spc
Search similar:

uniqs
fishacura
join:2008-01-25
Phoenixville, PA

fishacura

Returning box - remote???

I am returning an old box. Do you think I have to return the remote with it? I'd like to keep an extra around just in case the dog gets to one. Anyone return without returning the remote?

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme

Premium Member

Usually they do not ask for it back.
billhere
join:2011-10-21
Santa Monica, CA

billhere to fishacura

to fishacura
I called and asked about returning the remote when Verizon replaced my DVR. They said keep it and that was about six weeks ago. This remote came with a user guide; original remote did not.

Bill
sg9
join:2007-07-23
Montclair, NJ

sg9 to fishacura

to fishacura
I never return the remote, but my last replacement box didn't come with a new remote anyway

btw, you can just order a remote for free using the in-home agent if you want an extra one (tv & stb remote only)

Rattler
join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA

Rattler to fishacura

to fishacura
Meh! When you think about what remotes go through, would you want to be issued one that may have been "pre-used"?

If someone ever got one of the ones my daughter has, after her 2-year old got done with them, they'd be harboring the diseases of the world... Those things would have to be run through a NASA/CDC decontamination chamber...

Andy from CA
Premium Member
join:2008-09-05
Anaheim, CA

Andy from CA

Premium Member

said by Rattler:

Meh! When you think about what remotes go through, would you want to be issued one that may have been "pre-used"?

If it means getting a four-button remote I wouldn't mind. I haven't used my TV's speakers / audio since I started running the audio (Stereo TV) through my AV receiver back in the 80s.
sg9
join:2007-07-23
Montclair, NJ

sg9

I've never tried, but can't you program the volume keys independently on the 2-button remote? I know there was something about it in the manual

cheapchem
@verizon.net

cheapchem to sg9

Anon

to sg9
said by sg9:

btw, you can just order a remote for free using the in-home agent if you want an extra one (tv & stb remote only)

I've had FIOS for 5 years and didn't know about this. Ordered one. Thanks for the info.

Rattler
Havertown, PA

Rattler to Andy from CA

to Andy from CA
said by Andy from CA:

If it means getting a four-button remote I wouldn't mind...

You have a point there...

I just took my daughter's 4-button remote apart to clean it up - what a mess! Managed to get all the kid-slime off the circuit board and cleaned up the keypad contact surfaces.

Hers is programmed to work with their TV and AV receiver (volume only). It is convenient to not have to have a cadre of remotes kicking around when you want to watch stuff and still be able to control the volume and mute an AV component.
fishacura
Phoenixville, PA

fishacura

Someone on one of these boards turned me onto the base logitech unit ($30 bucks or so) and I never looked back. Completely customizable and far better than any Verizon or other so-called "universal" option. I fought it for years but after a couple of days I was completely hooked. AWESOME investment.

Rattler
Havertown, PA

Rattler

said by fishacura:

Someone on one of these boards turned me onto the base logitech unit ($30 bucks or so) and I never looked back. Completely customizable and far better than any Verizon or other so-called "universal" option. I fought it for years but after a couple of days I was completely hooked. AWESOME investment.

Yeah, I have one of them and it is good - for most things. The problem with mine is that if I want to get into the nitty-gritties of adjusting the A/V receiver's signal inputs and surround system relative speaker levels, it gets a bit twitchy. So, for that, I use the remote that came with the receiver.

The other problem with my Logitech remote is that if I use the "task" oriented menu to turn the system on or off and then put it into a specific device mode, it seems to get confused and may not turn things on or off in the proper sequence the next time I go back to the task oriented mode. This may be unique to my system since the TV has different inputs that need to be accessed depending on whether I'm watching FiOS or a DVD - it's somewhat complicated to go through a lengthy explanation here, though.
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL to fishacura

to fishacura
said by fishacura:

Someone on one of these boards turned me onto the base logitech unit ($30 bucks or so) ...

Where do you find it for $30? The Logitech web site's lowest-priced model is $79.99. I did a web search and found a $29.95 price but that had a $20 shipping and handling fee!

Onedollar
join:2001-08-27
Pomona, CA

Onedollar to fishacura

to fishacura
I use the harmony 300. Runs around 20 bucks, prgrams 4 devices.
PJL
Long Beach, CA

PJL

said by Onedollar:

Apparently Logitech doesn't sell that unit anymore, although I found it available for as low as $18 when I did a search. It looks like it has functionality that is a lot like the 4-buttom unit sold by Verizon for $11.99 (»teleproducts.verizon.com ··· Products).

Onedollar
Pomona, CA

Onedollar

said by PJL:

said by Onedollar:

Apparently Logitech doesn't sell that unit anymore, although I found it available for as low as $18 when I did a search. It looks like it has functionality that is a lot like the 4-buttom unit sold by Verizon for $11.99 (»teleproducts.verizon.com ··· Products).

I think i got mine from Kmart for 14 bucks. Its a decent remote, lacks a bit in customization programming in terms of scripting delays etc, but does everything i need. The next step up are some 600' models around the 40 buck range that are refurb.
fishacura
Phoenixville, PA

fishacura to PJL

to PJL
said by PJL:

said by fishacura:

Someone on one of these boards turned me onto the base logitech unit ($30 bucks or so) ...

Where do you find it for $30? The Logitech web site's lowest-priced model is $79.99. I did a web search and found a $29.95 price but that had a $20 shipping and handling fee!

I found it in my horrible memory. It's the 650 model and you are 100% correct I think I paid $69 on sale. But well worth it IMHO. I was used to the old models where you pointed remotes at one another or entered archaic codes into the remotes keypad. Nowadays you plug the remote into the PC and have a terrific interface online to enter all your info (and it already has your specific models in its database so even the entry is minimal...only to customize those one-off buttons that older models were never able to nail).
PJL
Long Beach, CA

PJL

fishacura, the 650 looks like a far superior -- and cooler -- remote to the low-priced one mentioned by another poster and very much better than the Verizon one. Too bad Santa didn't think about adding it to the list this year!
UnnDunn
Premium Member
join:2005-12-21
Brooklyn, NY

UnnDunn to fishacura

Premium Member

to fishacura
said by fishacura:

You can have my Harmony 550 remote when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers.

Bought it on sale for $80 about 3 years ago. Best $80 I ever spent on a gadget.

Onedollar
Pomona, CA

Onedollar to PJL

to PJL
Here PJL:

Harmony 600 - brand new 38 bucks
»slickdeals.net/f/5778472 ··· Shipping

Harmony 650 Refurb - Newegg.com 35 bucks
PJL
Long Beach, CA