share rss forum feed

clevere1
Premium
join:2002-01-06
Vancouver, WA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

Anyone ever rent those fiberoptic cameras?

The kind you see plumbers using to inspect drains?

The reason I ask is that I would like to inspect my duct work for my furnace (from the furnace to the end of the line, etc) and I thought this might be a good way to look for cracks, broken lines, etc.
--
Where's th' DAFFY DUCK EXHIBIT??

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

Only place that I know of around here rents them requires you to have a master plumbers license and it's still close to $300 per day. If you could figure a way to propel it through the duct you can buy USB inspection cameras pretty cheap on Ebay with up to 15 meter cables (maybe longer, not sure).

Expand your moderator at work

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

Re: Anyone ever rent those fiberoptic cameras?

They evidently rent them at Home Depot in a very select few markets. That is what got me searching for one in my area last year. Availability was as I posted in my first post.

Wireless camera may be a problem in metal ducts.

[Edit] Interesting that John Andrews See Profile has only posted twice since joining DSLReports and has SPAMMED both times with a link to Best Vinyl fencing and supplies

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
reply to clevere1

TBH unless the cracks are big, you won't see much in your duct lines.

You gotta "feel" the air flowing out from the outside of the duct unless, otherwise you'll only be able to visually notice big gaps.

themagicone

join:2003-08-13
Osseo, MN
reply to clevere1

RC car, Gopro camera and a led flashlight.

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable
reply to clevere1

Years ago I found two places that would rent them. One was somewhere south, maybe Texas, and they would do weekly rentals with overnight shipping. In other words, cheaper to have a local plumber do it.

The other was in Chicago and I could drive there, but four hours round trip no traffic, plus some time to actually use the thing and deal with life, means a two-day rental. It was cheaper than the first place, but not cheap enough.
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your USNG coordinates:
USNGWeb