share rss forum feed

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:6

[WIN8] Purple tabs in IE 10?

Click for full size
I have some tabs that turned purple color on IE 10. Why is this?

Premium
join:2011-10-15
Brownsville, TX
this is wierd a couple days or a week or 2 i was using firefox and it did that same thing it maybe a virus or something an now you got it on your pc

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:4
Yeah, maybe they should get their computer checked for malware.... or maybe realize that the color changing at least in IE is due to tab grouping. When a new tab is opened from an existing tab it makes a tab group, and assigns a color to it, along with keeping them together.

Open two different pages from a new tab or bookmark, from those two pages open a link in those pages in a new tab, you'll have four tabs with two different color tab groups.

A simple web search would have also revealed this.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent out necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
It was new to me. I never had this on IE 8. I HATE grouped tabs. I don't allow it in other browsers. Since I have IE 6 still on my XP Pro computer and IE 8 on a virtual machine running XP Pro and don't use IE that much although I liked IE 8 and don't like IE 10 so far (maybe it will grow on me but it can't even run a spell checker correctly whereas the one on IE 8 worked fine), I don't know that much about recent IE versions. I must have it turned off on IE 8 and did that so long ago that I completely forgot about the feature. Anyhow, now that I know what that is, I disabled it. Then I restarted IE and all my tabs were missing.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

Picture #1
This is on IE9, but I believe the settings are the same for IE10.

If you go to "Internet Options", and go to the "General Tab". Near the bottom is the section called "Tabs". Clicking on the "Settings" button should bring up the above window.

To turn off tab groups, just uncheck the box "Enable Tab Groups" as indicated by the red arrow. Everything else should be left alone, as is the default for IE9.

If however, you uncheck the box at the top, you loose tab browsing.

Once you do that, you should have your tabs in IE10, and no more tab groups.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
I did NOT uncheck Enable Tabbed Browsing. But IE 10 still disappeared all my tabs when I restarted it after unchecking Enable Tab Groups. That is a bug in IE.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Cartel
Premium
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
kudos:2
IE 10 ?
Is that really you Mele20?

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
? Yeah, it's me.

I actually liked IE 8 on XP Pro on a virtual machine. Oh, I still had either Opera or Fx as my default browser but I did use IE8 a fair amount. I don't like IE 10. But I figured I wouldn't know whether I liked or disliked it if I didn't try to use it some.
--

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
reply to Mele20
Yeah I did not try it out that much. I really just set it up that way in case I ever used it. Waterfox is my default browser.

When I'm home after spending New Years Eve with my GF, I'll have to check it out and see what it does on my system. If anything, just to see if tabs works or not.

--Brian

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:14

1 edit
reply to Mele20

Im seems confusing Mele!!!! (Why change the colour of the tab just because its part of a group??)

Is there an option to change the colour of tabs?? (I wonder as in MyIE2 there is if ya wanted to change it)

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Numquam oblita
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone
kudos:57

1 recommendation

reply to Mele20

Re: [WIN8] Purple tabs in IE 10?

...I just liked the title

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

1 recommendation

That's right! You're the "Purple Lady"! (I like purple too}.