Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

funny0

join:2010-12-22
reply to J E F F

Re: What I would do if Voltage has my IP Address

said by J E F F:

You really do need to show up in court. If a better percent of those that get the letter do show up in court, it will clog the system. If the system gets clogged, then likely the courts will stop hearing cases.

Can you imagine the backlog if Voltage went after 25,000 people and 20,000 decided to fight it? Voltage would go bankrupt.

Further, if everyone that gets a letter from Voltage decides to sue in small claims for harassment, this company will go down quickly.

We're on totally new grounds, and everything is untested in Canada. These judges don't understand copyright laws and how the internet affects everything.

Since this is new legislation, it might also be harder for those (Voltage) to actually prove in court their damages.

I know everyone is scared if they receive a letter, but it really won't be that bad. And all it's going to take is for those to stand up for their rights and not be bullied.

On the other hand, if you are buying DVD's for the purpose of torrenting, then that might be a bit different. I know aXXo used to upload a lot, and it's those people that need to be stopped. Not the casual downloader who decides to seed for a half an hour.

In the meantime, stop using torrents for your movies. Find more legal ways to download. As far as I know, downloading files in Canada is still a 'grey' area. (this means download direct from a site, no uploading involved)

And as I mentioned previously, there are legal options for music and movies. Obviously it's not 'free'...and although the money only goes to the exec's and stuff, at least you're not breaking the law.

Here is an interesting article as well:

»www.newstalk650.com/node/86140

And I am willing to bet a double-double that no one here goes to court over this.

especially when 20000 people ask the court to have the charges agaisnt them read in court , even a joined action against the 20000 well all i have to say is see you in 2050....
and thats how you start to fight back on bad abusers ....

seriously commercial infringement , now imagine that everyone showing up also counter sues for
slander , defamation of character and pain and suffering for 1 million dollars after all your in federal big boy court.

you can easily prove beyond a reasonable doubt you DID NOT counterfeit/commerical make money off said stuff.

they aren't talking aobut non commercial and you didn't steal are nto a thief and i'll add are not a pirate that robs/rapes and harms or kills people for loot.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
We only need enough people to fill up the courtroom and to drag the accusations for entire week, then more people can show up the following week.

I really can't see this getting much traction other than these people who settle out of court. And maybe that's their plan.

Counter-suing is a great idea though, as there are very few commercial pirates in Canada, and certainly not 20,000.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
said by J E F F:

I really can't see this getting much traction other than these people who settle out of court. And maybe that's their plan.

I don't know much computer gobbledygook as I sit around and read case law instead.

What I do know is that people seek the path of least resistance and few people ever put up a legal defence that gets to a trial.

99% of the TSI customers will settle without consumer advocate intervention. Guaranteed.

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
Depends on the settlement. If it's $200, sure. If it's $5,000, I doubt it. Maybe the plan is to settle what the market can bare, I don't know. But even if 1% decides to fight it, then that 1% will ruin it for Voltage to take it to the next level...Rogers, Bell, Telus, Videotron, Shaw, Cogeco...
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
said by J E F F:

Depends on the settlement. If it's $200, sure. If it's $5,000, I doubt it. Maybe the plan is to settle what the market can bare, I don't know. But even if 1% decides to fight it, then that 1% will ruin it for Voltage to take it to the next level...Rogers, Bell, Telus, Videotron, Shaw, Cogeco...

Their legal counsel and bean counters have worked out the tipping point that anyone with legal advice will settle. A few people like myself, even if offered to settle for a dollar, will exhibit a tenacity that will wish they never encountered us.

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Well bless you and the other 1%.

This is going to be very interesting to watch as it unfolds.
--

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
said by J E F F:

Well bless you and the other 1%.

It's not like people like me are naturally altruistic, though many are, we are just obstinate and inclined to fight.

In ancient times we wouldn't survive long, probably not into adulthood, or would go on to lead great campaigns.

We are not really motivated by the opponent but the principle or righteous cause or our own sense of hubris.

However we are often wrong and subject to great prejudice because of it.

But one thing usually results. Those who encounter us tread cautiously upon subsequent encounters.