share rss forum feed

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to takeahike

Re: Fuck Dell

said by takeahike:

By the way, on the deal that prompted me to start this thread it turned out that the hard drive was bad so I had to get it out somehow. Just got more aggressive with the keyboard and then the palm-rest came off easily after removing the ten (yes, ten) screws on the backside. I was lucky that the client didn't stop the deal when I told them it was going to cost the original $120 I quoted them plus $100 for a new drive, especially since they really had no data that they were concerned about recovering. Well, now that I've done one of these, maybe it won't be as intimidating the next time.

I bought one of those cheap Dells then found out about the hard drive. There are a few youtube videos that make it look relatively easy though if I ever have to replace the drive even with the keyboard. Just step by step and reverse to put back together.

dfrandin
Premium
join:2002-06-14
Las Vegas, NV
Reviews:
·Virpus.com

said by nonymous:

I bought one of those cheap Dells then found out about the hard drive...

There's your mistake..Buying one of those "cheap Dells".. A retired 20+ year laptop tech/10+ years on Dells.. Dell laptops are fabulous IF you stay with the corporate models, namely Latitude and Precision, and Optiplex/Precision on desktops.. These laptop models are the "two screws to remove harddrive" types.. The "home user" Inspirons? not so much... And pricewise? Since I'm retired, I do a fair amount of consulting on computer issues, and I swear by the Dell Outlet.. I've lost track of how many people I've steered to purchasing a corporate model laptop (or desktop) from the Outlet.. The systems are current model, come with 3 year warantees, US-based support, are factory-refurbished, and come with a serious discount, from 10% to 25%, depending on which of the three condition tiers you buy from. Never had a client come back and say "Hey.. that Dell I bought was $@#%#$%43"... Not once..
Just my .02..

LVDave

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

said by dfrandin:

said by nonymous:

I bought one of those cheap Dells then found out about the hard drive...

There's your mistake..Buying one of those "cheap Dells".. A retired 20+ year laptop tech/10+ years on Dells.. Dell laptops are fabulous IF you stay with the corporate models, namely Latitude and Precision, and Optiplex/Precision on desktops.. These laptop models are the "two screws to remove harddrive" types.. The "home user" Inspirons? not so much... And pricewise? Since I'm retired, I do a fair amount of consulting on computer issues, and I swear by the Dell Outlet.. I've lost track of how many people I've steered to purchasing a corporate model laptop (or desktop) from the Outlet.. The systems are current model, come with 3 year warantees, US-based support, are factory-refurbished, and come with a serious discount, from 10% to 25%, depending on which of the three condition tiers you buy from. Never had a client come back and say "Hey.. that Dell I bought was $@#%#$%43"... Not once..
Just my .02..

LVDave

I watched a couple youtube videos that make it look easy. Famous last words. Just hope I do not have to do anything for at least few years or more. Plus it was cheap. If I get a few years i am fine. If I have to figure out a hard drive then it will not matter if I fail.