spc
uniqs

Kitlope
join:2004-07-29
Edmonton, Ab

2 edits

Kitlope to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ

Re: Anybody else watching the 1992 World Series on Sportsnet?

woohooo! Blue Jays won in six. Not as dramatic as in 1993 with Carter's home run but a great series nonetheless. And even though I'm now watching Spengler Cup action I can still see and hear the Braves chop & chant.
DSMdude
join:2012-06-30
Kitchener, ON

DSMdude

My dad took me and my two brothers to Game 3 during the 1992 series. What an incredible experience
Walter Dnes
join:2008-01-27
Thornhill, ON

Walter Dnes to Kitlope

to Kitlope
said by Kitlope:

woohooo! Blue Jays won in six. Not as dramatic as in 1993 with Carter's home run but a great series nonetheless.

My memory of 1992 was from the ALCS, game 4. No, it was not Alomar's home run, but rather an earlier play that made that home run meaningful. Any baseball historians here?

The Jays were up 2 games to 1. I believe it was around the 7th inning or so of game 4. The Jays were down by a score of 6 to 1. A throw to the infield (after a hit) went near either the catcher or the 3rd baseman. There was an Oakland runner advancing around 3rd towards home. Rather than go after the ball, the Toronto player let it roll into the (I think it was Oakland) dugout. The umpire ruled that the Oakland player was closer to 3rd than home, and that no run was awarded. If the Toronto player had gone after the ball and retrieved it, he probably could not have thrown the Oakland player out at home. So instead of a 5-run lead, Oakland would've had a 6-run lead. Alomar's homer would not have tied the game. Instead of going into game 5 with the Jays up 3 games to 1, the series would've been tied at 2 games each, and history might have been different.