join:2001-04-10
Geneva, IL

BK3 to takeahike

to takeahike

Re: Fuck Dell

said by takeahike:

said by BK3:

said by takeahike:

Wow, you charge twice the amount I do for the same work.

Well, if I was doing this just for beer and pizza half the amount would be fine. Do you have a "day" job that pays the mortgage? Do you just work out of your house?

Yes, Global corp IT support.
Yes
If anyone tried to charge the prices you do here in my neck of the woods, my side work would jump to such an amount that I would not be able to keep up, nor would I try. I try to limit myself to 1 or 2 a week, that's all I want. I don't sell systems, software or add-ons, and only the occasional repair part (not marked up).

95% of the computers people bring to me to work on are Dell, (mostly software issues) plus where I work is a Dell shop. So all day and into the night it is Dell, Dell, Dell. So, I have gotten quite proficient at working with Dells of all models.

takeahike
You sure ask a lot of dumb questions
Premium Member
join:2005-01-07
Catacombs

takeahike

Premium Member

I guess different parts of the country have different rates. What are major retailers--for example, Geek Squad or Staples--or small independent shops in your area charging?

BK3
join:2001-04-10
Geneva, IL

1 edit

BK3

said by takeahike:

I guess different parts of the country have different rates. What are major retailers--for example, Geek Squad or Staples--or small independent shops in your area charging?

The only big box near me is Best Buy - The rates are set by the BB corp. I don't track them. They don't have a sign out displaying the rates. Several people have come to me after GS really messed up their computer. The GS reputation around here is very low. People seem to like me when I do the service work.

OOOps - forgot - There is a Staples near me, but I have never seen or heard of anyone getting a computer serviced there. I don't remember a sign or advertisement telling the rates.

There used to be a CompUSA near here. They were charging $100.00 up front to look at a machine, then applying that to the labor if you accepted the estimate. They are now out of business - need I say more?

Edit - spelling

takeahike
You sure ask a lot of dumb questions
Premium Member
join:2005-01-07
Catacombs

takeahike

Premium Member

Thanks! The big box stores are out-of-business more because of on-line pricing of components. Probably their service kept them in business as long as it could, similar to car dealerships who often have to sell their inventory at cut-rate prices. I'm sure you've noticed in the business news that Best Buy is in deep trouble and is making it into articles discussing brands that may no longer be here at the end of 2013.