SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
join:2006-01-11
not Sweden
kudos:1

1 recommendation

AWD Rider: Winter Snow Removal

I posted this in the Connecticut forum winter thread, but thought it might be appreciated here as well. My AWD Rider snow thrower was finally put to use today after about a foot of snow last night, and it was UNSTOPPABLE!!

With no tire ballast, no wheel weights, and no chains, and starting from the bottom of my driveway, up a constant 9-degree slope, it never slipped or hesitated once!! It bit the ground and somehow knew where to send traction. Snow was flying at peak setting at least 40-50 feet. It was super impressive. I got done in record time, and got two of my neighbor's driveways done so I could get some more seat time.

I had a couple of quick videos shot from indoors, but during the next storm, I intend to get some better video. These videos really don't do it justice... but at least for now you can have a look.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA75fPyRufs

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUhFW1F2Rqg

I did learn from this first trial, and I have some pathway ideas to make next time easier. But this is one tough machine. I honestly thought about getting some chains before the storm just to have them on hand for when my machine started to slip on the steepness, but I would have never used them. Frankly, that Rider has better traction than my vehicles. When I was all done, and the road was packed with a slick, icy coating (sun was coming out), I tried to navigate up it, just to see if it could do it, and it never spun, complained or hesitated. It was freakish actually!

Consider me impressed!

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4
We only got 4 in but I need one of those.

Like it!!!!

Hallo lisa Aus Amerika
Premium
join:2001-08-31
Byron, GA
reply to SwedishRider
i Don't need it never snows and when it does only 3-4 inches.

Good job......

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
I could be using one right about now. Have a few acres of hill country I'd like to mow. Just replace the snowblower with the flail mower -- nice machine. Glad the snow and ice wasn't the problem feared!

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
join:2006-01-11
not Sweden
reply to SparkChaser
Thanks! I was very skeptical that it could climb my steep driveway and throw snow while ascending (especially without extra weight and chains), but it far exceeded my expectations!!

Bring on another storm!!

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
reply to SwedishRider
Looks like your expectations have been exceeded. Congratulations.

Hallo lisa Aus Amerika
Premium
join:2001-08-31
Byron, GA
reply to SwedishRider
said by SwedishRider:

Thanks! I was very skeptical that it could climb my steep driveway and throw snow while ascending (especially without extra weight and chains), but it far exceeded my expectations!!

Bring on another storm!!

Start renting it out!!! Money money money!!!!
--
Holocaust survivors and their family's fill this out.
»online.ushmm.org/registry/update···form.php

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
This last storm we got here in NE Ohio, I cleaned no less than seven driveways with my Cub/snowblower. I have a set of suitcase weights (4x42#) hanging on a heavy bracket on the back of my tractor... not so much for traction as to counter-balance the blower during transport. The tractor, alone, weighs over 800# (+my fat-ass 236#) and the suitcase weights (168#) provide more than enough traction. I had a couple of neighbors/friends that were out of town for Christmas and I thought it would be nice to have them be able to come home to a cleaned driveway. I did a few more, just for the "seat time", too. The snow was pretty heavy... too heavy to make shoveling much fun. Especially where the plows deposited street slush at the ends. I figure that once I get dressed to be out in the weather, I'm going to enjoy myself outside as much as possible.

As one neighbor stated, "It's sure nice to have the right power tool for the job!!!" Yep... it sure is!
--
Keep your eye on the ball, your shoulder to the wheel, your nose to the grindstone, and your ear to the ground. Now, try to work in that position!!!

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4
reply to SwedishRider
I remember your concern about the slop. I'm glad it does the job well.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
reply to SwedishRider
With its weight, it's no surprise it didn't slip.

My Sno-Tek 24" handled with ease the 1.5 feet of snow we got last Thursday (and up to 3-4 feet snow banks), but it definitively needs tire chains to push through heavy thick snow and patches of snow iced on the asphalt.

Hellrazor
Bah Humbug

join:2002-02-02
Abyss, PA

1 recommendation

reply to SwedishRider
Snow blowing towards the house is all cool until you hit a rock...

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
kudos:2
... or even a few chunks of solid ice!!! Most sidings and windows don't play well with frozen water chunks.

jrs8084
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to 08034016
Same here-I look out the window when I see a dusting and think to myself-"Yeah!-no work today!" I don't miss shoveling that stuff.

That does look like a very nice snow thrower-and all I ever had to deal with was the flatlands of the midwest. I can't imaging trying to clear hilly land.

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3
reply to SwedishRider
After the summer of angst, I'm glad to see this worked out well!

Snowgasm 2012!