Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to Bob4

Re: Special weather statement WOCN11 CWTO 241000

downloadmtl_snow.wmv 5,741,944 bytes
Video taken last Thursday afternoon showing the snow removal tractor and a guy digging his car out.

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

said by Bob4:

Video taken last Thursday afternoon showing the snow removal tractor and a guy digging his car out.

those tractors are neat...it does make me wonder why we don't have them here.

and the guy shovelling his car out from the snow...good thing he put his wiper blades up.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

said by dirtyjeffer:

and the guy shovelling his car out from the snow...good thing he put his wiper blades up.

When he parked his car and got on the train in the morning, they were predicting only 6 inches. We got 18 inches, with drifts up to 3 feet.

Hey, if you guys are metric, why do you measure snowfall amounts in inches (or feet)?

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

said by Bob4:

said by dirtyjeffer:

When he parked his car and got on the train in the morning, they were predicting only 6 inches. We got 18 inches, with drifts up to 3 feet.

Hey, if you guys are metric, why do you measure snowfall amounts in inches (or feet)?

meh, even with 6 inches, kind of stupid.

and we do metric and imperial measurements...yea, we're THAT good.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

Last Parade

join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to Bob4

said by Bob4:

said by dirtyjeffer:

The media reports in cm. Being that the average age of CanChat is 306 (DKS skews the average), and/or live close to American media, you sometimes get inches and feet.

Hydraglass
Premium
join:2002-05-08
Kingston, ON
reply to Bob4

said by Bob4:

said by dirtyjeffer:

We're slow ok... We finally after all these years accept that we buy gas in Liters and drive in Km/hr... but fuel economy on new cars is listed in L/100km AND MPG (But not US MPG, Canadian MPG - i.e. multiples of 5280 feet per Imperial Gallon (153 fl.oz as opposed to 128 fl. Oz) - so a car that gets 7.8L/100 km (which should be 2 US gallons per 62 miles, or 31MPG) is advertised as 36MPG.

Our scales still weigh us in pounds when we wonder how fat we are, and I rarely talk to anyone that says "wow that guy is 193cm tall!" - they say "Wow he's 6' 4" tall"... and we go to Rona or Lowes or Home Depot and buy 2x4's 8' long or 2x6's 12 feet long... and we buy a 10' length of conduit... but we buy a 50 meter roll of 8-2 AWG wire (that's the one that gets me the most - the wire size is in american wire gauge, but the length in meters... most of the world would buy 50 meters of 8mm2 wire, and the US would buy 175 feet of 8-2... Oh I could continue... we buy Coke or Pepsi in 355ml cans... because that's 12Oz and the bottling companies use US equipment in Canada... rather than a nice even 300mL or 400mL.. but then if we go to a bigger bottle we get 500mL or 1L or 2L bottles of Coke... but when you go to the US and buy a bottle of Coke it's also a 2L bottle - not a 2L bottle... go figure :P

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8

You forgot to mention that we measure most temperatures in Celsius degrees, but cooking temperatures are always Fahrenheit. These kinds of challenges produce ongoing stress in our lives and explain why Canadians drink so much beer and argue about anything.

Expand your moderator at work

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
reply to Hydraglass

Re: Special weather statement WOCN11 CWTO 241000

And restaurants describe the weight of their steaks in ounces...

Hydraglass
Premium
join:2002-05-08
Kingston, ON

said by Bob4:

And restaurants describe the weight of their steaks in ounces...

It's just recently I've started ordering 250g of sliced meat in the deli, as opposed to half a pound... (mind you 227g is actually closer to half a pound, but the extra ounce won't hurt -- lots of folks do still order half a pound or pound though when I'm in line.

Oh and all our cooking recipes are random... if you get a cooking magazine that's truly "Canadian" like Canadian Living and find recipes, they'll sometimes say use 200g of this, 1/2 liter of that, etc -- but more often it'll be 6 ounces of this, 12 ounces of that, half a cup of the other.... and almost all "online recipes" use US measurements for cooking... my oven can do degrees C or F - but I've always left it set to F to match cooking instructions on food packaging. (Which recently includes both types... ughh!)

Oh well!