uniqs

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person
join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA

not quite right to Cody0

to Cody0

Re: Spec'ing out an iMac for my brother

I have 16GB's of Patriot Memory that I got for a deal at Fry's in the Mac Mini that seems to run fine. I do believe that OWC is a quality act that I have had many, many good experiences with. I view them to be almost Nordstrom like, they might be a little higher in price, but always great quality merchandise with second to none service.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

4 edits

skeechan

Premium Member

I just get tired of paying to return to Newegg or Amazon. Any savings is lost with having to return items and wait for replacements to find they don't work either. I'd rather pay a bit more up front and get it done right the first time.

I just went through this with my new iMac and its 32GB of RAM. I'd love to pay $160+tax for RAM instead of $220 shipped but with my experience, I never get the cheap RAM running reliably. Even if it posts and seems okay I find later on kernel panics or other random issues. Then have to deal with returns or RMAs during which my machine is down. Or simply eat the old RAM because I am beyond a short return window and spend the $220 anyway. I'd rather pay $45 bucks more (since Newegg and Amazon both charge tax in California now) now and get something I know will work and if I ever do have a problem know I'll have no trouble getting an immediate replacement. The potential savings simply isn't worth the hassle.

not
@comcast.net

not

Anon

said by skeechan:

I just get tired of paying to return to Newegg or Amazon. Any savings is lost with having to return items and wait for replacements to find they don't work either. I'd rather pay a bit more up front and get it done right the first time.

I just went through this with my new iMac and its 32GB of RAM. I'd love to pay $160+tax for RAM instead of $220 shipped but with my experience, I never get the cheap RAM running reliably. Even if it posts and seems okay I find later on kernel panics or other random issues. Then have to deal with returns or RMAs during which my machine is down. Or simply eat the old RAM because I am beyond a short return window and spend the $220 anyway. I'd rather pay $45 bucks more (since Newegg and Amazon both charge tax in California now) now and get something I know will work and if I ever do have a problem know I'll have no trouble getting an immediate replacement. The potential savings simply isn't worth the hassle.

Never paid for return shipping from Amazon. Call them up or better yet, request a return online and you get a preprinted return label. As for Newegg, buy what you read works in a particular machine. That's what the reviews are for. The biggest issues with memory in Macs are timing and voltage... but mostly timing. Probably the worse memory I've ever had bad experiences with was OCZ years ago, which is ironic because OCZ is supposed to be really good memory. Since they, I haven't trusted any of their stuff, SSD included.

Considering Apple charges an arm and a leg for cheap ass Hynix memory, I'd never buy an upgrade from them. But hey, we all have our prefs and opinions.

not quite right
Puyallup, WA

1 recommendation

not quite right

said by not :

Considering Apple charges an arm and a leg for cheap ass Hynix memory, I'd never buy an upgrade from them. But hey, we all have our prefs and opinions.

Ya cheap ass Hynix only your second largest memory manufacture in the world, only behind Samsung (who Apple uses as well).

not
@comcast.net

not

Anon

said by not quite right:

Ya cheap ass Hynix only your second largest memory manufacture in the world, only behind Samsung (who Apple uses as well).

It's crap in my book. Had several modules of it be junk on arrival or fail after some time. I don't care how big they are... if you've got a bad rep with me, it's a bad rep, period.

Years ago, IBM/Lenovo screwed me over on a server several times with a client. I no longer trust their hardware for ANYONE. So, as you can see, it's not just memory.... if you make my sh*t list, it's very hard to come off it.

not quite right
Puyallup, WA

not quite right

said by not :

said by not quite right:

It's crap in my book. Had several modules of it be junk on arrival or fail after some time. I don't care how big they are... if you've got a bad rep with me, it's a bad rep, period.

Years ago, IBM/Lenovo screwed me over on a server several times with a client. I no longer trust their hardware for ANYONE. So, as you can see, it's not just memory.... if you make my sh*t list, it's very hard to come off it.

So?

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

1 recommendation

skeechan

Premium Member

»Re: [rant] Apple Support Sucks