share rss forum feed

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1

What is a Storm and Storm Coverage?

Key West often the big thing early in a Hurricane... often the weather people embarrassed, they were wrong about us but battered others... but anyone really seen what DOES happen here??

Georges Wind and Wilma salt surge (28" in my own house) devastated Key West. Anyone out there ever hear of either?

NO Because DISNEYWORLD or NOL got hurt... who care about the US only sub tropic island?

We are the canary in the mine you NEVER hear about after but incessantly before.

4sq mi island 24K people who cares?

And told people on NOL mind you folks vs Katrina shouldn't have hit here (1st time ever no tourist evac)... told you you have many routes out (not just one) GET OUT but didn't... and I mean those that had the means to but bitched.

We only have on eway out often into the approaching storm... and then again what might be a 13+ surge else where usually just slosh around us with nothing to pile up against.

Wilma was thew exception we were flooded POST storm when Wilma long gone hit mainland and the vacuum stopped... and thanks to Henry Flagler and his RR... Of course at Full Moon High Tide that backwash back down the shallow FL bay had no waaay back out to the FL Straits and ocean, and back washed on the Keys, again not really flooded incoming.

From no on.... I will take west to east strong storms of us north very seriously....So we are supposed to hate Cuba but thank goodness for them as much as they get hammered but protect us.

Pretty much every other direction if not a direct hit we have a lot working for us....

But that big west to east north of us is the most evil but a direct cat 4+ direct hit.

--

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1
And Charlie white still a Cat 1-2 brushed us far closer that was predicted... NO WAY this was going to predicted Tampa area... it was making a BIG right hook... unfortunately at 2am when most are asleep if not right on you and not predicted... Punta Gordo and Ft Myers got a very rude unexpected if not paying attention Cat 4 wake up call.

And again another reason why MANNED local NWS is so important. As far as I know area wasn't threatened but you don't fall asleep until it has passed (they very rarely head south again but until north PAY ATTENTION is at all near you)

But again the WX channel crap was all about not being there they are still talking about Tampa... until late in the night...hooking right came far closer to us... and past us went to sleep... but woke up to creamed Punta Gorda instead of Tampa was NO SHOCK to me... that was obvious going to happen.
--