Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

devolic
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oscoda, MI

DVD Burners

What brands make good DVD burners? All I need is DVD-9 nothing bigger.
--
WinXP Pro SP3

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
They are so standard I am not sure there is a best one. Lite-On, Samsung, Asus... take your pick.

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to devolic
Love anything by LG. I have not had one single issue after with them after they dropped their Gold Star branding. I have "2" DVD burners by LG that have the ability to play DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray content. They also burn DVDs and (if I'm not mistaken) Blu-rays.
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

FizzyMyNizzy

join:2004-05-29
New York, NY
reply to devolic
I like lite-on.

Crash Gordon
Drive It Like You Stole It

join:2004-06-08
Smyrna, GA
Been a fan of Lite-On's since the old 411S days. Currently have a Sony Optiarc which is actually a rebranded Lite-On. Had no issues with Samsung drives in the past either.

Yeah, they are all fairly standard, only issues are that some can be quite picky about the media. My current 7260S doesn't like cheap media, but it's quite happy buring Verbatim MCC 03RG20 at 20x although it says 16x on the disk.

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
kudos:2
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to devolic
said by devolic:

What brands make good DVD burners? All I need is DVD-9 nothing bigger.

I doubt there is much difference between most consumer brands. Personally I prefer lightscribe whenever possible. Though there are some blu ray burners for under $55 that were too hard to resist.
--
"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand." - Milton Friedman"

Jan Janowski
Premium
join:2000-06-18
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to devolic
I've used Pioneer, Panasonic, LG, Samsung... $$$ doesn't seem to matter.... But the Important thing is: Keep the firmware current.. As MFG media type is tied to firmware.

The only failure's I've ever encountered is the Write Laser losing strength... Be happy. You can clean a DVD/R laser, you can't on a BR/R, it's hidden by a prism.
--
Looking for 1939 Indian Motocycle

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
reply to devolic
I've had multiple Lite-Ons both internal and external. Easy recommend for me.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to devolic
+1 on the LG - got an LG DVD-rw; and and LG Blu-ray / DVD-r; both have been solid... I'd buy another one in a heart beat.

I've also used LiteOn and Asus; never had a problem with them, either... As mentioned, they are so standard, I don't know if brand really matters.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to devolic
I have ASUS and LG Blu-Ray burners as well as NEC, Sony, Lite-On DVD burners. And so on,....

I've basically stopped using large cases instead settling for smaller sized cases (like the Antec 300) and now tend to put these cases on their side. This is to make them easily accessible and to allow them to fit in the space I have allocated for them.

So fairly standard stuff but I have noticed that my Lite-On DVD burners, of which I have three, won't eject the tray when in this orientation. All the others, ASUS, LG and so on seem to work fine regardless of their position.