uniqs

battlesite
Premium Member
join:2001-03-24
Burbank, CA

battlesite

Premium Member

Are after market batteries okay?

I'm looking to buy a cheap after market battery to use as a back up for my Verizon Galaxy S3. I often have to spend an entire day away from any electrical outlets so this seemed like the simplest option to ensure that I make it through the whole day. I found a battery for $6.

Does anyone know of any problems that can be caused by using non-Samsung batteries?

I also plan to buy a couple of cheap chargers, including one for my car. Are those okay?

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH

trparky

Premium Member

I'd suggest to stay away from those really cheap aftermarket batteries. They have a tendency to explode.

I'd stick to the OEM batteries and not any of the cheap Chinese knockoffs.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

I'd second this. A $700 device is the last thing you want to risk. Spend the $40 for OEM. You get what you pay for.

PeeWee
Premium Member
join:2001-10-21
Madera, CA

1 edit

PeeWee to battlesite

Premium Member

to battlesite
I guess I've been under a rock. I haven't heard of one exploding. I think I would have heard of the lawsuit! I thought the only concern would have been NFC compatibility.

Google = one story less than eight years old and it refers to the subject of exploding batteries being extremely rare.

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH

trparky

Premium Member

Who can you sue when the company that made that cheap battery is some shell company that exists only in China?

PeeWee
Premium Member
Madera, CA

PeeWee

Premium Member

said by trparky:

Who can you sue when the company that made that cheap battery is some shell company that exists only in China?

All the more reason to have made the news!

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2

MVM

Whether or not a battery actually explodes, there are many, many complaints about cheap/knock-off batteries that simply do not properly function, or have an incredibly short life-span.

You should be able to find OEM batteries at a good savings...but for $6, you can pretty well predict that these will be a problem.

mromero
Premium Member
join:2000-12-07
Fullerton, CA

mromero to battlesite

Premium Member

to battlesite
i bought a monoprice battery for my s3. works great if you don't need nfc.

PeeWee
Premium Member
Madera, CA

PeeWee to PeteC2

Premium Member

to PeteC2
More likely been on the shelf too long and only last 6 months or a year. But a tendency to explode is an irrational statement. Sounds like something overheard in an Apple store.

marti
Color outside the lines
MVM
join:2001-12-14
Houston, TX

marti to battlesite

MVM

to battlesite
I buy OEM batteries for Mobile Phone. Have three of them, plus two OEM battery chargers, in case the power goes out here for a long period of time. I also have many OEM chargers, as well as non-OEM chargers.
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope to battlesite

Premium Member

to battlesite
Keep in mind that batteries that inexpensive probably don't have an NFC antenna. So you won't be able to use NFC with them.

I bought an "OEM" Samsung battery with NFC antenna for about $25.

PeeWee
Premium Member
Madera, CA

PeeWee

Premium Member

Isn't Verizon (and i wouldn't know how many others) still blocking NFC? Or is that only Wallet?

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME

1 recommendation

lordpuffer to battlesite

Premium Member

to battlesite
I wouldn't buy an aftermarket battery or charger for the S3. I've done that for other phones in the past and had problems.

The S3 is an expensive device, so it's really worth the money for OEM.....IMO.
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope to PeeWee

Premium Member

to PeeWee
said by PeeWee:

Isn't Verizon (and i wouldn't know how many others) still blocking NFC? Or is that only Wallet?

They are only blocking GW, not NFC. NFC can be used for payments (ISIS... when it rolls out national) but also for reading/writing NFC stickers. I use the stickers all of the time (one at work launches Pandora and turns down the music volume. One at bed side dock launches my alarm and turns down all volume).
tcope

tcope to lordpuffer

Premium Member

to lordpuffer
The battery itself has charging protection.

As mentioned, I've not read of a single problem with aftermarket batteries or chargers. I'd imagine that a few million are in use.

The technology (at least for charges) is pretty much all the same these days. They (and the batteries as well) usually all come from the same manufacture. Some get brand names, some don't.

But there is nothing wrong with paying a little more for piece of mind.

Fir_Na_Tine
Time to get riggity riggity wrecked son
Premium Member
join:2001-01-03
South Jersey

Fir_Na_Tine to battlesite

Premium Member

to battlesite
I bought two Chinese knock off batteries for my HTC Incredible before and they have worked great. I paid around $30 I think for two batteries plus wall charger. I'd stay away from the $6 ones though.

Nick
Purveyor of common sense
MVM
join:2000-10-29
Smithtown, NY

Nick to battlesite

MVM

to battlesite
You'd be ok going with something like this with your phone:

»samsung.mobilefulfilment ··· 6UBUGSTD

My wife has a Galaxy 2 and a similar product for her phone and she gets good battery use out of it.

You'll have to wait a short while until they are readily available from places like Amazon/Newegg.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0 to trparky

Premium Member

to trparky
said by trparky:

I'd suggest to stay away from those really cheap aftermarket batteries. They have a tendency to explode.

I'd stick to the OEM batteries and not any of the cheap Chinese knockoffs.

Well maybe the really cheap ones... but the still cheaper than OEM often have more capacity than the OEM batts.

Examples got them for both a phone and camera... forget the phone difference.... but on cam OEM was 750mah the cheap replacement was 1200mah and using it seems to be true. Haven't done the actual math but lasts much longer. And likely there is a much more expensive extend life OEM... so not the package is not capable.