Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

randun5
Premium
join:2005-10-08
Hillsborough, NC

[TWC] User Guide/Manual

I just upgraded my service today & had a Ubee DVW3201B modem installed. Of course, the UG is nowhere to be found on the TWC website, so does anyone know where I can locate a legitimate copy online? Thanks.

Fleeced

join:2012-10-06
kudos:2

1 recommendation

You won't find a user guide for them from TWC as TWC usually tells you not to mess them (That's what you're paying them for).

A quick google didn't turn up much. What are you trying to do?

randun5
Premium
Hillsborough, NC

They actually have user guides & manuals for just about every piece of equipment that they use except for mine!

As I told a rep on Twitter yesterday, I simply like to have them on hand for reference & troubleshooting when needed, nothing more.

Fleeced

reply to randun5

I can't even find the device on Ubee's website (Cursory glance). If you're wanting to do specific features or setup or specific routing functions I would get your own router and use that or Google for a guide specifically for the thing you're trying to do, or ask here.

"Troubleshooting" is generally routine: Check cables and reboot the modem.

randun5
Premium
Hillsborough, NC

Same here. Of course, there are a slew of 'rogue' sites supposedly offering download of the manual but none are legit.

I've got a few years under my belt in working with modems, routers, & networking, but having the manual for the specific piece of equipment is nice to have, regardless if the equipment is mine or not.

Happydude32
Premium
join:2005-07-16
kudos:1
reply to Fleeced

quote:
can't even find the device on Ubee's website (Cursory glance).
I just did a Yahoo search for the model number and it was the second link in the results No user manual though, just a breif product description.

»www.ubeeinteractive.com/products···dvw3201b

It's a DOCSIS 3 Wireless Gateway/eMTA. A few months ago I swapped out my two modem solution for one of these all in ones. I had the choice between that UBee model and the Arris TG852G. I went with the Arris. The lady at the TW Store game me a two page user guide with it, that may be sitting in the back of my car still, if I didn't throw it out.
--
iPhone: 4” 1136 X 640 Display, 1.30 GHz Dual Core Processor, 1 GB RAM
MyPhone: 5” 1920 X 1080 Display, 1.50 GHz Quad Core Processor, 2 GB RAM
So tell me, why is exactly is the iPhone so great?
Droid Does What Jobs Won’t Let You Do.

randun5
Premium
Hillsborough, NC

Click for full size
downloadUbee Ambit D··· AWG.pdf 183,291 bytes
Ubee Product Spec Guide
I've attached the only doc on the TWC site thst they had for my equipment, a Ubee product spec guide.

The tech thought he had an Arris on his truck, but didn't so I went ahead with the Ubee.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

Why would you allow TWC to give you a crap modem? Accept ONLY Motorola 6141. NEVER accept a junk modem that has supposedly router, family controls, etc. Use YOUR ROUTER. Accept only a MODEM without other junk included.

Fleeced

reply to randun5

Or you can have it bridged so none of the "junk" is present. Lots of people on here do that and don't have an issue.

randun5
Premium
Hillsborough, NC

Why would you allow TWC to give you a crap modem? Accept ONLY Motorola 6141. NEVER accept a junk modem that has supposedly router, family controls, etc. Use YOUR ROUTER. Accept only a MODEM without other junk included.

said by Fleeced:

Or you can have it bridged so none of the "junk" is present. Lots of people on here do that and don't have an issue.

Let me first address Mele20’s comments.

Why do you feel that the Ubee is a “crap” modem? I’m in the Raleigh-Durham area of NC & the Motorola 6141 is not an option for me; only the Ubee or an Arris.

What “JUNK” are you referring to? I had a Cisco Valet M20 router, whose signal wasn’t performing well in my home. I had thought about upgrading to another router of my own, but of course, TWC is not going to be responsible for servicing it. In addition, I had a problem awhile back with a different TWC modem & my own router & they tried to blame the issue on my router.

Bottom line for me is if the TWC equipment performs the way I expect it to, I’d rather leave well enough alone.

Now to Fleeced’s comment about bridging so that none of the “junk” is present. I’m presuming that you are referring to bridge the TWC modem with a router of my own if I chose to go that route, correct? If not, why would I want to bridge my LAN & local network at this point?

My understanding of bridging is that by creating one between an Internet connection and a network connection creates an unprotected link between my network and the Internet, which makes my network accessible to anyone on the Internet. True?

spyderzen

join:2012-02-18
Westland, MI
reply to randun5

to log into them try user/user if can get the 10. IP try admin & then cableroot

randun5
Premium
Hillsborough, NC

said by spyderzen:

to log into them try user/user if can get the 10. IP try admin & then cableroot

Thanks for the tip. "user/user" did the trick.

Fleeced

reply to randun5

"Bridging" in this form simply means turning off TWC's router functionality and using your own. At that point your router would handle all the firewall issues, so unless it was turned off, you would still have that protection.

The NAT funtionality on the all in ones (Not just TWC's) is poor at best. If you only have a few devices it works fine, but if you start loading up a bunch of devices, I've heard reports of the all in one routers locking up or rebooting or other strange things because the router can't handle that load, whereas third party routers have no problems. That way all of your protection/routing is handled on your side and you can make changes easier, rather than calling in to have stuff changed (if they'll even support some of it).

randun5
Premium
Hillsborough, NC

said by Fleeced:

"Bridging" in this form simply means turning off TWC's router functionality and using your own. At that point your router would handle all the firewall issues, so unless it was turned off, you would still have that protection.

The NAT funtionality on the all in ones (Not just TWC's) is poor at best. If you only have a few devices it works fine, but if you start loading up a bunch of devices, I've heard reports of the all in one routers locking up or rebooting or other strange things because the router can't handle that load, whereas third party routers have no problems. That way all of your protection/routing is handled on your side and you can make changes easier, rather than calling in to have stuff changed (if they'll even support some of it).

We're on the same page re bridging. Just so happens that I lost my network today so having my own router would have come in handy!

I currently have only 5 devices on my network & I don't see it growing by no more than possibly 1 more device. That said, based on what happened today, I may be second-thinking getting my own upgraded router.