Germantown, MD
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to navyson

Re: Fios Media Server

said by navyson:

said by crgauth:

said by navyson:

Directv's VOD requires an internet connection. Its kinda like Netflix.

How much additional per month are you willing to pay to get the new media server?

Hard to say at this point until all the features are known. But would be ok with paying what I am paying today (others were wondering if price should drop).

Why would the prices drop? Verizon never drops prices.They have said repeatedly that they won't compete on price since it considers itself as offering a premium product.

I would be shocked if Verizon offers all these new features for the same price as the current DVR.

There will be a cost involved for the new hardware upgrade. I can confirm that. What the cost will be, I can't confirm. I was a Verizon guest at the CES 2013, and was told that a cost could be confirmed. For example, when the new 7232 came out, there was a cost for that upgrade. No one knows what the cost will be for the VMS1100 and the IPC1100. But there will be one. The new server has much more capacity, and many more features than the existing hardware, and seeing it at the show, I could not expect it to be a free upgrade. It is very fast and as documented in many press releases, runs HTML5. I can insure you, that you will not see any delays in menu or channel changes with this server. It has power!

»forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-at···p/533949

JackBauer

join:2006-08-24
Schenectady, NY

said by prisaz:

There will be a cost involved for the new hardware upgrade. I can confirm that. What the cost will be, I can't confirm. I was a Verizon guest at the CES 2013, and was told that a cost could be confirmed. For example, when the new 7232 came out, there was a cost for that upgrade. No one knows what the cost will be for the VMS1100 and the IPC1100. But there will be one.

As someone who has not yet subscribed - and is waiting for this product, I will not pay more than $20 / month for the main unit. (Unless the child boxes are less than the HD STB's are today and together 1+1 = less than current fees)

The 7232's are now two years old. Technology advances, and I do not feel the new features are 5 years ahead of the 7232's.

bsangs

join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to navyson

said by navyson:

Great if you consider On Demand offerings important. I rarely ever watch anything on demand. I DVR 99% of my viewing.

As do I, but that doesn't change the fact it's one of the big differences between the two providers.

catchup

@verizon.net
reply to Reyr

When they first announced these new devices 1TB may have looked good compared to the 500GB that was/is available on their newest current DVR, but as time drags to when these will actually become available, 1TB seems quaint (notwithstanding that you can add external storage).

The ability to record six simultaneous shows to, what is today, a rather meager HD space seems incongruent when 4TB HD's are available for not much more.

crgauth

join:2004-05-18
Glen Burnie, MD
kudos:1
reply to prisaz

said by prisaz:

There will be a cost involved for the new hardware upgrade. I can confirm that. What the cost will be, I can't confirm. I was a Verizon guest at the CES 2013, and was told that a cost could be confirmed. For example, when the new 7232 came out, there was a cost for that upgrade.

I think part of what people are asking is will there be a one time cost (like there was for the upgrade to the 7232) or an increase in the monthly cost?
I would be willing to pay something (on the same order as the 7232 upgrade) to get the newer devices, but not sure that I would pay too much more per month as that adds up over time).

prisaz

join:2008-08-11
Germantown, MD
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by crgauth:

said by prisaz:

There will be a cost involved for the new hardware upgrade. I can confirm that. What the cost will be, I can't confirm. I was a Verizon guest at the CES 2013, and was told that a cost could be confirmed. For example, when the new 7232 came out, there was a cost for that upgrade.

I think part of what people are asking is will there be a one time cost (like there was for the upgrade to the 7232) or an increase in the monthly cost?
I would be willing to pay something (on the same order as the 7232 upgrade) to get the newer devices, but not sure that I would pay too much more per month as that adds up over time).

I will repeat~! Yes there will be a cost for the Upgrade, we just don't know the cost. As for the monthly costs for the remote boxes, and the monthly cost for the server, your guess is as good as mine in regards to all of those items. I do not expect Verizon to release any pricing information, until it is time for the product to hit the market. We all just need to wait and see.

There is no more information I have, and I do not believe you will find out by continuing to ask anyone. I can say that from being as close to the source as possible.

Best Regards to all. My final post on the subject.

kennye

join:2009-02-05
Carrollton, TX

I will be interested in the overall price and capability. Will be interested how the terminal server and remote boxes compare to my current configuration and if additional functionality will be available. Only an announcement will tell.

JSM88

join:2000-12-20
Falls Church, VA
reply to Reyr

dead thread - when in gods name are these coming out?

HenryFarpolo
Premium
join:2003-08-31
Andover, MA

The third quarter of this year is the best estimate at this time.

Keep in mind however, that rapid deployment is not a Verizon strong suit.

JSM88

join:2000-12-20
Falls Church, VA

While I've been through this for years with them - a YEAR is one hell of a hardware delay - in any other company the executive in charge would be looking for another job. Anyone willing to voice an opinion on the pros and cons of the similar Directv system - maybe I'll just keep fios internet.

navyson

join:2011-07-15
Upper Marlboro, MD
reply to Reyr

I don't mind paying a one time fee( such as the $40 I paid for my 7232). However, I am not willing to pay a higher monthly fee than I do now. $20 a month for a DVR is the most I am willing to pay and I pay that now.

celticpride

@verizon.net

If they expect me to pay $20.00 a month just for the DVR, there is no way i will ever get one until they at least add HBO and STARZ to the ultimate package for the same price spoiled new yorkers pay for!

HenryFarpolo
Premium
Andover, MA
reply to kennye

said by kennye:

I will be interested in the overall price and capability. Will be interested how the terminal server and remote boxes compare to my current configuration and if additional functionality will be available. Only an announcement will tell.

I agree with your comment. We have many different configurations to accommodate recording requirements and additional TV's. Details on functionality, cost and deployment schedule are minor missing ingredients.

navyson

join:2011-07-15
Upper Marlboro, MD

said by HenryFarpolo:

said by kennye:

I agree with your comment. We have many different configurations to accommodate recording requirements and additional TV's. Details on functionality, cost and deployment schedule are minor missing ingredients.

Minor? I definitely won't be getting it if I have pay anything more than the $20 I pay now for the DVR. Currently, I pay a total of $40 (DVR plus 2 HD boxes).

HenryFarpolo
Premium
Andover, MA

said by navyson:

said by HenryFarpolo:

said by kennye:

Minor? I definitely won't be getting it if I have pay anything more than the $20 I pay now for the DVR. Currently, I pay a total of $40 (DVR plus 2 HD boxes).

Functionality, cost and deployment details are not in any sense minor hence the next to the word minor.

Reyr

join:2009-01-03
Wilmington, DE
reply to Reyr

Wasn't this originally supposed to come out Q4 of last year? now Q3 of this year?

JackBauer

join:2006-08-24
Schenectady, NY

Yep and we're now halfway through Q2.

I joked before that by the time they get their next generation system out there, competitors Dish & DirecTV will have their +1 generation released.

While it is silly for them to be so incredibly late while their competitors are releasing products, in general VZ deploys "well". They do go through a lot of validation to ensure they don't have hundreds of thousands of boxes out there that in the end have serious problems.

So I wait, semi-patiently to order FIOS, someday.

prisaz

join:2008-08-11
Germantown, MD
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Yea!
I was playing with the server a little at the CES 2013, but it was limited due to the mock up for the VHO, and only a few channels available at the convention center, along with the smoke and mirrors to make things work behind the curtains, and I expected it to be out much "soon"er. My hopes were to be part of the beta right after the show. But as usual I am not in the right location. As to what or when beta will start, and or the product release date, everyone's guess is as good as mine right now. I was very happy to be part of the CES 2013 show, but my hopes of being part of the VMS-1100 and IPC-1100 launch were as usual quickly squashed.

I do not pay for VOD, and only use two cable cards. Much cheaper! With my two Ceton tuners installed in my Media Center Server, with as much storage as I wish to install. I have eight tuners, and whatever extenders I wish to use. Besides my server I have at the main TV, I have 2 Windows 7 PCs with one tuner each dedicated to them, two Ceton Echo extenders, along with an X-box that share from the remaining pool of six tuners. I am perfectly happy with all of this on my gigabit network with a TP-Link TL-GS3216 managed switch. No bottleneck or switch saturation on my network. All connected to GPON 150/65 that can stream whatever I WANT.

I was all keen on promoting the new hardware, but decided right after the show, I was not going to wait for something "soon", since I could again, not be included in the beta!

nascar

join:2000-02-28
Verona, NJ
kudos:2
reply to Reyr

»www.zatznotfunny.com/2013-05/ver···-launch/

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

1 recommendation

reply to prisaz

said by prisaz:

Yea!
...I do not pay for VOD, and only use two cable cards...

Actually, I think we all do -- it's part of any subscription and available unless you choose not to use it.

OwlSaver
OwlSaver
Premium
join:2005-01-30
Berwyn, PA
reply to nascar

The current MR-DVR only allows 2 HD shows to be streamed across MOCA. I wonder how this new system will be able to stream six HD shows.

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

said by OwlSaver:

The current MR-DVR only allows 2 HD shows to be streamed across MOCA. I wonder how this new system will be able to stream six HD shows.

Maybe use HTML5?

blue_trooper

join:2007-04-17
Exton, PA
reply to OwlSaver

said by OwlSaver:

The link references "watching 6 shows" not streaming. I believe this is referencing the server's 6 QAM tuners. With my two DVR's and one HD box I can almost do this today (and I'm sure there are plenty of folks out there with enough hardware to do that and more), albeit with multiple boxes.

I wouldn't aniticipate this technology providing any change to the current VOD limitations.

webcobbler

join:2013-03-09
Rumson, NJ
reply to nascar

Thanks for the link, nascar

That is good news. Plus it is a recent article, compared to one a couple months old.

I appreciate it.

webcobbler

Rumson, NJ
reply to PJL

HTML 5 would be sweet ! To me, that should be a standard, lol.

Plus, Possibly have Cloud features as well?

OwlSaver
OwlSaver
Premium
join:2005-01-30
Berwyn, PA
reply to blue_trooper

So, the server has six QAM tuners. Lets say I have one TV attached to teh Server and five other TVs with the remote boxes. Do the remote boxes have QAM tuners? My guess is no. If they did, I would not be able to pause live TV. This is based on a guess that the remote boxes do not have HDD or large memory - in order to keep the cost down. So, based on this, the remote boxes will only be able to watch live TV or view recorded TV by streaming it from the server.

Does MPEG4 let them go from 2 streams to 6? Will it require an ethernet connection for some boxes? It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:16

IPTV between the VMS and IP clients...

nascar

join:2000-02-28
Verona, NJ
reply to Reyr

HTML 5 yes

webcobbler

Rumson, NJ

That is good news that is will be HTML5,

Thanks nascar.

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ
reply to OwlSaver

said by OwlSaver:

Does MPEG4 let them go from 2 streams to 6? Will it require an ethernet connection for some boxes? It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

MOCA 1.0 can provide upto 90mb/s so the clients will not require ethernet. Typical mpeg4 streams on FIOS use less then 10mb/s.