spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

BETA4

join:2010-12-26

Slow internet speeds at night

I seem to be getting slow internet speeds at night every since 6 months now. I have had several techs come over to the house on several occasions only to tell me that my signal is fine and even had TAM techs go to the pole to check out the connection with no response back each time, assuming they found nothing wrong.

I am paying for 100 Mbps down and 5 Mbps up. The DL usually is strong from 6 am - 7 pm then the connection starts to drop and usually reaches it's worst around 8-12 am.

here's a speedtest

nahrah

join:2012-11-09
Hesperia, CA

Back to sluggish internet
I too have this problem again. I've had 4 tech visit, new underground from street to house, and new connectors and signal check. Turn out the node I was on was overloaded, so they moved me to a new one. To top it off they just barely fixed it now its back to sluggish speed between 8pm-12am. I have the same internet speed subscription as you too. If Fios was available in my area I would drop charter in a heartbeat. Supposedly, Verizon is going to roll out Fios in my area in 2013 after putting a hold on it.
Expand your moderator at work

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

1 edit
reply to nahrah

Re: Slow internet speeds at night

said by nahrah:

Verizon is going to roll out Fios in my area in 2013 after putting a hold on it.

Where did you read that? As far as I know Verizon is done with their FiOS build-out for the foreseeable future except for areas where they are contractually obligated to build out. And I don't remember any place in California being one of them.

By the way here is their pricing. This is 2 year contract pricing, $5 more without a contract.

15/5 - $70
50/25 - $80
75/35 - $90
150/65 - $100
300/65 - $210

Now their 150/65 tier beats Charter's 100/5 tier for sure. But their 15/5 pricing is a joke. And people come here and complain that CHARTER doesn't have any low price internet tiers.

Razoul

join:2012-10-09
Crestline, CA
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to nahrah

said by nahrah:

I too have this problem again. I've had 4 tech visit, new underground from street to house, and new connectors and signal check. Turn out the node I was on was overloaded, so they moved me to a new one. To top it off they just barely fixed it now its back to sluggish speed between 8pm-12am. I have the same internet speed subscription as you too. If Fios was available in my area I would drop charter in a heartbeat. Supposedly, Verizon is going to roll out Fios in my area in 2013 after putting a hold on it.

Also @BF69 - they're stilled rolling out FiOS in contractually agreed areas afaik, just because they won't roll out to any new areas doesn't mean they don't have to finish lighting up areas they promised to do.

nahrah, I've seen them stringing fiber down off Rock Springs Rd a month or two back. I know it's the extreme edge of Hesperia almost to Apple Valley, but they're definitely still putting FiOS out in the area.

BETA4

reply to BETA4

So, does my modem stats check out fine? If a congested node is the issue. I remember one TAM technician alluding to this might being the issue, but that was months ago. Anyways, can I get charter to get me on a different node perhaps?

nahrah

Hesperia, CA
reply to Razoul

Thats the funny thing, I'm off main st right by the 15 freeway, in the fairly new housing development and I don't have Fios, yet 2-3mi east on Main St they do.

@BF69 I spoke with a representative in person, that had setup a little booth inside Walmart. Said if they gain enough interest they will re roll out Fios in the area in 2013.

nahrah

Hesperia, CA
reply to BETA4

I'd say your power level is a little to high needs to be closer to 0. But if a tech or phone rep check it, its within their operating range.

Doesn't hurt to try, but it might take awhile. The only way my issue was looked into was talking to charter direct rep on this forum. Charter Abby even had maintenance Supervisor call me and explained the issue and how they resolve it. Sadly charter has terminated the social media department earlier this month. I'm pretty sure you know the routine of talking to a phone rep by now, reboot> check cables> check signals> tech visit> tech checks signal> everything ok> little being done.

So basically, I'm back to square one with this issue with charter. It didn't last 2 weeks and the problem came back. I'm pretty sure its a congested node again.

BETA4

yep, been through the cycle way too many times and the lightbulb hit me last night that is why I posted here. It's annoying that I contact the district manager directly and even he brushes me off.

Anyways, I don't want to waste any more time than I have, how do I get charter direct to address my issue?

nahrah

Hesperia, CA

Basically you can't since charter terminated their social media department. Charter direct was part of that department along with twitter, and Facebook. Its going to be hard, only thing I can suggest is try to get your issue escalated and if they send a tech out ask for a supervisor. I might have to do the same soon but waiting till after the new year rings in.

Premium
join:2012-06-11
reply to 88615298

said by 88615298:

Now their 150/65 tier beats Charter's 100/5 tier for sure. But their 15/5 pricing is a joke. And people come here and complain that CHARTER doesn't have any low price internet tiers.

Yeah, so Charter is less reprehensible because they goose the customer a "bit less" then the competitor? LOL

Premium
reply to nahrah

said by nahrah:

Basically you can't since charter terminated their social media department. Charter direct was part of that department along with twitter, and Facebook. Its going to be hard, only thing I can suggest is try to get your issue escalated and if they send a tech out ask for a supervisor. I might have to do the same soon but waiting till after the new year rings in.

Actually contact Charter and inform that you will be contacting the FCC about the issues, along with your area's public utility commission. You should probably send this by snail mail to the executive offices return receipt requested. I think that will get them off their butts rather fast.

It appears that the new manglement is going to play hard ball with customers now so we will have to return the favor in kind.
Expand your moderator at work

BETA4

reply to nahrah

Re: Slow internet speeds at night

Seems like you other guys with Charter have noticed their downgrade in customer service. Ever since I had the tech come in trying to charge me for not have some "wire maintenance" it went downhill from there. To this day, 6 months later my issue has been bounced around until the ball lies flat, only for me to get fed up again and start my surge of complains and now the ball is bouncing again but I don't want it to fall flat again.

You guys do propose some very good ideas. I think I will actually write a formal complain to them and try to escalate this and hopefully at least get changed to a decent node.

nahrah

Hesperia, CA

I had great service for a year, Nov. 2012 to be exact. From there everything went down hill a month gone by and nothing was getting resolved. Finally bit the bullet and contacted charter direct before they got eliminated and my issue was fixed within a matter of days. Now its back to same issue. They also tried to pull a fast one on me and charge me for a service call when I had wire maintenance on my subscription.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
reply to 15444104

said by 15444104 See Profile

Yeah, so Charter is less reprehensible because they goose the customer a "bit less" then the competitor? LOL

That should say a "bit less than SOME competitors"

In areas where Charter may actually have some competition, I bet they don't goose some one as much. Funny thing is, if you've ever noticed, is that Charter is not in many areas where they actually have decent direct competition. I'm not counting your basic DSL either.
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

BETA4

I managed to get a hold of the area superviser or whatever; David benjamin, called him up, he told me to email him my info which I did, got a reply this morning that he will be looking into the matter.

We will see how this goes, but seeing at what has been done, or lack of, I don't have high hopes. Charter has gone down the toilet.

BETA4

I have reached out to David via email and by phone and no answers or reply. I guess Charter is in a period where it wants to tonally disregard its customers. I think it's time to send an informal complaint, this slow internet issue due to overloaded nodes is unacceptable.

Strange Data

join:2012-08-25

Contact your local Public Utilities Commission and file a complaint with them. That will get them off their butts

Premium

said by Strange Data:

Contact your local Public Utilities Commission and file a complaint with them. That will get them off their butts

Yes, unfortunately it appears that Charter is going the way of ATT or even worse.

Only thing that will get their attention is having the PUC or FCC get on them.

BETA4

reply to BETA4

Update.

After 8 agonizing months of doing the run around. A tech came to my house and actually went to the main circuit 4 blocks away from my house and confirmed that the node is indeed congested. I admit I didn't know what the issue was to begin with, but once the previous techs confirmed it was not the line going to my house and nothing on my end that was wrong. I had a feeling it was a congested node, but nobody would confirm this issue, until now.

The real journey starts here though, as the tech is only alerting his supervisor. He said he'd contact me by next Tuesday to confirm if we can get my connection hopped up on a different node, or if we have to do it manually(takes longer). I am hoping for the best option.

Hopefully Charter will get off their butts and address the rest of us because I think their little $29.99 package was a quick money grab with the end result was too many new subscribers and no new nodes created.

BETA4

reply to BETA4

Another update.

Charter supposedly has decongested the node. I admit, I do see an improvement in speeds during the day. However, the issue still persists during the night time.

I do notice early in the morning around 7AM. I can hit 101 Mbps consistently and the little progress bar graph @ speedtest.net is nice and smooth with no dips. Here I am @ 10 AM, 3 hours later and already I see a few Mbps drop off; I am getting like 90 ish Mbps but this time there are dips. Everyday the speed gets progressively worse throughout the day, but instead now my speeds will hit around 70 Mbps which is fine for the majority of the day because that's what they guarantee . However, still, at night the speeds hover around 40-60 Mbps and the past two evenings around 9 PM I notice the speeds as low as 9 Mbps!

What's even more surprising I had on-call techs to come check out my speeds after they supposedly "decongested" the node and told me to my face there was an issue and that they'd forward a copy of the results to an engineer. Then when I get a follow up call from corporate, Theresa, the lady who is helping me on the matter, tells me their notes say otherwise. That the speeds are fine.

So here I am once again in a loop, just a high level loop to get these fools off of their buts to properly service my issue and most likely others around my area who just are not as vocal as I am.

This issue is really testing my patience and if Verizon(only offers 3 Mbps DSL) was not the other only option I would leave without thinking twice.

I have another visit scheduled and if the results are the same, I will definitely file something with the FCC. Charter cannot get away with this crap. I encourage others who are having issues to do the same.

bboe

join:2004-02-03
Monterey Park, CA

Just about once a year I had to deal with this issue with charter since I had their service. It takes them forever to fix the problem and that was with the help of Charter Direct from these forums. Now that they are gone I have given up hope. As of right now its 11:57am and my ping is at 200+ average to any region of the US!

BETA4

bboe things are starting to get interesting.

i just got a call from Natalie from charter, shes heading this "project" as she calls it. But she basically confirmed its an issue for many, basically and obvious overloaded node(s). She is basically going to adjust my billing statements at the end of every month in respect to quality of service. She says Charter is aware of the issue, or rather they have been knowing, just now admitting responsibility. There will be no more service calls to my home because they issue is in the infrastructure. My advice to you and all others is to be persistant, keep complaining, escalate to corporate. if you get nowhere contact the FCC or something.

again, charter cannot get away with this crap. it is up to us to stand against this.

So now we just waitnand see if they will fix the issue soon, if at all

bboe

join:2004-02-03
Monterey Park, CA

I been with charter a long time and I done all the write to FCC & BBB and the whole nine. I would have to do it every year and work with charter direct techs here. Things would get better each year after hours and hours spent dealing with every level of support you could imagine. I been told everything you are hearing right now but in the end we are all still having issues.

I just placed my order for DSL today and I am never looking back. Being a Charter customer has been the worse experience since I started using the internet and I started in 1994. The lure of high speed just lost its appeal, when it works its great but 90% of the time it just doesn't work at all! Good Luck to everyone who still has to deal with this company!

pchea

join:2010-08-06
Rosemead, CA

Is everybody in SGV area still experiencing slow speeds during the evening?

Still getting terrible down speed and ping from about 5pm-12am.

jchl89

join:2004-03-04
Rosemead, CA

Click for full size
Today has been horrible here in rosemead. Worse day so far over this past two months. Alot of Packet Loss. It's so unusable that I'm on verizon LTE now

BETA4

How did you get that graph?

Charter of course hasn't fixed jack squat. If the lady doesn't call me by the end of the month with an adjustment, she knows I will and she had better do a proper prorate for the lack of service, or else it's back to corporate and we will do this loop all over again. I am not gonna give up this fight, Charter in it's current state is garbage and I hope if they don't get their crap together they're going to be made an example of legally.

jchl89

join:2004-03-04
Rosemead, CA

These graphs are from my router. They come in handy for diagnostics. The graphs measures the RTT and packet loss from my router to the gateway on charters end using a round robin method.

The tech came out on Saturday, and told me my node was 106% congested, and that they're gonna work on it.