Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

halfzero2

join:2001-05-10
Broomfield, CO

1 edit

Century link -- Recent changes that you may not noticed

Here are changes that happened started 12/01/2012 from my observation.

- IP address changed every 2 hours
- Cannot access port 80 from the internet if using virtual web server

After observing what explained above since the beginning of December, I concluded that CL is doing something to the service for unknown purposes. Whatever it is, what CL has been doing affecting people who are using their CL internet service for,

- home security camera
- home web server for whatever purposes using port 80
- using Dynamic DNS service to connect to their home equipment

In my opinion, this CL's action is not good for anyone. CL won't gain much economically to save BW. Customers who are affected have to migrate to CL's competitors.

People who run CL have been notoriously demonstrated that they have no clue since they took the company over. You can see from their pricing for the internet and phone services. They are blindly trying to follow Comcast's lead w/o having their own plan. Now, they are messing around with the service w/o any clear advantages. This is another indication that CL is now running by incompetent people.

xsbell

join:2008-12-22
Canada
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Primus Telecommu..

said by halfzero2:

- Cannot access port 80 from the internet using virtual server

It's not listed on their site (Internet Service Management), so if you can prove it, be sure to let the FCC know.

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:4

said by xsbell:

said by halfzero2:

It's not listed on their site (Internet Service Management), so if you can prove it, be sure to let the FCC know.

What is the FCC going to do?
--
"You can observe a lot by watching". Yogi Berra

xsbell

Canada
Reviews:
·Primus Telecommu..

said by Irish Shark:

said by xsbell:

said by halfzero2:

What is the FCC going to do?

Not sure, but it is a violation of the Open Internet R&O (effective Nov. 20, 2011).

colorbars

join:2003-03-20
USA
reply to halfzero2

My observation: I'm not seeing either. My IP stays put unless I intentionally disconnect and my port 80 is accessible.

CenturyLink
VIP
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID
kudos:7
reply to halfzero2

Hey there halfzero2, this is B with the CenturyLink Help Team. If you have a general IP address (dynamic), rather than having a static IP, your IP address can change often.

With your port 80 issue, I'm not certain what's happening there, but we'll be happy to help. If you would like further assistance with your service, send me your information via our online webform here: »bit.ly/IArNlt

Thanks,
B
CenturyLink Help Team

toby
Troy Mcclure

join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA
reply to halfzero2

You can use a free dynamic DNS service, or register a domain with a seller such as namecheap.com and use their free service, works great when your ip address changes.

halfzero2

Broomfield, CO

1 edit
reply to CenturyLink

Thanks, for trying to help, I appreciate it. I know that a regular service has dynamic IP, and IP could change randomly. However, changing every 2 hours for almost a month is not normal. Anyone who uses CL internet service for browsing web won't notice this. However, people who use DDNS are screwed. Most DDNS service cannot keep up with that frequent change on IP.

I complained to CL technical support (sounded answering calls from the Philippines) many times, but they had no clue what "IP address" was. I asked whether or not CL start to block port 80, they asked me for my Modem sr#. I gave up talking to them. Once I started to rant here, the problem that had been going on for a month was mysteriously fixed. Of couse, I did not do anything at all on my side. It seemed to me that CL needs a bad publicity, then someone will take the right action. My register name says where I am.

Regarding my comment that CL is run by many clueless people, I won't back down on that. It is very true. There are a lot of competent people at CL also, but they are not the one who make the policy.

halfzero2

Broomfield, CO
reply to toby

said by toby:

You can use a free dynamic DNS service, or register a domain with a seller such as namecheap.com and use their free service, works great when your ip address changes.

Unfortunately, you answered without reading my original post.

VegasG

join:2013-01-03
Las Vegas, NV
reply to halfzero2

HI All,

Over the past ten days, my pings have shot through the roof during peak hours (6pm to midnight) and I have been unable to stream hd content or use cloud services like OnLive. Even video stutters during this window.

My attempts to get tech support via online chat support have been the stuff of comedy legend. I won't give you the details but you can guess at how bad the two agents were in trying to diagnose the problem...

I don't understand why this problem came out of nowhere and occurs every night during peak hours but I did notice a new CenturyLink wi-fi listing in my neighborhood and I have read that CenturyLink's new "Prism TV" is pushing direct dsl users like me to the end of the line in terms of broadband.

Does anyone have any ideas on why this may be occurring and any possible solutions?

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
reply to halfzero2

I haven't seen my IP address change in months, since the last time I rebooted everything. And I do log such things. In my experience it only changes if the modem reboots or otherwise loses connection to the DSLAM.

Leviathan

join:2012-09-02
Bremen, IN
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Mediacom
reply to VegasG

With the addition of PrismTV, sounds like their current infrastructure cannot handle the load. Best bet is to call or submit an escalation ticket ( »www.centurylink.com/static/Pages···orm.html ) and hope they add new equipment to keep up with the demand. Having the same problem here, just don't expect anything to be done quickly. From experience, been having severe bandwidth exhaustion here for 21 months, 2 months ago PrismTV started to being offered and the exhaustion doubled now happening between noon-1am. 3 weeks ago CL tech support said they are in the process of adding new equipment and would be done in 48 hours, but like i said, was told that 3 weeks ago, and get told the same thing each time I call. So in reality, there is no known time as to when they will be done.

Essentially, there really isn't anything you can do to fix the problem with the connection on your end. Took me nearly 2 years of constant calls/complaints to finally make any progress. So I wish you good luck.

VegasG

Las Vegas, NV

I just spent one hour and twenty minutes on the phone with a CL rep who ended up "escalating" the issue.

If it's not fixed within the next forty eight hours, I'm done. Cox Cable has comparable plans in Las Vegas and there's no need to put up with yet another week of nightly useless online chats with "tech" reps and phone calls.

GetMoney

join:2010-06-11
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to halfzero2

Do you honestly think CTL resolved this issue because "halfzero2" from Broomfield CO was complaining on DSLr? That somehow they'd be able to narrow down your exact DSLAM based on this post? CTL truly doesn't give two shits about customers here. This is a moan and groan board as their precense here is to save face at best.

GetMoney

join:2010-06-11
reply to Leviathan

Prism TV isn't available in Indiana so I'm calling shenanigans on this post and if you've had broadband exhaust for almost two years there's a 0.00% chance they would deploy Prism in your area

halfzero2

Broomfield, CO
reply to GetMoney

said by GetMoney:

Do you honestly think CTL resolved this issue because "halfzero2" from Broomfield CO was complaining on DSLr? That somehow they'd be able to narrow down your exact DSLAM based on this post? CTL truly doesn't give two shits about customers here. This is a moan and groan board as their precense here is to save face at best.

I don't know. What I know is that the problem that I had for 1 month (December) was gone. As I understand, some system problems could go on for months if nobody complain or people who answer the phone don't know how to communicate to people who can control the equipment.

Actually, I don't care it was the act of CL or God, as long as it works like before.

Leviathan

join:2012-09-02
Bremen, IN
reply to GetMoney

Call shenanigans all you want. But when we get get mail offering us a "deal" on their PrismTV service, yes, I guess that means it is not available for us. Makes sense.

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
reply to xsbell

The best part of the FCC is they do no regulate the Internet in the US. They only make suggestions. This is why they're often sued and nobody cares to follow what they have to say.

mooch
No Booing Allowed

join:2001-11-11
Dublin, OH
Reviews:
·Embarq Now Centu..
reply to Leviathan

said by Leviathan:

Call shenanigans all you want. But when we get get mail offering us a "deal" on their PrismTV service, yes, I guess that means it is not available for us. Makes sense.

Getting a flyer in the mail is not a concrete indication that a service is available to you. For years I received Embarq and CL fliers telling me to sign up for DSL even though it was not available to me. Same thing continuously happens with Time Warner Cable...fliers recieved but service not available.

Irish Shark
Premium,MVM
Las Vegas, NV
reply to VegasG

said by VegasG:

.... If it's not fixed within the next forty eight hours, I'm done. Cox Cable has comparable plans in Las Vegas ....

I have had Cox in LV for 10 years after moving here. Not a single complaint, call to tech support, or a tech visit.

If you are serious about Cox, why wait any longer?

This is one of the reasons that I am following CL. I wanted to see how the LV folks are doing before I might make a change.
--

xsbell

Canada
Reviews:
·Primus Telecommu..
reply to TBBroadband

said by TBBroadband:

The best part of the FCC is they do no regulate the Internet in the US. They only make suggestions. This is why they're often sued and nobody cares to follow what they have to say.

I know retail internet isn't regulated, but the way they advertise it, is.

VegasG

Las Vegas, NV
reply to halfzero2

Well, I didn't need any confirmation that cancelling CenturyLink was a good idea but they decided to hit me with a $16 fee for cancelling the account despite being a customer for more than a year.

I'm off to the public utility commission sites here in Nevada to file a complaint.

What a disgusting way to do business from a pathetic excuse for an ISP.

Irish Shark
Premium,MVM
Las Vegas, NV

CL is going to charge you $16 to DC the service? No contract, right? Month-to-month agreement. right?

Did you "sign" any agreement when you started service?

I hope you are paying by CC, then you have a hammer; just dispute the charges.
--

Vegas Guy

@embarqhsd.net
reply to Irish Shark

Well, I didn't need any confirmation that cancelling CenturyLink was a good idea but they decided to hit me with a $16 fee for cancelling the account despite being a customer for more than a year.

I'm off to the public utility commission sites here in Nevada to file a complaint.

What a disgusting way to do business from a pathetic excuse for an ISP.

VegasG

Las Vegas, NV
reply to Irish Shark

I get billed monthly. I'm waiting for that final bill from these jerks and I'll fight it then.

Just found out that a friend who has CL DSL here in Vegas had a tech come to his house, rewire it and give him a new modem. My experience was several CL reps telling me there wasn't a problem and basically threatening me with a repair visit fee if I scheduled one.

*ssholes! I'm not done with 'em. Time to hit Yelp and several other sites and advise others of my experience with these idiots.