Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

BETA4

join:2010-12-26
reply to BETA4

Re: Slow internet speeds at night

Update.

After 8 agonizing months of doing the run around. A tech came to my house and actually went to the main circuit 4 blocks away from my house and confirmed that the node is indeed congested. I admit I didn't know what the issue was to begin with, but once the previous techs confirmed it was not the line going to my house and nothing on my end that was wrong. I had a feeling it was a congested node, but nobody would confirm this issue, until now.

The real journey starts here though, as the tech is only alerting his supervisor. He said he'd contact me by next Tuesday to confirm if we can get my connection hopped up on a different node, or if we have to do it manually(takes longer). I am hoping for the best option.

Hopefully Charter will get off their butts and address the rest of us because I think their little $29.99 package was a quick money grab with the end result was too many new subscribers and no new nodes created.

BETA4

reply to BETA4
Another update.

Charter supposedly has decongested the node. I admit, I do see an improvement in speeds during the day. However, the issue still persists during the night time.

I do notice early in the morning around 7AM. I can hit 101 Mbps consistently and the little progress bar graph @ speedtest.net is nice and smooth with no dips. Here I am @ 10 AM, 3 hours later and already I see a few Mbps drop off; I am getting like 90 ish Mbps but this time there are dips. Everyday the speed gets progressively worse throughout the day, but instead now my speeds will hit around 70 Mbps which is fine for the majority of the day because that's what they guarantee . However, still, at night the speeds hover around 40-60 Mbps and the past two evenings around 9 PM I notice the speeds as low as 9 Mbps!

What's even more surprising I had on-call techs to come check out my speeds after they supposedly "decongested" the node and told me to my face there was an issue and that they'd forward a copy of the results to an engineer. Then when I get a follow up call from corporate, Theresa, the lady who is helping me on the matter, tells me their notes say otherwise. That the speeds are fine.

So here I am once again in a loop, just a high level loop to get these fools off of their buts to properly service my issue and most likely others around my area who just are not as vocal as I am.

This issue is really testing my patience and if Verizon(only offers 3 Mbps DSL) was not the other only option I would leave without thinking twice.

I have another visit scheduled and if the results are the same, I will definitely file something with the FCC. Charter cannot get away with this crap. I encourage others who are having issues to do the same.

bboe

join:2004-02-03
Monterey Park, CA
Just about once a year I had to deal with this issue with charter since I had their service. It takes them forever to fix the problem and that was with the help of Charter Direct from these forums. Now that they are gone I have given up hope. As of right now its 11:57am and my ping is at 200+ average to any region of the US!

BETA4

bboe things are starting to get interesting.

i just got a call from Natalie from charter, shes heading this "project" as she calls it. But she basically confirmed its an issue for many, basically and obvious overloaded node(s). She is basically going to adjust my billing statements at the end of every month in respect to quality of service. She says Charter is aware of the issue, or rather they have been knowing, just now admitting responsibility. There will be no more service calls to my home because they issue is in the infrastructure. My advice to you and all others is to be persistant, keep complaining, escalate to corporate. if you get nowhere contact the FCC or something.

again, charter cannot get away with this crap. it is up to us to stand against this.

So now we just waitnand see if they will fix the issue soon, if at all

bboe

join:2004-02-03
Monterey Park, CA
I been with charter a long time and I done all the write to FCC & BBB and the whole nine. I would have to do it every year and work with charter direct techs here. Things would get better each year after hours and hours spent dealing with every level of support you could imagine. I been told everything you are hearing right now but in the end we are all still having issues.

I just placed my order for DSL today and I am never looking back. Being a Charter customer has been the worse experience since I started using the internet and I started in 1994. The lure of high speed just lost its appeal, when it works its great but 90% of the time it just doesn't work at all! Good Luck to everyone who still has to deal with this company!

pchea

join:2010-08-06
Rosemead, CA
Is everybody in SGV area still experiencing slow speeds during the evening?

Still getting terrible down speed and ping from about 5pm-12am.

jchl89

join:2004-03-04
Rosemead, CA
Click for full size
Today has been horrible here in rosemead. Worse day so far over this past two months. Alot of Packet Loss. It's so unusable that I'm on verizon LTE now

BETA4

How did you get that graph?

Charter of course hasn't fixed jack squat. If the lady doesn't call me by the end of the month with an adjustment, she knows I will and she had better do a proper prorate for the lack of service, or else it's back to corporate and we will do this loop all over again. I am not gonna give up this fight, Charter in it's current state is garbage and I hope if they don't get their crap together they're going to be made an example of legally.

jchl89

join:2004-03-04
Rosemead, CA
These graphs are from my router. They come in handy for diagnostics. The graphs measures the RTT and packet loss from my router to the gateway on charters end using a round robin method.

The tech came out on Saturday, and told me my node was 106% congested, and that they're gonna work on it.