Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

SteveJobs

join:2012-07-18
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

Router issue

Lately we have been having lots of problems with our router, mainly wireless. Our wireless will stop working and we always have to reboot our modem. Though our computer, which is connected via a LAN, seems to be dictating what our router does. Sometime the Internet light goes off, and then in order for it to work again we have to turn off our computer, it installs updates on the computer, then I have to reboot the modem, then turn everything back on and it works for maybe an hour. Then repeat. Any ideas?

jamesonnorth

join:2012-12-22
Modoc, IN

A computer on the LAN shouldn't have any impact on the router. It's possible the DHCP server on the router is running out of assignable IP addresses. Go into the router's firmware and change the IP address lease time to 1 day or even 3 or 7 days. It's not the best option for wireless, but it will work okay if you don't have lots of guests.

As for the wireless, try disabling as many options as possible and ensuring you're not having interference from neighbors or devices in your home. Use a program like MacStumbler or the windows/linux equivalent to scan the area around your router (when the router is off) and then set the router to the cleanest channel. Use Wireless N only, if your devices support it. You could try shortening the beacon interval on the router, though I'm not sure how you'd do it for your hardware.

As for the internet light going off, that likely means your modem is losing sync. That can be a line problem, though it might be best to have a DSL tech move you to a different DSLAM port or a different DSLAM altogether. Sometimes their hardware does go bad.

Alternately, if you're not losing sync and you're just losing connection to the internet, some modems do have an option to only hold a DSL connection as long as is needed and then it disconnects. This is useful if you're having unexplained phone line interference or if there's something adversely affected by the DSL connection and a user would want to limit the time that device or service is affected. This is rare though.
--
CompTIA Net+ Network Administrator - I know networks!
Professional Photographer - www.jnphoto.biz - Weddings and Senior Photos
Nice and comfy with Frontier DSL: I can help with your issues!
»speedtest.net/result/2387637868.png

SteveJobs

Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to SteveJobs

Thanks for your reply! We have 14 wireless devices and 1 wired device on the network, or should I still change the lease time?

We can't change it to n only because some devices don't support the 5GHz frequency and we can't change the channels because a frontier rep said not to change them because our iPhones won't work with them. I had it on channel 8 and our devices wouldn't stay connected.

SteveJobs

reply to SteveJobs

And I just checked and on our routers admin oage it says PPP: Down

jamesonnorth

join:2012-12-22
Modoc, IN
reply to SteveJobs

Frontier reps are often misguided about a great many things. While it's true many devices won't see WiFi when it's not on channel 1, 6, or 11, that doesn't necessarily preclude devices from using a particular frequency.

If the modem said PPP down and the only way to fix it is by rebooting, I imagine you have a hardware issue and the only easy fix is a new modem. It could be bad firmware, but if it was, I think you'd know by now unless it's just suddenly went bad, which can happen.

Try a different modem if one is available. If not, I'd get one for backup anyway.
--
CompTIA Net+ Network Administrator - I know networks!
Professional Photographer - www.jnphoto.biz - Weddings and Senior Photos
Nice and comfy with Frontier DSL: I can help with your issues!
»speedtest.net/result/2387637868.png

SteveJobs

reply to SteveJobs

Alrighty, but its still the strangest thing! Seems like it only does this during the night.

And we already have a backup router from frontier.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:2

Steve what model modems do you have?

SteveJobs

We have the frontier provided netgear 7550

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

Steve - over the last few days I have had a similar issue. I have two DSL lines from Frontier. MY primary line is fairly stable but my secondary line is not. I loose connectivity during the evening hours. There are times that I can pull PPP connection but will not pull an IP address. Then there are other times where I am not even able to pull a PPP connection. To set others minds at ease, I have three spare modems and they all exhibit the same problem and they all work without issue on my primary line. They are currently working the issue.

Put a call into Frontier, just give them the symptoms and don't add anything else to the report. Let them work the issue. You will, more than likely, have to become a squeaky wheel.

SteveJobs

Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

I'm glad someone else had this issue, but yet it's not good that we are having this problem. It just happened today this morning. My PPP seems to always be down.

I wish I could call FTR but its my moms job to do that.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..
reply to SteveJobs

N only won't stop non-5Ghz devices from connecting. It's a misconception that only N devices operate on the 5Ghz band. Wireless N is supported on both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. The Netgear 7550s if this is what you have work with 2.4Ghz only. Setting it to Wireless N will allow non-2.4Ghz Wireless N devices to connect but will block G and B devices from associating.

As suggested above consider checking over your gateway's settings and even try a factory reset in case Frontier pushed out a firmware upgrade to it. If you have anything such as Afterburner enabled in the Wi-Fi, shut it off. Keep it to strict WPA2 Security. Also consider shutting off anything such as UPnP and if you have installed any new programs or devices, see if taking them off helps with the issue first.

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV

Good point Smith6612. My response was just addressing the PPP issue on the DSL side.

SteveJobs

Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to SteveJobs

My mother informed me that after I left the house today that a frontier truck drove by....darn...I woulda sat on my front doorstep and flagged him down!

But nonetheless, a router restore has been done, things seem a little better, PPP still down, haven't dropped the connection yet.

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV

Steve just out of curiosity can you post a screen capture of the "My Gateway" page?

SteveJobs

Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to SteveJobs

Click for full size
Is this what you wanted?

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV

Steve - I have not used Routed Bridge mode, but it is my understanding when in Routed Bridge mode you will see PPP listed as down. Can someone experienced with the Route Bridge mode confirm that?

SteveJobs

I have restored my router and I have not experienced any issues at all.

And what's routed bridge? That's using a LAN, right?

SteveJobs

reply to SteveJobs

I jinxed myself. Problem still consists.

SteveJobs

reply to SteveJobs

And hmm...my IP address has changed.

mkrasz

join:2000-03-06
Rochester, NY
reply to SteveJobs

Hank is correct. Routed Bridge mode does not use PPP. Essentially the 7550 operates as a router with the dsl interface getting its IP from Frontier via DHCP. You'll see some PPP messages in the system log, but they are not relevant in this mode.

SteveJobs

reply to SteveJobs

I talked with a friend and he says he has the same issue.