Bill In Michigan
Premium,MVM
join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

FOSS on Smart Phones - Close or Far?

Anyone following along or actually running a FOSS smart phone (not Android)?

I sense they would all be GSM. CDMA not possible? I have the general idea how this narrows carrier selection but I'm not up on data stuff (3G, LTE) at all.

A few hours of investigation is clear as mud. Some highlights from my notes...

Linux Foundation hosts Meego but switches to Tizen.
The Mer project dumps Ubuntu and forks Meego.
Nokia has mixed alliances, probably influenced by Microsoft.
The Nokia N900 seems a favorite and still available.
Samsung involved with Tizen., mostly web-based apps.
Mer starts up "Sailfish OS" and plans a product in 2013.
Indications some were using N900s running Meego in 2010...
Carrier unknown, may be EU.

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium,VIP
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

What are you looking for? Android is the only production-ready FOSS platform I know of. Everything you listed is, AFAIK, either abandon-ware or not yet released.

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
Premium,MVM
Royal Oak, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

2 edits

The "Mer" project seems closest to a real product. It does appear much has been vaporware yet someone (I think it was RMS?) listed the 3 proprietary modules (e.g. a 3G stack) which prevented a fully FOSS phone at the time of writing and it was a few years old! I'm looking for such models. Are they only vaporware or really used by a developer somewhere?

The Nokia N900 phone/tablet is such a common mention, as is the horrible affect when Nokia dropped their involvement. Lots of things indicate these are really running... probably Meego... somewhere.

But the simple answer to your question is: I want a FOSS phone and I'm wondering how close or even feasible it is - and research is clear as mud.

EDIT: Some links for the Mer Project...
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mer_%28Ope···ystem%29
»merproject.org/

FF4m3

@rr.com
reply to Bill_MI

Ubuntu Linux Comes To Smartphones - 01.02.13:

Ubuntu Linux is coming to smartphones. Canonical — the British outfit that oversees Ubuntu — has built a new version of the open source operating system for touch screens, and unlike other smartphone operating systems, it will work as a full desktop OS when connected to a monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

“We are confident that Ubuntu will ship on phones from large manufacturers in 2013,” says Canonical founder Mark Shuttleworth.

Shuttleworth sees the new version of the OS appealing to two markets: entry-level smartphone consumers and enterprises that want to give employees just one device instead of two or three.

While Apple and Microsoft have developed separate operating systems for desktops and phones, Canonical is pushing a single operating system that can adapt to different devices. For example, touch screen apps developed for the phone OS will also work on the desktop version of Ubuntu.

Following controversy over the Ubuntu’s Unity interface — and Canonical’s decision to include Amazon affiliate links in its search application — the company has moved key Ubuntu development out of the public eye, potentially alienating some of the very people Canonical needs to build applications for the platform. But Shuttleworth is confident that developers are still interested.

He also notes that thanks to Ubuntu for Android — which was released last year — users will be able to try the interface on their Android phones without committing to it. But Ubuntu won’t run Android applications, because although Android is based on Linux it has its own application environment called Dalek.

The other big question is whether manufacturers and carriers want to support and carry another smartphone brand.

“All of our conversations with manufacturers and network operators indicate that they are hungry for another partner,” Shuttleworth says. Ubuntu is compatible with the Android Board Support Package (BSP), which means it should be able to run on any practically device that can run Android, which will make it easier for manufacturers to adopt. And Canonical will provide engineering services to help manufacturers deal with supporting multiple operating systems.

As for carriers, Shuttleworth says Canonical is releasing a framework that will enable them to integrate their own services into the operating system.

FiReSTaRT
Premium
join:2010-02-26
Canada

I can't wait a phone that will ask me if I wanna call Amazon every time I try to dial one of my contacts

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
Premium,MVM
Royal Oak, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
reply to FF4m3

said by FF4m3 :

Ubuntu Linux Comes To Smartphones - 01.02.13:
(snip)

Thanks, The good news is: If anyone can do it, Mark Shuttleworth can.
The bad news is: Mark Shuttleworth is doing it. I'm sort of in FiReSTaRT See Profile's mode of thinking.

Based on what I'm seeing, it's entirely possible I'll never own a smart phone. Haven't yet and wouldn't consider what's out there now.

FF4m3

@rr.com
reply to Bill_MI

Linux-Based Tizen, Ubuntu Platforms to Make Push Into Mobile:

Samsung will this year begin selling smartphones running Tizen, the Intel-backed, Linux-based operating system that has roots in the Nokia-backed MeeGo OS.

A market of Tizen-running devices will help Samsung to lessen its reliance on Google, whose Android OS runs on Samsung's highly successful Galaxy line of devices. It will also help Intel to grab a bigger role in the mobile market. While Intel's processors dominate the PC space, competitor ARM Holdings is the brand to beat in smartphones, and Intel has been hustling to find a way to transition its business to more mobile devices as consumer tastes have moved in that direction.

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
Premium,MVM
Royal Oak, MI

Obviously, all these entities got their PR spinning because... I'm here... asking questions...