spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

sarah81

@direcway.com

[HN9000] Something on new computer is draining my bandwidth fast

Hi, I'm really desperate to find some kind of answer about what's going on with my system. I have Hughes Net, the plan that gives me 300 MB of bandwidth a day (and I can store 500). For the past few years I've been using a PC with Windows Vista, and though I can't remember exactly which programs (spyware, etc.) are installed on it, I've never had any problem with mysterious bandwidth usage. As long as I'm not browsing the web, nothing is happening on my status bar.

However, for Christmas I got a new PC, with Windows 8. I immediately switched my ethernet cable over to the new system, and was shocked to find that even when I'm doing NOTHING online, my bandwidth is draining at the rate of about 10 MB every few minutes. If I simply leave it connected and don't touch it, it'll use up my daily allotment within a few hours. So I've had to go back to old computer.

One of the first things I did was turn off automatic Windows Updates, so that shouldn't be it. Are there other automatic updates that need to be turned off? I've tried looking in the Task Manager to see what's running, but to be honest, it's gibberish to me. I don't understand what I'm looking at. How do I find out what's draining my bandwidth, and more importantly, how do I put a stop to it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sarah

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ

Re: [HN9000] Something on new computer is draining my bandwidth

Posting a screenshot of your task manager may help.

gwalk
Premium
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.
reply to sarah81

Look in Task Manager to see if BITS is running.

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

I'm not up on Win 8 but in others turning off Win update only prevented INSTALLATION, not the backround download.

tobicat
Premium
join:2005-04-18
Tombstone, AZ
reply to sarah81

I bet ten bucks that it is windows updates downloading all the updates for windows and office.

You might as well bite bullet untill it gets tem all.
--
7000S SatMex 5 1050, Dlink wirless

gwalk
Premium
West Mich.
reply to sarah81

BITS is the updater.

sarah81

@direcway.com

Well, I noticed it wasn't doing the same thing this afternoon - it seemed to be pretty quiet, wasn't eating up 40MB in 20 minutes like it did this morning. But I just checked and that BITS thing was in fact running, so I went ahead and disabled it. We'll see if that helps upon start-up tomorrow. Thanks so much for the tip!

But I wonder, will I have to disable it each and every day? If so, I guess it's a small price to pay for not having a huge chunk of my bandwidth for all intents and purposes stolen.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY
reply to sarah81

When a new PC is pre-loaded with a software package, every one likely defaults to auto-updownload-install. So besides Windows, you'll also have to go through all the 3rd party software and set each of them to manual download as well.

I didn't realize that's what BITS did actually. But it will in fact run every time you restart Windows, unless/until you physically turn the service off

//greg//
--
HN7000S - 98cm Prodelin/2w "pure" Osiris - ProPlus - G16/1001H - NOC:GTN - NAT 67.142.115.130 - Gateway 66.82.25.10 - DNS 66.82.4.12 and 66.82.4.8 - Firefox 15/MSIE9 - AV/Firewalled by NIS2012

One More Too

join:2010-09-09
Galena, IL
reply to sarah81

Assuming that Windows 8 is similar to Windows 7, the only way to permanently turn off BITS is to go to services (by typing "services" in the start menu), select Background Intelligent Transfer Service, and disable it. But I'm not sure that you really want to disable it. With any new computer, there are going to be a good number of updates since the date when your computer's operating system was made and installed in your computer. You really don't want to ignore all those updates, and, once they have had a chance to be downloaded and installed, further updates should be much more manageable with regard to the amount of bandwidth that they are using.

I would suggest that your best course of action is to open Windows Update, and, under settings, select the option that says that it will notify you of updates and let you decide which to install and when to install them. Then, you can choose to install them when you know you will have the necessary bandwidth available.

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa
kudos:5
reply to sarah81

We figured out that there are registry changes that can be made such that BITS will only allow downloads during specific hours. See »[HN7000S] Windows Updates
--
Motosat self-pointing dishes: .74 meter G74 on 127W, SL-5 HD DirecTV|Hughes HN7000S|Verizon UMW190 Air Card|1990 Blue Bird Wanderlodge Bus "Blue Thunder"|Author of hnFAP-Alert, PC-OPI and DSSatTool

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

Dawson Springs, KY

BITS options

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
usa

Delayed start has no measurable effect on the problem at hand. Whether the service starts at boot, or starts 2 minutes later (the rough delay of "delayed start") is not significant.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

Dawson Springs, KY

That was just a followup graphic to help turning the BITS service off so it wouldn't come back with each Windows restart.

//greg//

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
usa

said by grohgreg:

That was just a followup graphic to help turning the BITS service off so it wouldn't come back with each Windows restart.

//greg//

OK, I can understand that, but I think it is a bad idea to turn that service off completely, even if there wasn't the ability to use the register to control it. Out-of-sight, out-of-mind; there are occasionally updates that are truly critical that a user with disabled BITS would not hear about.
--
Motosat self-pointing dishes: .74 meter G74 on 127W, SL-5 HD DirecTV|Hughes HN7000S|Verizon UMW190 Air Card|1990 Blue Bird Wanderlodge Bus "Blue Thunder"|Author of hnFAP-Alert, PC-OPI and DSSatTool

One More Too

Galena, IL

said by dbirdman:

said by grohgreg:

//greg//

OK, I can understand that, but I think it is a bad idea to turn that service off completely, even if there wasn't the ability to use the register to control it. Out-of-sight, out-of-mind; there are occasionally updates that are truly critical that a user with disabled BITS would not hear about.

As I said in a previous post, I agree that it is not wise to disable BITS. I believe that the Windows default setting for this service is "manual". If you have Windows Update set with the "check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them" option, BITS will, I believe, be manually turned on when you decide to download and install the updates.

Also note that, unless you have User Account Control Settings turned off, you will receive a warning notice when you select "check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them" for your Windows Update setting. User Account Control is turned on by default in some versions of Windows, including Windows 7 Starter, Home Basic, and Home Premium, and it is turned off by default in other versions, including Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate.

Also, as an aside, for those interested in making more efficient use of their computer's resources, there are very useful recommendations here with regard to which services can safely be disabled, set to manual, etc.
»www.blackviper.com/

gwalk
Premium
West Mich.

1 edit
reply to sarah81

According to this Wikipedia page there are a number on non-Microsoft applications requiring BITS:

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Background···_Service

The best bet I would think is to leave the computer off until the "Free Time" to avoid FAP. OP indicates a HN9000.

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
usa

said by gwalk:

The best bet I would think is to leave the computer off until the "Free Time" to avoid FAP. OP indicates a HN9000.

But that's the point of the registry fix: You don't have to turn off the computer, you just have to make BITS only operate in the "Free Time."
--

gwalk
Premium
West Mich.

I agree Don, it sounded however that the OP was concerned with FAP and "mysterious usage".
If the OP were to keep the computer off until the free time and then update that would get Him/Her past past FAP.

The poster didn't seem to have usage concerns with the old computer, so once fully updated the new one should be in the same usage pattern.

As for messing with the registry...that could get a little dicy depending on the experience level of the OP.

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
usa

Have you looked at the post about the registry? Using a .reg file to make the change is extremely low risk, as such things go. Certainly no more chancy than editing service entries.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

Dawson Springs, KY
reply to sarah81

Plus, my Win7/Pro gives me the option of simply being notified of available Microsoft updates. Windows notifies me of available updates, and lists them by type of update, priority, and size. From that list I can individually select only those that I want downloaded immediately. I can then go back for the others as bandwidth permits.

My BITS service by the way, operates operates in the "Automatic-delayed start" mode. Since I've never been to that page before, it's either (a) default or (b) a reflection of the Microsoft Update setting I described above.

That said, I have a 64 bit Win8 installation disc for a couple weeks now. Just haven't had the time to set up a dual boot configuration.

//greg//
--
HN7000S - 98cm Prodelin/2w "pure" Osiris - ProPlus - G16/1001H - NOC:GTN - NAT 67.142.115.130 - Gateway 66.82.25.10 - DNS 66.82.4.12 and 66.82.4.8 - Firefox 15/MSIE9 - AV/Firewalled by NIS2012

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
usa

said by grohgreg:

That said, I have a 64 bit Win8 installation disc for a couple weeks now. Just haven't had the time to set up a dual boot configuration.

//greg//

I was forced into using Windows 8 three weeks ago when a critical machine died and all I could buy locally to immediately getting things working all had 8 on them. Can't say I'm impressed. Noting your comment above, I saw this posted elsewhere earlier today:

quote:
Now I have discovered a problem with dual booting Windows 7 and Windows
8. One of the features in Windows 8 is a hybrid shutdown mode that
really helps reduce start-up speed. Apparently Windows 7 does not like
that at all. I discover the problem when I shutdown Windows 8 and then
booted Windows 7.

My test computer has 4 hard drives. While booting Windows 7 I received
messages about corrupted files on each of the other 3 drives. Chkdsk
ran repeatedly and when Windows 7 finally finished booting, all the
other drives were blank.
--

gwalk
Premium
West Mich.

I have a hard drive selector switch in mine:

»www.cooldrives.com/index.php/4po···3ba.html

Allows me to run 4 different operating systems without having to dual boot.
Works really well.

sarah81

@direcway.com
reply to dbirdman

Okay, so I had no problems with draining bandwidth yesterday afternoon and evening, and thought maybe the issue was fixed (like I said, I've already turned off all the auto updates I can think of), but then this morning the exact same thing happened again. Before I remembered to check, I had dropped from 500 to 230 MB. So I immediately disconnected my ethernet cable before I lost the rest. After a few hours, I plugged it back in, and now the number is holding steady and nothing is draining it.

What could be causing this to happen only in the morning? I generally only put my computer in sleep mode at night, I don't shut it down. So it's not as if Windows is booting up or the Hughesnet system is restarting.

gwalk
Premium
West Mich.

Being a new computer probably everything installed on it wants to update. It can be hard to change everything to "manual".

I still think it may pay to keep it off the net until the first opportunity to update everything during the free time.

Once everything is updated you should be good to go except perhaps on "Patch Tuesday"

You really don't want to run un patched.
You are running Anti-virus and anti-malware software I hope.

laserfan

join:2005-01-14
Texas
reply to sarah81

As dbirdman has said already, everyone on HN *really* needs to set their BITS service to download only during FAP-free periods. It has never failed me (how long has it been since we figured this out Don, a year maybe?).

The only quirk of doing the registry change for FAP-free BITS operation is that the Windows logs will contain numerous messages about "getting downloads" that don't actually happen until the 200a ET start, at which time the downloading commences.

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
usa

said by laserfan:

(how long has it been since we figured this out Don, a year maybe?)

Just over a year, December, 2011. I don't know about the "we" - the reg file I ended up recommending used your settings rather than mine.
--

sarah81

@direcway.com

Okay guys, I think I've figured out what the problem is, but I still have no idea how to fix it. I've been watching the damn Task Manager, and the thing that keeps popping up when the bandwidth is draining is "svchost.exe (netsvcs)" I looked it up and it seems other people have had problems with this thing constantly downloading, especially with Windows 7. But I'm so computer illiterate, I'm still not sure exactly what it is or how to go about getting rid of it. I've been trying to shoot it down as it pops up by either clicking "end process" or "suspend process," and it goes away for a few minutes only to come back.

If anyone could give me simple steps for how to turn this horrible thing off or get it out of my system (or point me in the direction of where those steps might be), I would be so grateful.

gwalk
Premium
West Mich.

For some info read here:

»www.neuber.com/taskmanager/proce···exe.html

Do you have an anti-program installed ?
Do you have an anti-malware program installed ?

Have you ran scans with these yet ?

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to sarah81

svchost is not malware.

One More Too

Galena, IL

said by silbaco:

svchost is not malware.

That is absolutely correct. The svchost is a legitimate Windows process, and it is likely that several instances of it will show up in the task manager at any given time.

That said, it is possible for malware to initiate svchost, but, especially with a brand new computer, I think it unlikely. My guess would be that you are still getting automatic updates to either Windows or other software, which is quite normal with any new computer for a period of time after the computer is put into service. Have you changed the setting for Windows Update to the choice that notifies you of updates and lets you decide which to download and install? And have you also disabled automatic updates to all other software installed on the computer? If you haven't done those two things, you are likely to continue to have "surprise" use of your bandwidth.

In any case, to be certain that you don't have malware, I would suggest running several malware scans. In addition to running a full system scan with your installed anti-virus program, I would also suggest running full scans with Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware. Free additions of both can be found with a quick Google search. I would also suggest running a scan with the free version of HijackThis. The HijackThis results are a bit harder to interpret but, if you run the scan and paste the results here, we can either help you interpret them or point you toward an on-line analyzer that will help you interpret them.

sarah81

@direcway.com
reply to gwalk

Norton came preinstalled on the machine, but I haven't actually run a scan yet. (I hope that isn't another thing that's downloading updates without my permission.) I'm downloading Microsoft's Malicious Software removal tool right now. What are the best free ones to use?

I ran that Svchost Analyzer in the link you posted, but it's hopeless. I just don't understand the results or what to do about them.