Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

[Help] Looking For A Sleeve/Case For The Nexus 7

I just ordered the Nexus 7 yesterday, and am looking for a good fitting sleeve/carrying case for it. Preferably one that zips shut.

I know there is a carrying case on Google Play, but they are out of dark grey, and I am also looking for one that I can put the Nexus in and out of it every day. The one on Google Play does not look like it's made for that purpose. Suggestions? Thanks.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

1 edit

PeteC2

MVM

Are you looking more for a sleeve or a "case" such as one of those book-enclosures?

I switch back and forth...

Most of the time, as I take my Nexus on the go daily, I have been using a Supcase which is a fake-leather, book-type case. At $14.95 it does a very good job of protection, fits well, and is very convenient.

However, the case does add size and bulk to the tablet, which is the down side. Sometimes I prefer to just throw it in a slip case (I just use an inexpesive case logic neoprene carry bag).

Hate to say it but I just can't quite make up my mind on this...

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

I was looking more for a sleeve than a case. I would like to find one that is made for the N 7 and that it can slide into, zip up and fit snug.

If I cannot find one, then I might just end up getting the book-enclosure type case that is on Google Play when they get it back in stock.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

1 edit

Snakeoil to lordpuffer

Premium Member

to lordpuffer
»www.amazon.com/M-Edge-Ac ··· +nexus+7

My wife and I have the M-Edge incline case for the Nexus 7. We like them. It's leather, has a magnet in the cover to put the Nexus into sleep mode.

Just saw this one:
»www.acetag.com/google-ne ··· ver.html

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

said by Snakeoil:

My wife and I have the M-Edge incline case for the Nexus 7. We like them. It's leather, has a magnet in the cover to put the Nexus into sleep mode.

Thanks. It looks interesting. Definitely something to consider.

FastEddie

join:2000-12-29
Channel Z

FastEddie

Go to eBay and search using Sleeve Nexus 7

Stay away from the Poetic Slimline case. They fall apart after about a month of daily use. It doesn't matter how well you take care of it, it still comes part.

I've got three different cases. And any case that says it's leather it is PU leather

I have one case that is like the Supcase I got for $10.00 nice case but I did like the "bulk" it added to the Nexus.

My other is is this case below. It has a hard plastic shell back and a wrap around cover. I really liked it. But the magnet that holds the flap to the back is weak and it's partner magnet on the back of the case the magnetic field comes though the back of the plastic shell. I don't use it anymore because of the magnet. »www.ebay.com/itm/Google- ··· 20f701ac

I went with the Nillkin case which can only be bought on eBay. It's a tad expensive at $24.00 but I like it. The only thing I don't like about it is, it doesn't have a magnet to hold the top cover close. It just lays on top of the screen. but I can live with that. »www.ebay.com/itm/Nillkin ··· c20e9c36

Nillkin Case

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

1 recommendation

lordpuffer

Premium Member

said by FastEddie:

I went with the Nillkin case which can only be bought on eBay. It's a tad expensive at $24.00 but I like it. The only thing I don't like about it is, it doesn't have a magnet to hold the top cover close. It just lays on top of the screen. but I can live with that.

Thanks FastEddie. That Nillkin case looks pretty nice. The case that they sell on Google Play for the Nexus 7 also, I believe, does not have a magnet to hold the top cover down. Right now, it's between the Nillkin and the "out of stock" grey case on Google Play (when it is back in stock, of course ).

I read a rumor that Google and Asus are coming out with more official cases pretty soon. I wish I could provide a link, but I don't remember where I read it.

FastEddie

join:2000-12-29
Channel Z

FastEddie

Here's a few quick shots of the Nillkin. The top and bottom of the Nexus aren't covered by the back shell. That can be seen in the last photo. Excuse the quality, the battery was going dead.

Front

Back

Thickness

See how back Shell Holds The Edge

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

I ended up getting the Official Google/Asus one here:

»play.google.com/store/de ··· ibHVlIl0.

I would have preferred the Dark Grey one, but Google Play has been out of them forever, and I'm not sure that the ones for sale on other sites are knock-off's or not.
lordpuffer

lordpuffer

Premium Member

FYI....I read a thread on a forum (sorry, but I don't have the link) that a company called ColcaSac »www.colcasac.com/ was making a few custom sleeves just for the N7.

I couldn't find any info on their website, so I emailed and asked. Their response was that they "may" have one for sale on their site by the end of Jan or the beginning of Feb. I'll post if I see it available, or keep an eye on their Facebook page.

Almost all sleeves that I have seen look to be generic 7" tablet sleeves, even if they sell it as 'made for the N7'. I would like a sleeve that is made just for the N7, and that fits properly.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2

MVM

said by lordpuffer:

FYI....I read a thread on a forum (sorry, but I don't have the link) that a company called ColcaSac »www.colcasac.com/ was making a few custom sleeves just for the N7.

I couldn't find any info on their website, so I emailed and asked. Their response was that they "may" have one for sale on their site by the end of Jan or the beginning of Feb. I'll post if I see it available, or keep an eye on their Facebook page.

Almost all sleeves that I have seen look to be generic 7" tablet sleeves, even if they sell it as 'made for the N7'. I would like a sleeve that is made just for the N7, and that fits properly.

Unlike a case, a sleeve only has to fit the device. For the most part, any sleeve designed for a 7" tablet ought to be a pretty good fit for the N7, as long as it fits and there is not excessive "slop".

Not to be negative, but I tend to be dismissive of companies such as ColcaSac, as their products are way over priced for what they are and what they bring to the table. $43.91 (incl. shipping) to protect a $200 device such as the Fire HD 7"? IMHO anything over 10% of the cost of the device is over kill, especially for what is simply a bag with no other function. After all, with a sealed battery, no tablet is going to last more than a couple of years or so, and its resale value as an electronics device is very limited at best. Protect it, yes, but don't "accessorize" it!

My $12.95 CaseLogic Neoprene sleeve protects my N7 just as well as ColcaSac's $39.95 effort (in terms of shock absorption, better), and fits the N7 just fine.

I am not by any means knocking which sleeve anyone might wish to use, but as far as I can tell, the only viable advantage to the ColcaSac for that price would be its visual appeal.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer

Premium Member

I really don't want to spend over $40 for a sleeve. I guess that I got spoiled when I bought the first Kindle Fire and Amazon made a perfect fit sleeve for it that I purchased.

I'll look at the CaseLogic sleeve again. Thanks.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON

pnjunction to lordpuffer

Premium Member

to lordpuffer
I use a cloth bag that came with my power supply whenever I want to toss my N7 in my backpack.

I don't why the f I'd ever need that bag for the PSU after unpacking and installing it, but it's just the right size for the 7.