share rss forum feed

paintref
Look, I see stars

join:2003-02-21
Houston, TX
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

[Help] What to do with an old alternator

I just had my alternator replaced and I asked my mechanic if he could take my old one to recycle. He said yes, but he ended up giving me back my old one (Which I don't mind at least they are honest).

But now, what do I do with it? I bought it off ebay and not at a parts store, so I know I will not get a core charge at all.

Should I look for a shop that specializes in remanufacturing alternators or do I have other options?

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

The metal inside is worth some money (copper wiring).

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1
reply to paintref

Hmm, I just replaced my alternator a little while ago, and it had a $30 or $40 core value, so I'm not sure why he ended up giving you back the old alternator.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA
reply to PrntRhd

said by PrntRhd:

The metal inside is worth some money (copper wiring).

Unless there's damage to the housing or wiring (methinks that's not very likely) they are rebuildable with not much effort, so they worth quite a bit.
But their scrap value is probably not much.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

pmohr
Premium
join:2002-09-22
Maryville, TN
reply to aurgathor

said by aurgathor:

Hmm, I just replaced my alternator a little while ago, and it had a $30 or $40 core value, so I'm not sure why he ended up giving you back the old alternator.

As it says in the very first post:

said by paintref:

I bought it off ebay and not at a parts store, so I know I will not get a core charge at all.

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
reply to paintref

Parts stores used to charge a core charge on alternators.

Since they now seem to be rebuilt in China, seems they don't want the old to ship back.

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA
reply to pmohr

Ooops, should've read the full post before replying...

gillespie
Premium
join:2001-11-28
USA
reply to paintref

Make a welder.

Tig

join:2006-06-29
Carrying Place, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to paintref

FWIW I recently bought a working Toyota alternator at a wrecker for $15. I don't see much value or use in your defective alternator.
Housing is probably aluminum, windings are (dirty) copper. If you spend the time to pull it apart you may get near $5 at the local scrap metal dealer.
I give stuff like this to a local guy who makes a meager living recycling metals.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to paintref

If you were not charged a core value by the seller on ebay then look for a local recycler or rebuilder that purchases cores.

paintref
Look, I see stars

Houston, TX
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Tig

said by Tig:

FWIW I recently bought a working Toyota alternator at a wrecker for $15. I don't see much value or use in your defective alternator.
Housing is probably aluminum, windings are (dirty) copper. If you spend the time to pull it apart you may get near $5 at the local scrap metal dealer.
I give stuff like this to a local guy who makes a meager living recycling metals.

I decided to take it to a scrap yard. Got $2.75 for the lot. Better than nothing I suppose.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2

said by paintref:

I decided to take it to a scrap yard. Got $2.75 for the lot. Better than nothing I suppose.

Would you do it again ? For $2.75, I suspect not....

paintref
Look, I see stars

Houston, TX
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

said by Hall:

Would you do it again ? For $2.75, I suspect not....

I knew I wouldn't get much for it from scrapping, so it's okay...I even offered it to a mechanic friend of mine to see if he could rebuild it, but he said nope, so off to the scrap heap.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2

If he was bored and enjoys rebuilding them, he realizes he then has to sit on it and wait for someone to need that particular part... I suspect that years ago, you'd remove your own dead alternator, rebuilt it, and put it back on the car.

shdesigns