Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

vwluc

join:2011-08-10
Lewisville, TX

Where Should I Post This?

Hi Everyone,
I have a question, but am unsure where to post it. Can you help me out?
I am trying to get a wireless router set up on my sister in law's cable modem. She has a static IP (required for her to work from home {VOIP}). I called the ISP (Comcast) and they explained that she would need to buy additional static IP's in order to set up wireless. 1 static IP per device. Is there any way to set up additional static IP's without paying for them? Or is there any way to set up a wireless router that will serve multiple devices with the one static IP that she has?
Thank you!

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·Hollis Hosting
·G4 Communications

1 recommendation

It sounds like your SIL does not have a home network and is connecting her PC directly to the Comcast modem.

It depends on exactly why your SIL needs a static IP. Does the PC have to have a Public address or is it just that VoIP traffic always needs to originate from a known IP address?

1) If the only reason her company requires a static is so the employee's IP address never changes then you can set up a NAT router to share that IP and connect as many devices as you want. In that case her PC will have a private IP address but traffic to/from her office will originate from the Comcast IP. It may be necessary to set up port forwarding on the router if the office needs to originate the VoIP connection.

2) If the PC has to have the Comcast IP you can install connection sharing software on her PC, assuming she has admin rights to make changes. Not sure if Windows ICS is around anymore. Back in the 90's I used Wingate to share a connection. This requires adding a second NIC to PC and if you want to connect more than one wired device an Ethernet switch. With connection sharing software the PC act as the router.

»windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind···-Sharing

»www.wingate.com/products/wingate/index.php

3) Residential gateways may let you use the same public IP for a DMZ host (company computer) and then private addresses for other stuff. If you go that route company PC will most likely not be able to talk to other devices on the LAN. I've never used a DMZ on home router so have no direct experience.

My guess is the reason her company wants a static IP is for security so they can program firewall rules to only allow VoIP from known addresses, scenario #1. If that is the case setting up a typical home network will work just fine.

/tom

vwluc

Lewisville, TX
Thank you for your help!
As far as why she needs a static IP, I'm not positive. She works for an answering service and uses a vonage box.
You are correct, she does not have a home network. She connects directly to the comcast modem. It is the only computer in the house that has internet access. She does have admin priveleges on her computer.
We wanted to set up wifi so that my nephew can connect his laptop and other devices to access the internet.
I took a linksys wrt54g running dd-wrt and connected it to the back of the comcast modem assuming that it would be that easy. The network showed up, but it did not have internet access. That's when I called Comcast and they told me that in order to set up wifi and connect more devices they would need to purchase one Static IP per device.
I don't beleive that anyone in her small company is tech savvy enought to tell me the exact reasons that she needs the static ip.
Her current set up is Comcast box to vonage box, vonage box to pc.
I hope that sheds a little more light on the subject.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
kudos:7
What is the brand and model of the vonage box?

vwluc

Lewisville, TX
The brand is Vonage and the model is VDV21-VD.
Thank you for your help.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL
Ok.

#1 In that case, that device is a NAT router.

#2 For the purpose of backing my self up, I point to portforward.com -> Guides -> Router Screenshots Collection -> Vonage -> VDV21-VD

#3 I also looked up on Google vdv21-vd specifications and one the many results that came back, came from »reviews.cnet.com/routers/vonage-···362.html

#4 Based upon the specifications for that device, for RJ-45 ports - it has only one for the WAN and only one for the LAN.

#5 Most likely

a) the Vonage VDV21-VD is directly connected to the modem and it (the Vonage VDV21-VD) is handling the Static public IP.

AND

b) It is not a very big LAN (with the Vonage VDV21-VD and her computer), but it is a LAN.

#6 Anyways there are different ways to ad in wireless without each computer having a public Static IP. I will post all of the different ways are in my next post..

--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to vwluc
Option number one (preferred and recommend method)

#1 Log-in to the Vonage VDV21-VD and go to Basic Setup -> Local Network Setup.

#2 Make sure that the Vonage VDV21-VD DHCP range does not occupy the whole subnet.

#3 If the Vonage VDV21-VD DHCP range occupies the whole subnet, you need to make the DHCP range smaller and save your settings (press apply or save not cancel or discard)

For example if the Vonage VDV21-VD's LAN IP 192.168.15.1, the Starting IP Address is 192.168.15.2 and the Ending IP Address is 192.168.15.254, then you could make the Starting IP Address 192.168.15.100

#4 Do not have the second router yet connected to the Vonage VDV21-VD.

#5 In the second router you need to:

a) Make sure that it setup to use DHCP for the WAN port.

b) Change the LAN IP of it so that it in the same subnet as the Vonage VDV21-VD and outside of the DHCP Server of the Vonage VDV21-VD.

For example if the Vonage VDV21-VD's LAN IP 192.168.15.1, the Starting IP Address is 192.168.15.100 and the Ending IP Address is 192.168.15.254, then you could make the second router's LAN IP 192.168.15.6

c) Disable the DHCP Server in it.

d) and then save your settings.

#6 Disconnect the computer that is connected to the Vonage VDV21-VD's RJ-45 LAN port.

#7 Connect one of the RJ-45 LAN ports of the second router to the Vonage VDV21-VD's RJ-45 LAN port.

#8 Connect all of the computers by wire OR wireless to the second router, that is now acting as a Hub/Switch/Wap.

Option two (The computers will be Double NAT. This way is not recommend)

#1 Make the LAN subnet of the second router not the same LAN Subnet of the Vonage VDV21-VD is in.

For example: Have one router at 192.168.15.1 and the other at 192.168.1.1

#2 Make sure that the second router is setup to use DHCP for the WAN port.

#3 Disconnect the computer that is connected to the Vonage VDV21-VD's RJ-45 LAN port.

#4 Connect the RJ-45 WAN port of the second router to the Vonage VDV21-VD's RJ-45 LAN port (if the second RJ-45 WAN port router has more than one RJ-45 WAN port, then connect one of the RJ-45 WAN ports to the Vonage VDV21-VD's RJ-45 LAN port).

#5 Connect all of the computers by wire OR wireless to the second router.

--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.