Search similar:

uniqs
tennisman94
join:2010-02-18
Palm Harbor, FL

tennisman94 to Reyr

to Reyr

Re: Fios Media Server

It probably needs a REV I because MoCA 1.1 raises the client limit.

Webcobbler
@verizon.net

Webcobbler to JPL

Anon

to JPL
I would love the option for Ethernet. Perticuarly, in my House, it is extremely easier to run Ethernet Cables than adding another coax cable somewhere. So viewing tv via The Mexia Server and client boxes hooked up to Ethernet would be ideal, bc I could put TVs where I want more easily.
Timothy28
join:2006-05-13
Lewisville, TX

Timothy28 to Reyr

to Reyr
At my previous residence i had U-verse and had their wireless STB's. They worked perfectly. So i see no reason why verizon can't make theirs wireless somewhere down the line.

Webcobbler
@verizon.net

Webcobbler to Webcobbler

Anon

to Webcobbler
These are the 2 videos I was talking about earlier. They show and explain that the Media Server and client boxes are or will be hooked up via Ethernet directly, or WiFi. IMHO, it cuts the cord on Coax.

The question is then... Coax is the initial setup, then will a software/firmware update come to enable Ethernet and WiFI, as well as streaming all subscribed channels and DVR / freeVOD to the iPad etc?

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· youtu.be

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· youtu.be

I know I might have reiterated my questions or statements from earlier, and I apologize.

Thanks
Timothy28
join:2006-05-13
Lewisville, TX

Timothy28

I would assume those features will be down the line since we know its going to a staged rollout
danman48
join:2007-10-11
Huntington Beach, CA

danman48 to Reyr

to Reyr
Hey Again,

I didn't get back out to that side of the convention floor today sorry and I had to catch my flight home early.

According to the VZ dude...Rev I is for the second antenna, which I'm guessing means MIMO for the extra wireless bandwidth. I don't think they're going to run anything over ethernet. It'll either be wireless or Coax for MoCa.

(Side note: I did go over to the MoCa booth and the DLNA booth and talked with them for a while. It looks like Xbox is going to be a DLNA renderer now. Nothing but the regular stuff for MoCa).

I'll see if I can't get some more info out of the VZ guys on twitter or by email.

Good show. Back to the shadows.

Webcobbler
@verizon.net

Webcobbler

Anon

What exactly is DLNA renderer? Server? And controller? I never truly fully understood the difference. Etc.

And what does that mean in terms of the Xbox? is it bc of its FiOS steaming app that it has?

If so, Samsung TVs and iPads have the same streaming app. What about those becoming renderers or whatnot ?

Can someone shed some light in that.

Thank You.
UnnDunn
Premium Member
join:2005-12-21
Brooklyn, NY

UnnDunn

Premium Member

DLNA is a protocol for streaming media around your home from one device to another using standard IP.

There are two ways for this to happen:
1. A DLNA Client (a device that can play media) requests ("pulls") media from a DLNA Server (a device that has access to lots of media), or
2. A DLNA Controller (a device that has access to lots of media) sends ("pushes") media to a DLNA renderer (a device that can play media.)

In both cases, there is the storage device (where the media is stored) and the player device (where the media is played.) The key difference is which device initiates the streaming transaction.

Older DLNA devices only supported the first method, where a Client pulls from a Server. This was how it used to work on Xbox 360 and Windows XP--the 360 was the client, and Windows XP was the server.

Newer devices support the second method, where a Controller pushes to a Renderer. This is how it works now with Xbox 360 and Windows 7 or 8--360 is a Renderer and Windows 7/8 is the Controller; this is known as "Play To" in Windows Media Player.

The twist is that the DLNA Server doesn't have to be on your network. There are plans in the works for cable companies such as Verizon to establish DLNA Servers on their networks which any subscriber would be able to access using a DLNA Client (such as a standard 360 or PS3) in order to stream live TV. There would be no special app or device certification needed; the device would merely need to be a standard DLNA Client with support for a to-be-determined DRM overlay (so that you can only stream the channels you've paid for, naturally.)
DGGSLF
join:2007-04-14
Lynn, MA

1 edit

DGGSLF

So what's the word now that CES is over? Do we have an ETA for when trials will start?

Webcobbler
@verizon.net

Webcobbler to Webcobbler

Anon

to Webcobbler
Question:

If one is to get the Media Server, which requires a new upgrade to the GigE / rev. I router and a new GPON ONT... is that person then required to switch their internet to either the 150/65 or 300/65 speed? Given that the Media Server to me, requires a 150/65 connection. Or can they still have the internet speed that they currently have? (ex. I have 75/35)

Thanks
Webcobbler

Webcobbler to UnnDunn

Anon

to UnnDunn
Thanks for the explanation, UnnDunn.

I assume that this would work on iPads as well?

I would personally stream to my iPad, which would be free ass it is now, rather than pay 50 bucks for xbox live Gold, to do the same thing.
Webcobbler

Webcobbler

Anon

Does anyone know if the Media Server will have HEVC? I assume it will because it is ready to be ratified as an international standard this month.

So, better picture at 1/2 the Bandwidth to support future Ultra HD TVs and Tablets etc . It is a must have, IMHO
tennisman94
Palm Harbor, FL

tennisman94

said by Webcobbler :

Does anyone know if the Media Server will have HEVC? I assume it will because it is ready to be ratified as an international standard this month.

So, better picture at 1/2 the Bandwidth to support future Ultra HD TVs and Tablets etc . It is a must have, IMHO

Doubtful, production silicon was only announced at CES, and it's usually at least a year before it appears in any shipping products

Webcobbler
@verizon.net

Webcobbler

Anon

That's too bad. I would be willing to wait longer for them to have the HEVC codec in the Media Server.

frankpf3
Verizon Fios
join:2007-08-09
Huntington Station, NY

frankpf3 to Reyr

to Reyr
Is there any way to order this thing yet? Is there a waiting list?

PoloDude
Premium Member
join:2006-03-29
Aiken, SC

PoloDude

Premium Member

No.
navyson
join:2011-07-15
Upper Marlboro, MD

navyson to Reyr

to Reyr
Will there be any additional monthly charges in addition to the current $20 a month DVR charge for this new media server?
kes601
join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

PRicing hasn't been released, but you can rest assured the price will be well above $20.
tennisman94
Palm Harbor, FL

tennisman94

said by kes601:

PRicing hasn't been released, but you can rest assured the price will be well above $20.

Probably. They may even charge a higher fee monthly based on how may auxiliary boxes you have connected, even if you own them. (i.e. PS3 or Smart TV).
navyson
Upper Marlboro, MD

navyson to kes601

to kes601
said by kes601:

No thankyou Verizon. I am already paying $155(TV and Internet) for double play with(DVR with 2 HD boxes). I refuse to pay more.

1. Recording up to 6 programs at once isn't important to me. Current system of 2 live recordings is okay for me.

2. 1 TB of additional storage no longer important. I already have a 1 TB external drive connected to my DVR.

3. Availability of youtube. I already have youtube on both my Roku boxes
nfotiu
join:2009-01-25

nfotiu

Yeah, I agree there isn't a whole lot of value add in this.

Directv's Genie is pretty much the same thing, if not better, and their per tv price is far cheaper than Verizon already. If Fios is charging even more than they charge for their current setup, they are not going to be the least bit competitive. FIOS internet is good, but their TV is a half notch below directv already. I would think a setup like with with light weight clients could be offered at a lower total price than with their current tv, not at a higher price.

If they are not going to use the media server to reduce equipment charges, they are going to lose a lot of tv customers like myself.
navyson
Upper Marlboro, MD

navyson

said by nfotiu:

Yeah, I agree there isn't a whole lot of value add in this.

Directv's Genie is pretty much the same thing, if not better, and their per tv price is far cheaper than Verizon already. If Fios is charging even more than they charge for their current setup, they are not going to be the least bit competitive. FIOS internet is good, but their TV is a half notch below directv already. I would think a setup like with with light weight clients could be offered at a lower total price than with their current tv, not at a higher price.

If they are not going to use the media server to reduce equipment charges, they are going to lose a lot of tv customers like myself.

Verizon has already said that they do not plan to compete on price because they believe they have a "superior product".

They are trying to use the same rational they use with Verizon Wireless with Verizon FIOS. However, that's its not an equal comparison.

Even though both Verizon Wireless and Verizon FIOS regularly come out on top with consumer survey's, Verizon Wireless is clearly leaps and bounds above its competitors in coverage and service. Verizon FIOS though not so and many of its competitors have lots more HD, better DVR's, lower prices, etc.

I am not sure how much more than $20 month people will be willing to pay.

crgauth
join:2004-05-18
Glen Burnie, MD

crgauth to nfotiu

to nfotiu
I disagree.
One of the things I understand will be available will be the ability to control live TV from every box. Would love to be able to pause TV from every STB.
I know more people that have dropped satellite due to reception problems than have dropped cable for satellite.
When I looked, it was not much cheaper. And although they have a few more channels, not anything I really want.
Plus as I understand it, Directv doesn't have VOD like FIOS.
navyson
Upper Marlboro, MD

navyson

said by crgauth:

I disagree.
One of the things I understand will be available will be the ability to control live TV from every box. Would love to be able to pause TV from every STB.
I know more people that have dropped satellite due to reception problems than have dropped cable for satellite.
When I looked, it was not much cheaper. And although they have a few more channels, not anything I really want.
Plus as I understand it, Directv doesn't have VOD like FIOS.

Directv's VOD requires an internet connection. Its kinda like Netflix.

How much additional per month are you willing to pay to get the new media server?

Controlling live TV from every box? Not important to me. Most times I forget I have that feature since I DVR most of my shows.
JackBauer
join:2006-08-24
Schenectady, NY

JackBauer

I'm excited about this - but if they price it about $20, my excitement starts dropping.

Technology advances, and generally had has positive pricing benefits. If they look to make it a cash cow, I'll just say with TWC.
navyson
Upper Marlboro, MD

navyson

said by JackBauer:

I'm excited about this - but if they price it about $20, my excitement starts dropping.

Technology advances, and generally had has positive pricing benefits. If they look to make it a cash cow, I'll just say with TWC.

Don't hold your breadth. Verizon never gives you more for less.
bsangs
join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ

bsangs to navyson

to navyson
said by navyson:

said by crgauth:

There are several other differences as well - including the fact that FiOS has over 50,000 On Demand offerings, while Directv has about 10,000.
crgauth
join:2004-05-18
Glen Burnie, MD

crgauth to navyson

to navyson
said by navyson:

How much additional per month are you willing to pay to get the new media server?

Hard to say at this point until all the features are known. But would be ok with paying what I am paying today (others were wondering if price should drop).
navyson
Upper Marlboro, MD

navyson

said by crgauth:

said by navyson:

Hard to say at this point until all the features are known. But would be ok with paying what I am paying today (others were wondering if price should drop).

Why would the prices drop? Verizon never drops prices.They have said repeatedly that they won't compete on price since it considers itself as offering a premium product.

I would be shocked if Verizon offers all these new features for the same price as the current DVR.
navyson

navyson to bsangs

to bsangs
said by bsangs:

said by navyson:

said by crgauth:

There are several other differences as well - including the fact that FiOS has over 50,000 On Demand offerings, while Directv has about 10,000.

Great if you consider On Demand offerings important. I rarely ever watch anything on demand. I DVR 99% of my viewing.