uniqs
share rss forum feed

Leathal
Premium
join:2002-02-09
canada
kudos:2

[TV] Fibe

Is there anyway to get Fibe TV without having to pay extra for the internet?

I don't pay Rogers extra money each month for internet to get their HD stations...

Thanks

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4

Generally speaking, no. It is their policy to sell their internet product alongside their IPTV product. Some customers have reported success in getting bell to not charge for the internet service in exchange for promising to not use it, but the majority of them were existing fivb TV AND internet customers.

Leathal
Premium
canada

Well it wouldn't be very hard for Bell to lock the modem down so that people couldn't use it for the internet. But thanks for sharing that info.

Martin
Premium
join:2005-05-05
@bell.ca
kudos:3
reply to Leathal

The problem is that applications FibeTV using Internet...

Leathal
Premium
canada

1 edit

So they should provide a single port modem that only the receiver plugs into and the receiver itself communicates with Bell. We don't live in the stone ages anymore so this is nothing new.

grunze510

join:2009-02-14
Cote Saint-Luc, QC
kudos:1

said by Leathal:

So they should provide a single port modem that only the receiver plugs into and the receiver itself communicates with Bell. We don't live in the stone ages anymore so this is nothing new.

And seeing how their modems are so locked down anyway, they could easily disable the other 3 ports on a 4 port modem/router combo.

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4

said by grunze510:

said by Leathal:

And seeing how their modems are so locked down anyway, they could easily disable the other 3 ports on a 4 port modem/router combo.

Couldn't they attach a switch to the one port and use both TV and internet? I'm sure there are ways that Bell could ensure that non IPTV traffic doesn't get to those who don't pay for internet but I guess they made the business decision not to.

A non

@videotron.ca
reply to Leathal

no need to disable anything, Bell can just close down the internet account, that way the b1 number in the modem is no longer valid so it can't authenticate, TV will work but no internet

A non

@videotron.ca

actually that would work on FTTH, not sure on FTTN

RickStep
Premium
join:2002-11-25
Hamilton, ON
reply to Leathal

I agree with all the suggestions here; but that would remove the trap & game.

The onus is on the subscriber to not use the Internet. If a subscriber downloads so much as a byte of information, Bell will begin to charge you in perpetuity for Internet until the account is closed.

If you add up the number of Bell customers that won't complain; Bell wins; even if Bell is at fault.

Rick

urbang33k

join:2010-02-13
Canada
reply to Leathal

Well, I don't think it's as draconian as you think.

I think it has to do with the iTV apps on the box that require internet access and, as long as they want to provide said iTV app content, there has to be access to the internet WAN side VLAN which means an internet session has to be established. It may or may not even be up to Bell here. Remember Bell didn't create this product, the FibeTV receivers run on Microsoft Media Room. It may be a request of a third party to have these iTV apps running for licensing requirements - but who know, that's just me speculating.

All traffic comes in on the same 'pipe' be it a DSL or FTTH. That pipe is divided into VLANS to segregate traffic. All the TV video comes in on one VLAN and ALL internet traffic comes in on another. As far as I know there is no access to the internet VIA the TV sessions WAN VLAN. And why would there be? It'd be too risky to have a public entry point into unicast/multicast network when you have such strict QoS measures on it - feeding tens of thousands of customers.

The argument about locking out a port on the back of the modem is currently somewhat moot. The problem there is your not considering that the ports are designed and intended to be dual purpose. The installer may NOT use ANY ethernet ports on the back of the modem, or he many use ALL of them for his FibeTV install.

ALL devices plugged into your sagemcom on your LAN side, including the FibeTV receivers, are on the same subnet. It also doesn't matter if the FibeTV receivers are connected via coax or ethernet. They all get an address in the 192.168.2.x range.

So basically after typing all that, I'm just trying to make the point that it may not be as simple as you'd like to think.
--
Opinions and ideas expressed in my post are my own and in no way represent those of Bell Canada Enterprises, Bell Canada, Bell TV, Bell Internet, Bell Mobility, Bell Technical Solutions, Expertech, or any other partners under the BCE umbrella.

Dunlop

join:2011-07-13
reply to Leathal

You technically can, some people have been successful (ask for zero rated internet with retentions)...I was not one of those people ; (

Gonna be killer gong from 250GB with Electonic Box to 75 GB