Click for full size
after taking splitter out - only with adapter straight thru
Click for full size
with new 2-way 3GHZ splitter and only cable modem line attached
Click for full size
with TWC splitter and cable tv and other tv attached
Click for full size
with TWC splitter and only cable modem line attached
Alright, for the last year I have had many intermittent connection issues with my TWC cable internet. I have made many calls only to find out that the tech wouldn't do anything because of course it would be working by the time he got out to the house. So what I did was started reading about power levels on my Docsis 3 modem/router provided by TWC. Upon reading it seems those levels need to be within an acceptable range. I have had a TWC provided 3-way 5-1002Mhz splitter hooked up with the cable modem line, cable tv box line, and a second tv (with no cable box just tv) line. I have since just bought a simple adapter to hook the cable modem line straight thru with the line coming from the pole and it works flawlessly. I have attached printscreen pictures of the modem connections page that show the difference once hooking up various splitters and the adapter. It is obvious that the levels are the best with only the adapter attached. Now of course this is a good thing but the downside is I can't hook my cable tv line up. So I guess what I am looking for is advice on which extreme low level loss splitter I can use to hook up all needed lines yet still keep the same connection levels. Thank you in advance.
Fleeced
join:2012-10-06

Fleeced

All splitters will drop your power levels. Most do by 3.5db. Cheap splitters will cause interference that you'd see as a SNR drop.

Overall your signals look good, even with the splitter hooked up. They get low, but not out of range. Do you have your intermittent problems without the splitter?

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

2 edits

motorola870 to Freaking TWC

to Freaking TWC
said by Freaking TWC :

Alright, for the last year I have had many intermittent connection issues with my TWC cable internet. I have made many calls only to find out that the tech wouldn't do anything because of course it would be working by the time he got out to the house. So what I did was started reading about power levels on my Docsis 3 modem/router provided by TWC. Upon reading it seems those levels need to be within an acceptable range. I have had a TWC provided 3-way 5-1002Mhz splitter hooked up with the cable modem line, cable tv box line, and a second tv (with no cable box just tv) line. I have since just bought a simple adapter to hook the cable modem line straight thru with the line coming from the pole and it works flawlessly. I have attached printscreen pictures of the modem connections page that show the difference once hooking up various splitters and the adapter. It is obvious that the levels are the best with only the adapter attached. Now of course this is a good thing but the downside is I can't hook my cable tv line up. So I guess what I am looking for is advice on which extreme low level loss splitter I can use to hook up all needed lines yet still keep the same connection levels. Thank you in advance.

I would recommend going back to the TWC provided splitter as there is no reason for having a 5MHz-3GHz splitter which are meant for Satellite TV systems in the home. Also TWC does not use frequencies above 864MHz in the North Texas area or any system for that matter and I would not recommend the 3GHz splliter because if you get a Whole house DVR in the future TWC is going to make you chunk that 3GHz splitter as the MoCA frequencies which the whole house DVR use are in the 1.5GHz range. I would choose the last configuration with the TWC splitter until you could get a tech out to see what the issue is or get two 2-way splitters from TWC and then give the modem a direct connection from one leg of the first splitter and then give the other leg a connection to another two way splitter and then feed the other lines from there on out.

I have to have a a two way splitter and then one leg going to the modem and another going to an 2-way amp that feeds the rest of the house.