a DOCSIS HFC plant would be more profitable for them to deploy; they would be starting from scratch with that.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink

said by NormanS:

said by elray:

That would be $70 for 1Gb Internet. Seems most in Sebastopol, California are choosing the $39.95 100Mb service:

If its available in more than a few zipcodes, then my hat's off to Dane, as it would appear that he has, indeed, found a way to install and deliver FTTH profitably, at a lower price point, apparently, without requiring Google-style special-treatment from the local municipalities.

In which case, other firms should be quick to follow suit, and we should all soon enjoy FTTH cheap.

Good find. Don't know how I missed that, amid all the "$70 Gigabit" headlines.
Google should take note and offer similar in KC.

tanzam75

join:2012-07-19

Sonic has a different cash flow calculation from the ILECs. Because they did not own the copper, they were essentially sharing part of their DSL profit with the ILEC, in the form of the rental fee. Under fiber, this amount goes to Sonic.

They're also cherry-picking by starting with Sevastopol. Overhead lines, overhead drops, houses with narrow lots. Remember that the cost of fiber deployment scales approximately linearly with length -- what matters is not so much the population density per square mile, but the density per linear mile.

In my postwar suburb, the lots are about twice as wide as those in Sebastopol. Doubles the cost of stringing fiber.