share rss forum feed

boontonflyer

join:2004-07-05
Ringoes, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

[WHS] Can not get a WIN 8 client PC to restore on WHS Ver.1

Tried the 90 day evaluation WIN 8 O/S on an existing WIN 7 64 bit(HP G72 t laptop). Want to restore the PC to WIN 7 and the "PC restore disc" will not locate the running WHS . Restore function works fine on another HP WIN 7 64 bit desktop on same network.
All machines are Ethernet connected to system.

Can load "client connector software" on the WIN 8 computer and see it as a "client " and back it up if I wanted to.

Paul

1/3/2013

Does anyone with WHS Ver. 1 have any thoughts on what might be the problem ?????

Paul

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
There may be some odd bugs here and there that prevent connection to the WHS (v1 PP3) using the restore disc but the main issue when I had problems was simply that it needed to use 32bit drivers for the NIC.

64bit drivers likely won't work.

boontonflyer

Ringoes, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
Also have the 32 bit driver for the NIC on the flash drive with the other drivers . That "restore client " disk and that flash drive works on another 64 bit HP computer on the same network. I had also used those same two devices (restore disk and flash drive) previously on the "problem computer" when it had WIN 7 64 bit loaded on it.
Thanks for the response.

Paul

boontonflyer

Ringoes, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
Was not able to get the "PC Client Restore" mode to work but did manage to download an ISO and re-image the laptop to WIN 7. When I re-imaged the laptop WHS listed it as a "new PC client" . That gave me the ability to restore folders from the prior "PC client " to the current.

This salvaged a lot of work on programs like "Google Picasa" where I had catalogged / facial recognition on ~~ 35,000 images.

Paul

boontonflyer

Ringoes, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
Finally was able to resolve this problem . Can now "restore" all three PC's. Problem apparently was that changes/updates in Windows 7 had caused incompatibility between WHS "PC Restore CD" and Realtek Network Driver in PC's. Couldn't find a workable driver from HP or Realtek. Finally found one (32 bit and 64 bit combination) through a Lenovo site that worked.

Paul