All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Wartrace
join:2009-03-07
Wartrace, TN

Wartrace

Will the 4G tower footprints ever increase in size?

I am currently in the 4G "extended" area which I assume means that I will not get a decent 4G signal. I have no way to test it.

Most of the local towers with 4G are about 8 to 10 miles away and looking at the Verizon coverage map it doesn't appear the 4G signal travels very far from the towers. Is this something that will be improved upon or is it just the nature of 4G to have a very limited range?

racer9876
Defender Of The Universe
Premium Member
join:2000-07-03
Lancaster, CA
·Frontier FiberOp..
(Software) pfSense
eero Pro 6

racer9876

Premium Member

Verizon has stated on multiple occasions that they will extend their 4G to have the same footprint as their current 3G (EVDO rev. A) network by the end of 2013. And I remember reading an article somewhere in the last 1-2 months Verizon will probably finish this network build out goal earlier in 2013.
Wartrace
join:2009-03-07
Wartrace, TN

Wartrace

Thanks Racer! I guess I will just have to be patient.
pioneer56
join:2008-03-21
Michigan

pioneer56 to Wartrace

to Wartrace
I know in my area "extended" goes almost to my house, but you can't pick up any till around a mile outside of the dark red "actual" LTE which is a 10-15 mile difference.
decifal7
join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

decifal7 to Wartrace

to Wartrace
Literally I am circled with LTE from verizon, but my direct area is in the extended coverage... The towers with lte are already upgraded yet it doesn't claim to reach 4g to my house while 3g does... I think verizon may be wrong about their current 3g will have 4g by the end of 2013 claim...

That being said, we are thinking of switching to att wireless for our cells as our experimental trek phone going through ATT has a much better voice quality and I understand their 3g is normally quite abit better... Was going to hold out for sprint, but their upgrades seem pretend at most :-/ sucks.. I really wanted unlimited or at least a usable fun cap...
pioneer56
join:2008-03-21
Michigan

pioneer56 to Wartrace

to Wartrace
Despite what we've been told, LTE doesn't have the range that CDMA does yet. Maybe they are running less power to the towers than with 3G, or perhaps the 700mhz block isn't as good as it was suppose to be. As for the entire 3G footprint being converted to 4G by the end of next year, they are about 6 months ahead of schedule right now and will be done mid 2013 instead of the end.