uniqs
Fleeced
join:2012-10-06

Fleeced to randun5

to randun5

Re: [TWC] User Guide/Manual

And the reply is going to be similar:

»www.timewarnercable.com/ ··· /tv.html

That's going to be the closest to a "guide" you're going to get for the software. "Troubleshooting" hardware generally falls under reboot and swap the box. There's some other specific things, but again, most of the time a reboot will fix (If it was already working), if not, a new box.
randun5
Premium Member
join:2005-10-08
Hillsborough, NC

randun5

Premium Member

Other than My Services personal page outlining my specific equipment now in use, I was referring to the following site, that is similar to the one that you provided, but provides guides to practically every piece of equipment that they are currently using.

»www.timewarnercable.com/ ··· als.html
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32

Premium Member

There really is no need to have a user manual with this stuff. As Fleeced said, it's all about the software and pretty much the functionality of one box to the next is the same, the main issues would be DVR or Non DVR or older MDN boxes versus newer ODN boxes. The 8642 and 8742 are practically identical functioning boxes, just different looking physically and the 8742 has the external power brick. So if you absolutely must have a manual check out the one for the 8642, but looking at it, it doesn’t tell you how to use any of the functions, just how to hook it up to various types of equipment.

Since Cisco (along with Samsung and Motorola) just manufacture the set top boxes, each MSO puts their own firmware on them. Especially with firmware being updated all the time, it would be near impossible for the hardware manufactures to put out manuals. I’ve never bothered to read a user manual for anything electronic, but when I got my DirecTV DVRs last year, DirecTV provided documentation with them and briefly looked it over, the problem was it was outdated, I could tell that just by flipping through the pages.

Anywho, here’s the closest thing to a user manual you’ll find for the 8742.

»www.cisco.com/en/US/docs ··· 345C.pdf

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by Happydude32:

There really is no need to have a user manual with this stuff. As Fleeced said, it's all about the software and pretty much the functionality of one box to the next is the same, the main issues would be DVR or Non DVR or older MDN boxes versus newer ODN boxes. The 8642 and 8742 are practically identical functioning boxes, just different looking physically and the 8742 has the external power brick. So if you absolutely must have a manual check out the one for the 8642, but looking at it, it doesn’t tell you how to use any of the functions, just how to hook it up to various types of equipment.

Since Cisco (along with Samsung and Motorola) just manufacture the set top boxes, each MSO puts their own firmware on them. Especially with firmware being updated all the time, it would be near impossible for the hardware manufactures to put out manuals. I’ve never bothered to read a user manual for anything electronic, but when I got my DirecTV DVRs last year, DirecTV provided documentation with them and briefly looked it over, the problem was it was outdated, I could tell that just by flipping through the pages.

Anywho, here’s the closest thing to a user manual you’ll find for the 8742.

»www.cisco.com/en/US/docs ··· 345C.pdf

firmware is built by the hardware vendors while the software is built by the service provider or third party software company. The Cable Co does not control the firmware that is on the boxes other than stamping there approval for use in the system.

I know that the DCX3400M in my system probably has a different firmware than the DCX3400 as one is running iGuide and the other is running the tru2way Navigator.

I have seen a more advanced firmware for the DCX3400M than TWC probably uses it was 32.98 which was on a DCX3400M that my cousins have at their with suddenlink and they had iGuide A28 version 78.58 I believe I believe and it had more info than the 24.35 that iGuide boxes in the motorola areas of TWC use.
randun5
Premium Member
join:2005-10-08
Hillsborough, NC

randun5 to Happydude32

Premium Member

to Happydude32
Like I said before, I like to have them for reference. Thanks for the link.