MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave to Webcobbler

MVM

to Webcobbler
said by Webcobbler :

nycdave,

How do you know that Only Rev. I is needed for the Media Server to work?

Will Rev. F not because it does not have Duel Antennas? and Duel Bands?

Too technical to answer here. Let's just say the only router that will work is the Rev. I to keep it simple....
DGGSLF
join:2007-04-14
Lynn, MA

DGGSLF to nycdave

to nycdave
Thanks for the feedback nycdave.

So if a customer like me wants/orders VMS and has the older Rev F router, will my self install package include a REV I router or how will that all work?

This latest REV I requirement tends to support the earlier speculation that only new subscribers will be supported initially.

Greg2600
join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ

Greg2600 to Reyr

to Reyr
VMS requires you to change out all your boxes, so why not change out the router too!

Webcobbler
@verizon.net

Webcobbler to nycdave

Anon

to nycdave
I am confused. I cannot find Rev I router online anywhere. Is Rev I the same router as GigE? As in M1424WR ( Gig E ) ? If so, I know that router def has Duel Antenas and Duel GhZ Bands, and I know It supports 1gig wired and 300 Mbps wireless.

If it is not, I think I'm more confused, lol.

Thanks.
waiting4fios
join:2005-04-08
Howell, NJ

waiting4fios to Reyr

to Reyr
I think the Rev I router might be needed for support of the MoCA 2.0 standard. Also it might be the only router capable of handling unicasting vs multicasting.
OwlSaver
OwlSaver
Premium Member
join:2005-01-30
Berwyn, PA

OwlSaver

Premium Member

Is the Rev I the only one that has an option for IPv6? If so, it could be that it uses IPv6 within the house.

nascar
join:2000-02-28
Verona, NJ

nascar

rev. I was upgraded by Firmware to support IPv6.
said by OwlSaver:

Is the Rev I the only one that has an option for IPv6? If so, it could be that it uses IPv6 within the house.

Timothy28
join:2006-05-13
Lewisville, TX

Timothy28 to Reyr

to Reyr
I already have Revision I, so i guess i won't have to worry about needing a new router to upgrade to the VMS.

Webcobbler
@verizon.net

Webcobbler

Anon

Is the Rev I the same as the GigE router ?

I have Rev F, myself.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to DGGSLF

MVM

to DGGSLF
said by DGGSLF:

So if a customer like me wants/orders VMS and has the older Rev F router, will my self install package include a REV I router

Who said anything about self-install?
I would not expect that initially.
said by DGGSLF:

This latest REV I requirement tends to support the earlier speculation that only new subscribers will be supported initially.

Not necessarily. It's been VZ's policy that if you order a package that requires a router upgrade, they will provide a router that meets the requirements of that upgrade.
More Fiber

More Fiber to Webcobbler

MVM

to Webcobbler
said by Webcobbler :

Is Rev I the same router as GigE? As in M1424WR ( Gig E ) ?

Both the rev. G and rev. I have GigE ports. The rev. G is now discontinued, so essentially, yes, when someone says GigE, they're referring to the rev. I.
said by Webcobbler :

I know that router def has Duel Antenas and Duel GhZ Bands, and I know It supports 1gig wired and 300 Mbps wireless.

Not accurate. The rev. I is NOT currently dual band. It is 2.4Ghz only. It is also currently only 130Mbps.

Rumor has it there may be a firmware upgrade coming that will upgrade the wireless.
More Fiber

More Fiber to waiting4fios

MVM

to waiting4fios
said by waiting4fios:

I think the Rev I router might be needed for support of the MoCA 2.0 standard.

The rev. I is MoCA 1.1. It is not MoCA 2.0 That requires new chips and can not be upgraded with a firmware update.

Zero5
join:2009-07-01
Collegeville, PA

Zero5 to nycdave

to nycdave
said by nycdave:

said by Webcobbler :

nycdave,

How do you know that Only Rev. I is needed for the Media Server to work?

Will Rev. F not because it does not have Duel Antennas? and Duel Bands?

Too technical to answer here. Let's just say the only router that will work is the Rev. I to keep it simple....

The real question though is does that Rev. I need to be the primary router or can it still function as a NIM to accomplish its tasks? If it's a requirement for the Rev. I to be the primary router then there's no more being able to use a 3rd party router with a VMS in your home.

Webcobbler
@verizon.net

Webcobbler to More Fiber

Anon

to More Fiber
More Fiber,

Thank You for your response and explanation.

When I first heard of the G router, or Gig E wireless N Router, I thought one could only get it with the 150/65 internet speed because it is a Gigabit Router. I guess it is the same now for the new VMS Server. One needs the GigE Router (Rev. I) in order to run everything properly because it is more powerful or what not (I do not know the details why that is so).

Also, Rev. F routers need to be replaced. I assume if that is the case, then my ONT would need to be replaced because is it a BPON, and only goes to 100mbps. I need a GPON to get the Gigabit speeds.

I assume now that router has been discontinued for the new Rev. I Gigabit (Gig E) router? Just like newer routesr have come and gone (ex. Rev C, now its F etc.)
DGGSLF
Lynn, MA

DGGSLF to More Fiber

to More Fiber
Looking at the pictures that were posted, I don't see anything new that would warrant a truck roll. You plug the cables in and it's done. If you need a new router, you unplug the one that is there and plug the new one in.

Verizon may prove me wrong but like all businesses, they are looking for the cheapest route which would be self install.

The process should be the same as it is today.
danman48
join:2007-10-11
Huntington Beach, CA

danman48 to Reyr

to Reyr
Hi Party People,
Dave Zatz has most of it covered in his article, but I talked to the VZ guy for about 30 minutes and here are my notes:

You'll be able to put 2 VMS's in the home for a total of 10 (12 if you count the VMS boxes).
You'll not need a ONT upgrade to go past 7 TVS
You'll get 5 TV per VMS
NINJA EDIT: You'll need a Rev I router.
Each client (IPC1100) will be chained to a VMS box so each acted like it's own DVR.
The software they were running is likely to be 1.9.5, it cleans up some stuff and the widgets look better
All devices will be able to access recordings from each VMS and the VMSs will be able to see recordings from each other.
The client boxes are small, they run on 12V so you'll have a standard power brick, but it helps in mounting them behind TVs.
They both have IR extender ports so hiding the boxes will be cool.
Use the same remotes as exisiting.
The back of the VMS looks like the regular boxes.
The processor in the VMS is much faster
I asked about MPEG4 roll out in the context of dropping the QIP2500 and 6000s series boxes and they're just going to do it organically as they're doing now. If you want new content that is MPEG4 you'll have to "get" a new box. No word on when that was going to happen.

The point was brought up about if you're watching 4 TVs can you only record 2 other shows. I'll ask about that a little more tomorrow.
But most people have more TVs than people in their house so either you're REALLY anti social or this isn't going to be the solution for you.

Also I'll confirm but I'm pretty sure you either have the VMS or the current system but they won't work in tandem.

As long as it doesn't suck and won't be buggy (soo...it'll likely suck and be buggy for a while) it'll be an interesting step.

I asked about using iPad to stream recorded content and that's in the pipleine, so I figure probably a year.

They also had a demo of RedBox Instant by verizon. No discount for verizon FIOS and no intergration. Verizon is just pay for it basically. It'll be $8/month unlimited streaming and 4 free real DVDs from a red box machine a month. You'll be able to go offline only on tablet and mobile for flights, computer you'll still need to stream. And they will have a pretty good selection of movies. They'll also be on Samung TVs and I think LG...I asked about a native FIOS app...NOPE. haha...

Msg me questions..I'll check back tomorrow morning before the show and see if I can get some answers for you.

my feet hurt...time for a drink

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2

Premium Member

Good info, thx

Sixto
Premium Member
join:2005-09-16
Northeast

Sixto to danman48

Premium Member

to danman48
Great post. Much better answers.

Biggest remaining curiosity is if the client tuners will be utilized, basically the question of when 4 remote TV's are on will the VMS1100 only record 2 shows.

Allowing multiple VMS' and enabling each client and server to see all content from either server is perfect.

I'm currently a huge fan of the DirecTV H25/HR34 solution, but this VMS solution will make it an interesting comparison.

I have 7 TV's. His and Her's VMS1100's, with 5 clients, where the clients can operate independently (own tuner) thus allowing 12 active recordings would be awesome.

One last question, if the client needs to always steal a VMS tuner, when the client is off will it release the tuner?
tennisman94
join:2010-02-18
Palm Harbor, FL

tennisman94 to Reyr

to Reyr
Thanks for doing this danman,

Two questions:
1. Does the VMS IPC use RVU, or some other proprietary protocol?
2. In the same vein, will other clients like Blu-Ray players and game consoles (PS3 or XBOX 360) that are RVU enabled be able to act as clients out of the box, or will they require separate apps, and is there a timetable for 3rd party clients (beyond when the FCC mandates it)
Timothy28
join:2006-05-13
Lewisville, TX

Timothy28 to Reyr

to Reyr
I'd really like to ETA date and pricing but i doubt they'll give any of that away yet.

Webcobbler
@verizon.net

Webcobbler to danman48

Anon

to danman48
The big question for me is: Why does one need the Rev I / GigE router in order for this new Media Server and client boxes to work together? That is my biggest question of the night.

Is it because it'll stream the content to the boxes at over 100mbps?

I think they said that this will start rolling out Def this year, but I believe that we will see it probly in the fall.

Also, I guess that to enable iPad streaming, it will just be a software or firmware update? Whenever that will be. And I would imagine that we can then stream ALL channels we subscribe to, as well ad view DVR content ?

Thanks.
Webcobbler

Webcobbler to danman48

Anon

to danman48
I also have another question:

I thought that these boxes were going to be hooked up via Ethernet and WiFi? For example, the Media Server would be connected to the router by Ethernet, and the client boxes would connect via WiFi or Ethernet, so one could Velcro thm to your TV.

They even had a video last year about this. I have it bookmarked. It showed a 3D channel being streamed wirelessly to a client box attached to a tv being rolled down a hallway. Does anyone remember this?

So, in addition , ask them if this is the correct setup , or will it have to be coax? Even though they said the former. Or if there will be a software/firmware update to enable that.

Thanks.
kes601
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

said by Webcobbler :

I thought that these boxes were going to be hooked up via Ethernet and WiFi? For example, the Media Server would be connected to the router by Ethernet, and the client boxes would connect via WiFi or Ethernet, so one could Velcro thm to your TV.

They even had a video last year about this. I have it bookmarked. It showed a 3D channel being streamed wirelessly to a client box attached to a tv being rolled down a hallway. Does anyone remember this?

So, in addition , ask them if this is the correct setup , or will it have to be coax? Even though they said the former. Or if there will be a software/firmware update to enable that.

Thanks.

Read back through the thread, nycdave See Profile offers some nice insight on your questions.
JackBauer
join:2006-08-24
Schenectady, NY

JackBauer to Reyr

to Reyr
Dan...

Find out why the boxes are so ugly. It's like MOT put all their effort into the engineering of the electronics and and zero on aesthetics. Won't affect me at all, but really someone said it looked like something from the 70's.

I ignored it at first, but the more I look at those boring ugly boxes.... Just a little peculiar. (I obviously care more about availability then this)
buckweet1980
join:2011-12-31
Saint Petersburg, FL

buckweet1980 to Webcobbler

to Webcobbler
said by Webcobbler :

The big question for me is: Why does one need the Rev I / GigE router in order for this new Media Server and client boxes to work together? That is my biggest question of the night.

Is it because it'll stream the content to the boxes at over 100mbps?

I think they said that this will start rolling out Def this year, but I believe that we will see it probly in the fall.

Also, I guess that to enable iPad streaming, it will just be a software or firmware update? Whenever that will be. And I would imagine that we can then stream ALL channels we subscribe to, as well ad view DVR content ?

Thanks.

Maybe this device requires IPv6?? Could it be this is what will help bring it? One can only hope..
JPL
Premium Member
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA

JPL to Webcobbler

Premium Member

to Webcobbler
said by Webcobbler :

Thanks.

I think I know which video you're talking about, and even in that video Verizon was pretty clear about this - initially the hookups will be wired. When it first comes out, you'll need a coax connection to the satellite boxes. But eventually (not sure when) they'll allow for wireless connectivity. They've always said that the initial configuration will be wired.

Greg2600
join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ

Greg2600 to Reyr

to Reyr
As long as its coax, I'd prefer to remain that way, rather than go to wireless. Simply a more dependable connection.

nascar
join:2000-02-28
Verona, NJ

nascar to Reyr

to Reyr
2 Motorola Medios+ VMS1100 in the home, 12 tuners, 1 TB expandable each, and sharing content. Now we're talking. As long as pricing is in line with current offerings of course.
JPL
Premium Member
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA

JPL to Greg2600

Premium Member

to Greg2600
said by Greg2600:

As long as its coax, I'd prefer to remain that way, rather than go to wireless. Simply a more dependable connection.

What I got from the video, and other information I've seen, wireless will be an option. Not mandatory. I echo concerns with wireless providing dependable connections, but if that video is any indication, the demonstration that the Verizon tech did was impressive (moving a TV with a wirelessly connected box, something like 200' from the source, through concrete and steel, and the picture was still pristine). I'd love to have the option for a wireless connection at the very least.