how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Reyr

join:2009-01-03
Wilmington, DE

Fios Media Server

Any new news on the MEdia Server they said would come out Q4 of this year? I'm really interested. It would make a tv install into a kitchen a lot easier with no need for wires.

»Verizon Prepares to Launch FiOS Media Server

dmodert66

join:2007-04-02
Ontario, CA

I have not heard any updates, but the sooner the better. Maybe we will receive an update at CES? I'm not going this year dang it. Next year for sure.

RSB

@cisco.com
reply to Reyr

The LG BP620 BD player, which supports the Verizon App, also supports WiFi. So, the only cables you'd need would be 2 power cables.

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
kudos:2

said by RSB :

The LG BP620 BD player, which supports the Verizon App, also supports WiFi. So, the only cables you'd need would be 2 power cables.

And he wouldn't get the local channels.....

brownk

join:2000-06-08
Katonah, NY

1 edit
reply to RSB

said by RSB :

I'm confused. How would this help? It's still a box. He might as well wire up a cable box and get everything.

EDITED: OK, sorry. If the issue is getting a cable wire into the kitchen then I see why this helps. If the issue is having a cable box in the kitchen (my wife's pet peeve) then this probably wouldn't be a good solution.

nascar

join:2000-02-28
Verona, NJ
reply to Reyr

I'm hoping to get some news in a few weeks.

Reyr

join:2009-01-03
Wilmington, DE
reply to brownk

yeah I'd rather not run any new wires into the kitchen..and the box is significantly smaller...at least it appears to be.

Timothy28

join:2006-05-13
Lewisville, TX
reply to Reyr

I've been looking forward to this too and hoping to hear something from CES. There are two or three nights we just can't record everything and six tuners would solve that problem.

Zero

join:2009-07-01
Collegeville, PA

said by Timothy28:

I've been looking forward to this too and hoping to hear something from CES.

I'd expect Verizon to show it off at CES. That's where in the past they've shown off their latest tech. Last year it was Samsung, LG, and Xbox internet TV streaming for FiOS TV. Hopefully they'll have some ETA for customers to get their hands on one.

jonahan7

join:2007-01-11
Buffalo, NY
reply to Reyr

»www.theverge.com/2013/1/7/384887···a-server

Sadly no dates or pricing.

DAVIDGR

join:2005-03-08
Armonk, NY

Here's a link to the press release and video.
»newscenter.verizon.com/residenti···ver-ces/

The VMS1100 is the centerpiece of a new Motorola Medios+ VMS platform that supports up to five IPC1100 clients on separate TVs. The bottom line: everyone in the house can watch what they want, at the same time.

The VMS1100 has one terabyte of internal storage so you don’t have to compete for space — that’s 100 hours of HD content or weeks of SD programming. The IPC1100 taps into all that goodness via coax, from a sleek box the size of a paperback novel.

So how do I sign up?

tennisman94

join:2010-02-18
Palm Harbor, FL
reply to Reyr

I wonder if this is RVU based.

Timothy28

Lewisville, TX
reply to DAVIDGR

As soon as that's available i'm getting it.

MrKal_El

join:2003-01-19
Franklin Square, NY
reply to Reyr

Whoa...Completely sold me that you can pause Live TV on any set....
--
Twitter: MrKal_El

danman48

join:2007-10-11
Huntington Beach, CA
reply to Reyr

I'll be at CES tmrw. I'll take some pictures of the sizes of the boxes and also try to get the maximums on box counts. I have 7 boxes and while usually only 3-4 or on at a time, I'd like to know if you can have multiple boxes but only a few streams. Also they'll need to do a better job of organizing data. We have 2 DVRs so that everyone's stuff is somewhat separate.

Webcobbler

@verizon.net
reply to Timothy28

I as well will get this as soon as it is out, and I can get my hands on them.

I am very excited.

Webcobbler

@verizon.net
reply to danman48

That sounds great, danman. I'm sure all of us would appreciate it.

Sixto
Premium
join:2005-09-16
Northeast

1 edit
reply to Reyr

Can you have more then one VMS1100?

If so, can one media server see the content from another, and can a client from one media server see the content from another?

Can old boxes see content from a new media server?

Do the new media server clients have a tuner, or do the steal a tuner from the server?

nascar

Verona, NJ

1 edit

I was told this months ago so it may or may not be accurate now...

Yes (corrected) "Can you have more then one VMS1100?"
No "Can old boxes see content from a new media server?"
Steal "Do the new media server clients have a tuner, or do the steal a tuner from the server?"

Guessing we will know more facts over the next days to months.

If I can get any factual details I will update.

Sixto
Premium
Northeast

Certainly bad news if true.

Thanks for replying.

nascar

Verona, NJ

It is a great idea. But for power viewers/recorders, it may not be the answer (I need).

I need more than 1 TB and more than 6 tuners.

If the satellite boxes had an independent tuner and one that recordings could be viewed from than it would work for me. Plus I need more like 3 TB. The 4 TV limitation is not an issue for me so far.

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ
reply to Reyr

Am I the only one that believes Verizon will follow the same rollout procedure as the Dish Hopper and Directv Genie, in which only new users were able to order them?

Fingers crossed that Im wrong....

Timothy28

Lewisville, TX
reply to Reyr

Who could possibly need to record more then 6 shows at once? I mean really, the ability to record 6 shows at once plus still watch from any other tv in the house at the same time. You need more then that i think you are spending too much time watching tv.

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

said by Timothy28:

Who could possibly need to record more then 6 shows at once?

Its rare but take for example a family of 4/5 can tie up 6 recordings pretty easily. However Id venture to say 95% of homes will be fine with 6 max.

Webcobbler

@verizon.net
reply to bohratom

That would really suck. I hope current customers can get them when they arrive, and not just for new customers. I might have to cancel FiOS, and reup then , if it comes to that.

But anyway, does anyone know IF the DCT700 Digital Adapters that FiOS customers have, like me who have 3, will be compatible with the new VMS1100 Media Server and IPC1100 IP STBs? Since they do not have a guide etc, (to me they should be compatible, and I know regular STBS are not, and would have to be swapped out.)

Also, do you think a tech will have to come out and install these new VMS and IPC boxes bc they are a new different technology, respectively, then the current boxes that I just added and swapped boxes myself with relatively easy labor. Or do you think it will be just as easy as swapping current STBs and HMDVRs with these new ones?

One more thng. I assume that the prices will not change for these new boxes over the current STB price (ex: 20 bucks for HMDVR= same price for Media Server. Current HDSTB at 5.99 = same price for new IPC small STBs. ) Can I believe this to be true of the pricing ?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thank You.

Sixto
Premium
Northeast
reply to Timothy28

True, but I prefer separate DVRs for different family members, such as his and her's DVR. Two or more DVRs with 4 or greater tuners is a requirement (for me), to also separate the Playlists and storage requirements.

nascar

Verona, NJ
reply to Webcobbler

no existing box will work and a tech most certainly has to come out. no pricing announced yet.

said by Webcobbler :

That would really suck. I hope current customers can get them when they arrive, and not just for new customers. I might have to cancel FiOS, and reup then , if it comes to that.

But anyway, does anyone know IF the DCT700 Digital Adapters that FiOS customers have, like me who have 3, will be compatible with the new VMS1100 Media Server and IPC1100 IP STBs? Since they do not have a guide etc, (to me they should be compatible, and I know regular STBS are not, and would have to be swapped out.)

Also, do you think a tech will have to come out and install these new VMS and IPC boxes bc they are a new different technology, respectively, then the current boxes that I just added and swapped boxes myself with relatively easy labor. Or do you think it will be just as easy as swapping current STBs and HMDVRs with these new ones?

One more thng. I assume that the prices will not change for these new boxes over the current STB price (ex: 20 bucks for HMDVR= same price for Media Server. Current HDSTB at 5.99 = same price for new IPC small STBs. ) Can I believe this to be true of the pricing ?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thank You.

Timothy28

Lewisville, TX
reply to Sixto

Seems a bit much to me to need your own separate dvr's but whatever suits you.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:29
reply to Webcobbler

said by Webcobbler :

does anyone know IF the DCT700 Digital Adapters that FiOS customers have will be compatible

Compatible in which sense?
•If you mean, will they continue to receive QAM channels from then ONT, then I would see no reason why they would not continue to operate.
•If you mean, would they interoperate with the VMS, then no. The DCT-700s have no IP capability.
said by Webcobbler :

One more thing. I assume that the prices will not change for these new boxes

I certainly wouldn't make that assumption. I can see this going for a significant premium, but we won't know for sure until VZ announces pricing.

As convenient as this may sound, I don't know that I'd be willing to downgrade from 2.5TB to just 1TB. 6 tuners will fill 1TB very quickly. Let the whining for an external drive begin.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Timothy28

Lewisville, TX
reply to Webcobbler

I'm sure current customers will be able to get it. I can't remember an instance when a new product verizon fios has had that could only be had for new customers.