uniqs
share rss forum feed

Hyper Static
Premium
join:2003-11-15
Olean, NY
kudos:1

HP MINI 210-1000 won't boot

I am looking at this HP mini for my brother, but he got it from someone that gave it to him, thinking that it was an easy fix. I don't know a whole lot about these things, but I am somewhat computer savvy. When I power on the mini, the HP screen pops up and then goes to a black screen and has a cursor thing up in the left hand corner that just flashes, and it just sits there blinking. I hit "esc" to get into the bios and what not, but there isn't anything in there that I can find wrong. I tested the memory and hard drive and all go on that.

Any tips from anyone? I don't even know how I would reformat this thing. I tried booting to a USB drive that I have windows 7 ultimate on and it just booted into DOS and I couldn't run the setup.exe file on there from DOS.

Let me know. And thanks in advance.

Freddy
Premium
join:2005-05-17
Arlington, VA
kudos:2

Have you tried booting the mini in safe mode?

captokita
Premium
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC
reply to Hyper Static

try pressing F9 when the HP logo goes away and see if you get a boot menu for recovery. These minis generally use that as a means to recover themselves. You can try F8 as well, but I think F9 points to the recovery partition directly.

Hyper Static
Premium
Olean, NY

Click for full size
This is what I get when I do the F9. Nothing there to do a recovery. When I try to do the F8 during boot, nothing happens either and it goes to the black screen with the cursor underline thing flashing in the top left corner.

Can you recover any files on these at this point, or is it just a matter of doing a fresh install?

Oh yeah, how do you do a fresh install on these? (lol)

Hyper Static
Premium
Olean, NY
reply to Freddy

said by Freddy:

Have you tried booting the mini in safe mode?

Not sure how I do this, so no.

Freddy
Premium
join:2005-05-17
Arlington, VA
kudos:2

Review the information at the following HP website for possible useful steps to take:

»h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/Te···00006110

The information provided is considerable, so you need to take your time to review carefully.

Freddy

Hyper Static
Premium
Olean, NY

said by Freddy:

Review the information at the following HP website for possible useful steps to take:

The information provided is considerable, so you need to take your time to review carefully.

Freddy

This information really doesn't help me at all. As usual, the information they give you on the site, does not apply to the situation that I am encountering.
I have no options to restore or anything like that.

I did somehow manage to boot into HP QuickWeb, where there is some linux based OS and could see all the files that I wanted to backup, but there weren't any options to copy files (or the like) to a USB drive that was plugged in.

Thanks for the help folks.

Max_War

join:2002-11-30
Scarborough, ON
reply to Hyper Static

Grab a USB stick with 4GB or more capacity. Get the following programs: YUMI, Parted Magic, Windows 7 (or XP) ISO file (you can use ImgBurn to convert any CD/DVD to an ISO).

Insert the USB stick, launch YUMI. Select Parted Magic from the list and tell it where the ISO is. Click create. Select Yes to add another ISO, select Windows Vista/7/8 installer and browse to the ISO. Click create.

Plug the USB into the HP mini and you should be able to boot from it. Use Parted Magic to see if you can check the drive for errors or backup the files (instead of Parted Magic you can use another BootCD program like Hiren's BootCD).

Once done, reboot and launch the Windows installer if needed.

captokita
Premium
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC
reply to Hyper Static

said by Hyper Static:

Can you recover any files on these at this point, or is it just a matter of doing a fresh install?

Well, so long as it has a standard hard drive, you can pull it, put it into another system, and try to access it there. It SHOULD be a standard SATA hard drive. Some of these minis can be a PITA to get the drive out of, but they're not special.

quote:
Oh yeah, how do you do a fresh install on these? (lol)

Try this link:

That's HPs instructions on running the recovery on the minis. Good luck!

Hyper Static
Premium
Olean, NY
reply to Hyper Static

I ended up using a thumb drive with the parted magic and windows to recover and do a fresh install.

Thanks for the help folks! Best place to come for help!