Search similar:

uniqs

marhil0
join:2008-10-21
Exton, PA

marhil0 to Reyr

to Reyr

Re: Fios Media Server

What happens to the old DCT-700 boxes when Verizon goes full IPTV ? I'm assuming the DCT-700 will no longer work.

HenryFarpolo
Premium Member
join:2003-08-31
Andover, MA

HenryFarpolo

Premium Member

Don't know about the dct-700's future, but there will be a small form box associated with the media server which for me will render the dct-700 obsolete.

A small form HD box with all of the function of the larger boxes is a real plus. The dct-700 has too many limitations. The unknown and potential deal-breaker in all of this is price.

marhil0
Exton, PA

marhil0

said by HenryFarpolo:

Don't know about the dct-700's future, but there will be a small form box associated with the media server which for me will render the dct-700 obsolete.

A small form HD box with all of the function of the larger boxes is a real plus. The dct-700 has too many limitations. The unknown and potential deal-breaker in all of this is price.

I'm concerned about the price of the boxes. I currently have (3) free DCT-700 which I got during the digital conversion.
Worried that I might have to pay $10 or so for each DCT-700
replacement.
navyson
join:2011-07-15
Upper Marlboro, MD

navyson to Reyr

to Reyr
I expect the media server DVR to cost more than the regular HD DVR now which is $20 a month

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

bohratom to Reyr

to Reyr
We should get a poll going on what people think will be the monthly price for the server.

Im going with $25/mo to equal the Directv Genie monthly price. The clients will be the same price as we pay now for non-dvr stb's depending on the market.
OwlSaver
OwlSaver
Premium Member
join:2005-01-30
Berwyn, PA

OwlSaver to marhil0

Premium Member

to marhil0
said by marhil0:

said by HenryFarpolo:

I'm concerned about the price of the boxes. I currently have (3) free DCT-700 which I got during the digital conversion.
replacement.

You only have to pay if you want the Media Server and the new functionality it has. If you are happy with what you have, there is currently no need to change. I would even think that you can have the Media Server and some of its boxes along with your DCT-700s. Just on different TVs or through a switch. I think once everything goes MPEG4 you will be out of luck. But that is probably many years in the future.
bsangs
join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ

bsangs to nascar

to nascar
Tried to get in on the beta for this, but they're only looking for beta testers in TX and PA. So heads up if you live in those areas.

HenryFarpolo
Premium Member
Andover, MA

HenryFarpolo to OwlSaver

Premium Member

to OwlSaver
said by OwlSaver:

said by marhil0:

said by HenryFarpolo:

replacement.

You only have to pay if you want the Media Server and the new functionality it has. If you are happy with what you have, there is currently no need to change. I would even think that you can have the Media Server and some of its boxes along with your DCT-700s. Just on different TVs or through a switch. I think once everything goes MPEG4 you will be out of luck. But that is probably many years in the future.

I was referring to the price of the small box. I know we will have to pay for the server along with any boxes we choose to have.

I currently have a TIVO MINI which is a small form HD box similar to the box that comes with the server. My hope is to see competitive pricing from Verizon. For the MINI the monthly rate if you choose to pay monthly is $5.99 plus the price of the box at $99.
webcobbler
join:2013-03-09
Rumson, NJ

webcobbler to bsangs

to bsangs
bsangs,

Where did you go try to get in on the Beta for the VMS? And how do you know there are only looking for people in TX and PA?

I am signed up for the VZ products trial , and it does not say that there are Any running at this time in the Red Bar. Nor, are there any new posts on another site I am registered for.

HenryFarpolo
Premium Member
Andover, MA

HenryFarpolo

Premium Member

said by webcobbler:

bsangs,

Where did you go try to get in on the Beta for the VMS? And how do you know there are only looking for people in TX and PA?

I am signed up for the VZ products trial , and it does not say that there are Any running at this time in the Red Bar. Nor, are there any new posts on another site I am registered for.

The Verizon Products trial process has been in limbo for some time. It was a good idea with no follow through.
bsangs
join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ

bsangs to webcobbler

to webcobbler
said by webcobbler:

bsangs,

Beta tested 1.9 before it came out, so I just reached out to a contact from that period. Was told only looking for specific areas of TX and PA to beta test the server.
webcobbler
join:2013-03-09
Rumson, NJ

webcobbler

I too was a part of that 1.9 BETA group.
Timothy28
join:2006-05-13
Lewisville, TX

Timothy28 to Reyr

to Reyr
Would love to be part of the beta for this if i had any idea how.
lcrowe
join:2001-04-14
Wylie, TX

lcrowe to Reyr

to Reyr
I would be interested in beta testing as well.
HUBadubBUB
join:2009-11-19

HUBadubBUB to nycdave

to nycdave
Is this deployment dependent upon all the VHO's on an individual basis having the NE2K's up and running for 2nd CAS and also the migration to SPTS's? I realize the VMS servers in the VHO's will do the indiviual client authorization validation.

thatdood
join:2002-07-03
Plano, TX

thatdood to Reyr

to Reyr
I've been holding out for this but I'm not sure I see much cost savings on my end since Verizon will charge for each device streaming from the media server. All it does is create more profit for them since I'm buying the streaming device now and they still charge me.

I'm getting ready to order 2 of the new Ceton 6 tuner Ethernet Cable Card tuners and use PC's, Echo extenders, and eventually the new XBOX's to stream and record live TV. I could care less about VOD from Verizon which wont work with the cable card tuner
JackBauer
join:2006-08-24
Schenectady, NY

JackBauer

said by thatdood:

I've been holding out for this but I'm not sure I see much cost savings on my end since Verizon will charge for each device streaming from the media server. All it does is create more profit for them since I'm buying the streaming device now and they still charge me.

I tend to doubt they are going to charge you to stream to your iPad, if that is what you are referring to above. (Or the other devices you may BUY to stream to.)
Timothy28
join:2006-05-13
Lewisville, TX

Timothy28

said by JackBauer:

said by thatdood:

I tend to doubt they are going to charge you to stream to your iPad, if that is what you are referring to above. (Or the other devices you may BUY to stream to.)

If they do that it would be rather ridiculous.

marhil0
Exton, PA

marhil0 to Reyr

to Reyr
Anybody hear any news about the Media Server rollout ? The new fall TV season is less than 2 months away. Was hoping VZ would start rolling out the new box in time for the new TV season. Would be nice to have the extra tuners for the new TV season. Guess VZ is going to let us down again. NYC Dave, do you have any inside info on the new media server ? Be nice to get some kind of status from VZ.
tongyang
join:2003-07-18
Alexandria, VA

tongyang

Count me in as someone interested too. Unfortunately I do think we'll be disappointed once again...

HenryFarpolo
Premium Member
Andover, MA

HenryFarpolo

Premium Member

Third quarter roll-out was the rumor, but I wouldn't bet the ranch on it.
tnsprin
join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL

tnsprin to marhil0

to marhil0
Nothing about the FIOS Media Server implies that Verizon is still thinking about full IPTV. Its ip traffic within your infrastructure between the server and your other boxes.
JPL
Premium Member
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA

JPL

Premium Member

That makes no sense. The two are not mutually exclusive. They could go full IP AND implement a media server. How they get the signal to your house (whether QAM or IP) doesn't impact the implementation of a media server once inside the home. While it would affect the implementation of the media server, you can have the media server whether the incoming signal is QAM, IP, or hell smoke signals (ok, not that last one, but you get the point).
tennisman94
join:2010-02-18
Palm Harbor, FL

tennisman94 to Reyr

to Reyr
The wildcard with all of this is if the new FCC will come up with any sort of required standards support for these media servers, either clients or the servers themselves. Looking back at the initial AllVid proposal, I see several similarities but also many differences, and that goes across the board (VZ MS, Hopper, and Genie).
navyson
join:2011-07-15
Upper Marlboro, MD

navyson to Reyr

to Reyr
Cablevision's new DVR now has 10 tuners so that you can record 10 programs at once.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by navyson:

Cablevision's new DVR now has 10 tuners so that you can record 10 programs at once.

not the same as a true media gateway the cablevision DVRs now are using cloud based storage and can record an unlimited amount of streams at once if Cablevision allowed it. The Cablevision Samsung HD boxes use either VOD or DOCSIS to get the DVR programs to the box.
JackBauer
join:2006-08-24
Schenectady, NY

JackBauer to Reyr

to Reyr

I cannot wait until this is available, every time I turn around TW is raising rates. They instituted a cable modem rental fee last year, and now they are raising it.

I am so looking forward to returning my equipment. But not doing it until VZ has brought their equipment up to the year 2010

Seriously for the amount of time this is taking them - overdue by what a year? They could have moved to IPTV. Maybe that's part of the delay... Not that they will be moving their plant to IPTV, but perhaps they are starting partially... Experimenting with some channels that are available both over RF and IPTV. To gain expertise and in parallel deploy HW that can support a full IPTV infrastructure in 4+ years.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by JackBauer:

I cannot wait until this is available, every time I turn around TW is raising rates. They instituted a cable modem rental fee last year, and now they are raising it.

I am so looking forward to returning my equipment. But not doing it until VZ has brought their equipment up to the year 2010

Seriously for the amount of time this is taking them - overdue by what a year? They could have moved to IPTV. Maybe that's part of the delay... Not that they will be moving their plant to IPTV, but perhaps they are starting partially... Experimenting with some channels that are available both over RF and IPTV. To gain expertise and in parallel deploy HW that can support a full IPTV infrastructure in 4+ years.

there likely isn't any IP voodoo going on in the testing probably bugs with the way the boxes work Time Warner Cable is having the same issues with the DCX3600 gateway it has taken about the same time as the media gateway and is almost the equivalent of the media gateway. No so they are not testing pure IPTV probably just having to fix the bugs for the usage of the 6 tuners and how multiple boxes box share tuners in the gateway.

marhil0
Exton, PA

marhil0 to Reyr

to Reyr
Anybody hear any news on a deployment date for the new media server STB ? Was supposed to be released in the fall of 2013. I have not seen any news on a release date.
I was hoping the new media server would be deployed in time for the new fall tv season. The 6 tuner STB would be nice for recording new shows. Last news I read was beta testing was being done in Pa. and Texas. Come on Verizon give some news on the new STB. I having my doubts now that this will be deployed anytime in 2013.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo

MVM

As with ALL estimates from VZ, add about 12-24 months for something more realistic.